2023 Offseason Thread

Superduperman

20 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

I think we're splitting hairs on the savior issue. Considering the size of the contract, the fact that some people were happy with the Big V signing shows me they expected him to fix (save) the RT position. I didn't read more than the first page of the thread so I wouldn't expect to find someone using the word "savior". 

I'm not talking about big names, I am discussing big money especially considering the value the player provided, and their expected roles on the team. I think all the names listed fit the criteria. 

Once again I think we're splitting hairs, but Jamie Collins had a 6.3 million dollar cap hit in 2022. I think that is a significant hit even if you don't feel it's "huge". 

I think its definitely a hit, but we had cap space left over.  And we did switch systems completely in there which led to guys like Flowers and Collins being much less valuable.  They were both signed to be starters and better players on our D, but again, every GM has to sign free agents to fill holes.  Vaitai was signed to be our RT, and he was and then bumped into G and has been hurt.  The returns haven't been great for sure but it also isnt a killer.  When someone is complaining about not wanting to spend big money for team saviors, which the original comment was about that, I don't see any of those signings as that other than maybe Flowers.  

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I think its definitely a hit, but we had cap space left over.  And we did switch systems completely in there which led to guys like Flowers and Collins being much less valuable.  They were both signed to be starters and better players on our D, but again, every GM has to sign free agents to fill holes.  Vaitai was signed to be our RT, and he was and then bumped into G and has been hurt.  The returns haven't been great for sure but it also isnt a killer.  When someone is complaining about not wanting to spend big money for team saviors, which the original comment was about that, I don't see any of those signings as that other than maybe Flowers.  

Flowers made sense at the time. If you don't give your coaches the ability to build the roster out in their image and design, then they shouldn't be your coach in the first place (a whole different conversation/rabbit hole I'm not trying to go down right now). Flowers fit a team need and was a scheme fit for what the Quintricia Lions were trying to do on the field as well as a culture piece in the locker room. 

• Like 2

Lions expected to hire John Fox

The Lions are moving to hire the former head coach, David Newton of ESPN.com tweets. Fox’s HC stops did not involve Dan Campbell, but two crossed paths in New York. Fox was the Giants’ defensive coordinator for a few years during Campbell’s stay. The Lions are expected to bring Fox aboard as a senior defensive consultant, per Newton. He held a similar role with the Colts in 2022.

Planning to give DC Aaron Glenn an extension, the Lions will provide him with an experienced sounding board. Fox, 68, has worked as a head coach for the Panthers, Broncos and Bears and began his NFL tenure back in the late 1980s.

What do you think of this hire?

4 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I don't mind getting an experienced second set of eyes in the mix. Can't hurt although I don't know much about him. 

TBH, I just remember him coaching Peyton Manning in Denver while going to the Superbowl and then going to the Bears and being stuck with Mitch Trubisky and getting fired. 

Just now, Louis Friend said:

TBH, I just remember him coaching Peyton Manning in Denver while going to the Superbowl and then going to the Bears and being stuck with Mitch Trubisky and getting fired. 

He clearly had some sort of deal with the devil.. win a SB and then spend purgatory in Chicago with Trubisky. 

Think Washington would be willing to give up Payne in a deal to trade up? 

Something like...

Detroit gets: 16th pick, 118th pick, and Payne

Washington gets: Pick 6

Detroit gets a proven top tier DT and still has 2 first round picks and Washington gets their franchise QB.

Idk if they'd do it but if one of the top 3 QBs is still there at 6 I'd at least call and ask.

Only thing is I think he only be traded once he actually signs his tender... Not sure how often guys do that before the draft rolls around.

We'd have to pay him a lot to get a long term deal done but I'm fine with paying for an elite d-lineman if we can get one.

Sorry if this has been discussed at nauseum in this thread, but let's negotiate on Ramsey. He's on the block. Brad Holmes traded for him once and he's still an elite corner (28 years old).

Realistically, what would Lions fans be comfortable with trading for him?

I would want #6 overall, but I assume the DET Fanbase thinks that's too lofty. So what's fair on your side?

24 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Sorry if this has been discussed at nauseum in this thread, but let's negotiate on Ramsey. He's on the block. Brad Holmes traded for him once and he's still an elite corner (28 years old).

Realistically, what would Lions fans be comfortable with trading for him?

I would want #6 overall, but I assume the DET Fanbase thinks that's too lofty. So what's fair on your side?

I think given he wants a new contract and the fact CBs fall off quickly in their 30s, I am not interested in moving 6 for him, and really don't want to move 18 for him.  If we move down and gain more assets I would be more willing to move 18 though.  I have seen some articles from LA saying that a 2nd and future 4th or 3rd would likely get it done and that is something I would be very interested in as long as we have a deal worked out and it won't impact our ability to sign our young guys like ARSB in two years.  

3 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I think given he wants a new contract and the fact CBs fall off quickly in their 30s, I am not interested in moving 6 for him, and really don't want to move 18 for him.  If we move down and gain more assets I would be more willing to move 18 though.  I have seen some articles from LA saying that a 2nd and future 4th or 3rd would likely get it done and that is something I would be very interested in as long as we have a deal worked out and it won't impact our ability to sign our young guys like ARSB in two years.  

Makes sense. From the Rams fan base, we don't want to move him at all. A 1RP would make it more digestible, but if it goes for the compensation you referenced I think there will be pitchforks and torches on our side lol

Is he a player that puts you over the edge and can guarantee a playoff run? With Rodgers out of the division, I'd say yes.

But if Holmes still views this as more long term, then I'd agree with your assessment and not want to part with the 1RP.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Makes sense. From the Rams fan base, we don't want to move him at all. A 1RP would make it more digestible, but if it goes for the compensation you referenced I think there will be pitchforks and torches on our side lol

Is he a player that puts you over the edge and can guarantee a playoff run? With Rodgers out of the division, I'd say yes.

But if Holmes still views this as more long term, then I'd agree with your assessment and not want to part with the 1RP.

Yea, take with this as you will https://walterfootball.com/nflhotpress/article/Teams-Feel-Ramsey-Not-Worth-a-First-Round-Pick Would not be surprised if he isn't moved at all.