2023 Offseason Thread

Superduperman

All this talk about Richardson to the Lions is making me nervous...I liked what I saw from him today but I really prefer the team just roll with Goff for now and focus on the defense.

... Except for Darnell Washington... Draft Darnell Washington... But other than that focus on the defense.

21 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

All this talk about Richardson to the Lions is making me nervous...I liked what I saw from him today but I really prefer the team just roll with Goff for now and focus on the defense.

... Except for Darnell Washington... Draft Darnell Washington... But other than that focus on the defense.

I'd rather have Richardson or even Bijan at #6 that any TE in the first(I wouldn't be very happy with that either tbh). There is just way too much evidence against drafting a TE in the first, especially in recent Lions history. This is looking like a fairly deep TE class as well, so if they're looking for one they could probably find a quality player in rounds 3-6. 

2 minutes ago, davisblack said:

I'd rather have Richardson or even Bijan at #6 that any TE in the first(I wouldn't be very happy with that either tbh). There is just way too much evidence against drafting a TE in the first, especially in recent Lions history. This is looking like a fairly deep TE class as well, so if they're looking for one they could probably find a quality player in rounds 3-6. 

I don't think he means drafting Washington in round 1. I sure hope not...

5 minutes ago, davisblack said:

I didn't specify where to take him I just said draft him. Ideally 2nd round but after today I don't know if he'll be there. 

Would I prefer a TE at 18? No... But would I be upset if they took him there? Also no.

Assuming we take a CB or D-lineman at 6... If we pull some crap like Richardson at 6 and then a TE at 18 I'll personally make the 4 hour drive to Allen Park and ***** slap everyone in the front office...

Edited by rob_shadows

35 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

Seems like a smoke screen to me.

8 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

I didn't specify where to take him I just said draft him. Ideally 2nd round but after today I don't know if he'll be there. 

Would I prefer a TE at 18? No... But would I be upset if they took him there? Also no.

You mentioned you wouldn't complain if they drafted him at 18 in the prospect thread, and all I'm saying is I would. 

Edited by davisblack
typo

2 minutes ago, davisblack said:

You mentioned you wouldn't complain if they drafted him at 18 in the prospect thread, and all I'm saying is I would. 

I wouldn't complain but I'd prefer if we could get him a bit later... Even if it's just trading down into the 20s and getting some extra picks.

Obviously that also depends on who's available... For example if Kancey is there at 18 then no please don't trade down just take the man. 

I just really like the idea of having a TE that can be a monster in the run game and a receiving threat... There aren't many of those around these days.

After his performance today I wouldn't be surprised at all if he was the first TE taken, unfortunately we didn't get to see Kincaid but he definitely looked better than Mayer.

Am I the only one wanting Bijan at 6? I know the whole devaluation of RB in the NFL, but our scheme is based around a strong running game and Goff thrives with a star behind him. Add in our RB depth chart with Williams as a FA and Swift in the last year of his contract/ injury issues and I am thinking it is a real possibility. 

53 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

The Lions would be an ideal situation for Anthony Richardson and the team.  His physical attributes pretty amazing.  He has plenty of arm strength.  His mechanics and accuracy seem to be improving.  He is reportedly doing really well in all his interviews also.  

The Florida program is a bit of a mess right now.  They have had some talented players but they just don't seem to do a good job of tapping into their talent.  If he continues to show improvement in his accuracy and can show teams that he can handle the mental part of the NFL game he should be in consideration at #6.  They key for any evaluation is if they think his processing and ability to read coverages can catch up to his physical abilities.  If that happens, Anthony Richardson will be a beast.  

1 minute ago, BarryTheBest said:

Am I the only one wanting Bijan at 6? I know the whole devaluation of RB in the NFL, but our scheme is based around a strong running game and Goff thrives with a star behind him. Add in our RB depth chart with Williams as a FA and Swift in the last year of his contract/ injury issues and I am thinking it is a real possibility. 

I like Bijan Robinson a lot but taking him at 6 is almost impossible to justify.  Taking him at 18 is easier but that is still pretty high for a RB.  Personally, I would have no problem taking him at 18 because he is so skilled as a runner and receiver.  For a RB of his size to be credited with 104 missed tackles is kind of crazy.  Our offense would be extremely difficult to defend with a RB with his skills.

3 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

The Lions would be an ideal situation for Anthony Richardson and the team.  His physical attributes pretty amazing.  He has plenty of arm strength.  His mechanics and accuracy seem to be improving.  He is reportedly doing really well in all his interviews also.  

The Florida program is a bit of a mess right now.  They have had some talented players but they just don't seem to do a good job of tapping into their talent.  If he continues to show improvement in his accuracy and can show teams that he can handle the mental part of the NFL game he should be in consideration at #6.  They key for any evaluation is if they think his processing and ability to read coverages can catch up to his physical abilities.  If that happens, Anthony Richardson will be a beast.  

The Lions are an ideal situation for Richardson if the FO thinks Goff isn't good enough to take them to the playoffs/super bowl.  Personally I think Goff is good enough to do that and could potentially be good enough for another 5-6 years in the league.  I think drafting a QB in the first sends a pretty bad message to Goff and would end up being a distraction, especially if Goff has a couple bad games in a row. 

I would like them to draft a QB somewhere in rounds 2-4 though, maybe someone like McKee, O'Connell or Cunningham. That would be the first time the Lions drafted a developmental QB before the 6th round since 2007(Drew Stanton). It would be nice to have a solid backup QB that came up in our system for once. 

8 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

I like Bijan Robinson a lot but taking him at 6 is almost impossible to justify.  Taking him at 18 is easier but that is still pretty high for a RB.  Personally, I would have no problem taking him at 18 because he is so skilled as a runner and receiver.  For a RB of his size to be credited with 104 missed tackles is kind of crazy.  Our offense would be extremely difficult to defend with a RB with his skills.

How is taking him at 6 impossible to Justify? You would be hard pressed to find many people who do not believe he is a top 5 talent in this draft. We have a short/long term need at the position, our scheme requires good production on the ground, and our QB has proved he can be electric with a star at RB. I do not personally believe he will be there at 18 btw.