2023 Offseason Thread

Superduperman

7 hours ago, davisblack said:

The Lions are an ideal situation for Richardson if the FO thinks Goff isn't good enough to take them to the playoffs/super bowl.  Personally I think Goff is good enough to do that and could potentially be good enough for another 5-6 years in the league.  I think drafting a QB in the first sends a pretty bad message to Goff and would end up being a distraction, especially if Goff has a couple bad games in a row. 

I would like them to draft a QB somewhere in rounds 2-4 though, maybe someone like McKee, O'Connell or Cunningham. That would be the first time the Lions drafted a developmental QB before the 6th round since 2007(Drew Stanton). It would be nice to have a solid backup QB that came up in our system for once. 

Jared Goff is currently signed through 2024.  If he continues to play at a high level, his next contract will be pretty expensive.  Jared Goff could probably take the Lions to the Super Bowl with the right supporting cast.  To me, he is a Joe Flacco type of QB.  I don't think it is about a super bowl so much as it is about the ceiling of each player.  

Anthony Richardson is a project.  He shouldn't start in year 1.  However, he has pretty rare physical talent.  A QB with his size, speed and arm strength can make plays that other QBs couldn't even think about.  I think it comes down to whether or not the Lions believe his processing and decision-making will catch up to his physical ability and how fast it will do so.  The Chiefs made the call with Patrick Mahomes and it has paid off in a huge way.  

15 minutes ago, BigC421/ said:

I love the kids upside but that’s pretty consistent and damning. It’s such a tough evaluation he shows the ability to easily make these throws it just takes a coaching staff to feel confident they can get that consistency out of him. 

I haven’t really made up my mind on how exactly I feel about the Lions taking the gamble on him but it’s hard to argue the player/team match. I don’t know that Richardson could ask for much better of a position to succeed if he is indeed capable of succeeding. The roster is very well set up around him both with talent and ability to  easily translate to a QB power run threat system with the offensive line and play action deep threat and all around everything weapon at wr. Zero pressure to start year 1 and maybe even year 2.  Coaching staff that learned under Sean Payton and will find ways to have him help the team win games threw various packages while waiting til he’s ready.  Ben Johnson is a great OC but no one’s a lock to get one of the limited number of HC jobs in a given off season and if he does move on they can look for someone with experience working with a Richardson esq offense/player.

Team should still have close to 50 million in cap space after cuts. Go add Jessie Bates and Jamel Dean (both 26 contacts would work three there prime and within timeline of resigning studs they’ve been drafting under Holmes) and add a veteran linebacker like Wagner, David, or Pruit.  Maybe Richardson is there at 6 and still have 18 , two 2nds and the entire draft to continue to add talent. Maybe they use those to add more talent to the D, maybe they use this picks to move back into the 1st and come away with Robinson and Torrence with an eye having an all-time kind of running game, oh and those 2 wr’s. Maybe they have to use those 2nd to move up? Still should come away with plenty of draft capital to improve the team for a GM who’s been in on a roll sense coming to Detroit. The risk almost feels worth it. Either way the thought is titillating at the least. 

2 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

Jared Goff is currently signed through 2024.  If he continues to play at a high level, his next contract will be pretty expensive.  Jared Goff could probably take the Lions to the Super Bowl with the right supporting cast.  To me, he is a Joe Flacco type of QB.  I don't think it is about a super bowl so much as it is about the ceiling of each player.  

Anthony Richardson is a project.  He shouldn't start in year 1.  However, he has pretty rare physical talent.  A QB with his size, speed and arm strength can make plays that other QBs couldn't even think about.  I think it comes down to whether or not the Lions believe his processing and decision-making will catch up to his physical ability and how fast it will do so.  The Chiefs made the call with Patrick Mahomes and it has paid off in a huge way.  

Posted this on draft thread thought I’d throw it here too.  I’m far from sold on him or ready to say I’d pull the trigger but man. Wow.  I’m in pretty good place with this team going foward almost regardless of what direction they choose to go this off season.  I really love the idea of the Richardson plan above that’s just really exciting as a fan. If they want to go all in on Goff for a couple years I’m ok with that too. Team has the opportunity to add a tremendous amount of talent to an already talented team around him.  My only issue with this strategy is the feeling and experience of a life long nfl fan that building around Goff is nfl purgatory. That’s what I’d think if another team was doing it, wouldn’t you? Kirk Cousins, Dereck Carr ect you can put all the talent in world around these guys it’s just not likely to work out big picture 

Edited by BigC421/

On 3/5/2023 at 7:50 AM, Just Want A Title said:

A lot of folks are talking up Anthony Richardson but CJ Stroud was really good also.  His accuracy could make him a really good QB early in his career.

Stroud is a damn good QB. They let OSUs bad performance against Michael gan taint Strouds evaluation. 

There is a clear top 4 in this draft, IMO, in Bryce Young, Jalen Carter, Will Anderson, CJ Stroud. Then there are about 8-10 guys that are clear cut top 10-15 players. Teams reaching for the QBs will drop guys down, which helps us. As long as we aren't one of the teams reaching for players. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

Stroud is a damn good QB. They let OSUs bad performance against Michael gan taint Strouds evaluation. 

There is a clear top 4 in this draft, IMO, in Bryce Young, Jalen Carter, Will Anderson, CJ Stroud. Then there are about 8-10 guys that are clear cut top 10-15 players. Teams reaching for the QBs will drop guys down, which helps us. As long as we aren't one of the teams reaching for players. 

If one of the two QBs makes it to pick 4 do you move up, even liking Goff but seeing these as legit franchise guys?

Edit: I'll add that the only guy who gets me chewing on the idea is Stroud. For me he's clear QB1. I like Goff more than most, though, and believe he could be the guy going forward. But also the Lions might not have an opportunity like this any time soon.

Edited by NudeTayne

18 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

If one of the two QBs makes it to pick 4 do you move up, even liking Goff but seeing these as legit franchise guys?

Edit: I'll add that the only guy who gets me chewing on the idea is Stroud. For me he's clear QB1. I like Goff more than most, though, and believe he could be the guy going forward. But also the Lions might not have an opportunity like this any time soon.

Move up? No. Absolutely not. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, HashtagFTW said:

Move up? No. Absolutely not. 

I'm thinking it would take 6, 48 for pick 4, yeah. It'd have to be a move up. The scenario would be if folks fell in love with Richardson and Stroud was set up be third QB off the board. Chicago would be at 4 trying to move down. I'd at least think about either Stroud or possibly Young reuniting with Jameson Williams.

17 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

Andrew Vorhees tore his ACL at the combine.  Things like this are the reason some players don't fully participate.  I still hope the Lions take him though.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/03/06/report-andrew-vorhees-believed-to-have-torn-acl-after-combine-injury/

So this is what I could see happen - we restructure Vaitai for the year instead of cut, draft Voorhees on Day 3 and then he starts in '24.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2023 at 3:57 PM, Just Want A Title said:

Andrew Vorhees tore his ACL at the combine.  Things like this are the reason some players don't fully participate.  I still hope the Lions take him though.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/03/06/report-andrew-vorhees-believed-to-have-torn-acl-after-combine-injury/

I also like Vorhees and am hoping the Lions draft him.

On 3/6/2023 at 2:32 PM, NudeTayne said:

I think CJ Stroud would be worth moving up 6 to 4.  If Richardson were available at 15 or 16, he might be worth the risk at that spot.

35 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

I think CJ Stroud would be worth moving up 6 to 4.  If Richardson were available at 15 or 16, he might be worth the risk at that spot.

While I don't want a QB, I might consider Stroud if he's sitting there at #6 and we don't have a trade partner that really is willing to give us what we want. If you are taking him then you're trading Goff because Stroud is a year 1 starter. 

• Like 2

I am definitely more open to Stroud or Richardson at 6 than I was at the end of the season.  I dont want to move up though. 

I am super nervous about Richardson and think he may bust but if they do the mental analysis on him and think he is the right guy, his tools make it an ok pick given our situation.  Risky but we have the resources to be a little risky IMO with the extra pick. 

Stroud I agree is a year 1 player, but also we don't need to rush it.  We can keep Goff one more year and make sure Stroud is the one and not forced to play.  If we have a great year with Goff we can move him next offseason if Stroud is ready.  If not then we can keep him his final year.  That would lean towards Stroud being a bust and if thats the case, it sucks but at least we still have another first this year and aren't awful because of our QB.  

Young still makes me nervous with his height.  Levis makes me nervous with his poor play.  I really like Levis last year in the mid rounds before he decided to come back but his senior year didn't make me want him more.  So I would stay away from these guys.  

• Like 1