2023 Offseason Thread

Superduperman

I don't think it can be anyone else but CJ Stroud. 

He showed a live arm at the combine and was throwing the deep ball as far as Richardson was. He has the prototypical size. His game is accuracy which is the COMPLETE opposite of Richardson. He has enough wheels to make an impact. 

If Young was 5'10 and a legit 205, this is probably a different case. However, he's going to be playing at 190. He might be the exception to the rule but that's a HUGE risk for a guy playing at that size. You can afford to take him and risk it if he drops to #9. You don't trade up and give up two 1sts, two 2nds and one of the better WR's in the league under contract and then also select someone like Young in the process. 

I could be wrong and maybe they do go that route but it just doesn't make sense to me. The Panthers are apparently open at this stage in the process but I feel like it's CJ's job to lose. 

• Like 1

Time will tell if they traded up for potential or a player close to his ceiling. Reich is a good coach and may feel he can coach Richardson to his full potential.

Mechanics and accuracy can be taught. Athleticism can’t.

Stroud is the logical selection because Carolina needs a starter and Richardson will take some time. My gut just tells me they will take Richardson.

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

I don't think it can be anyone else but CJ Stroud. 

He showed a live arm at the combine and was throwing the deep ball as far as Richardson was. He has the prototypical size. His game is accuracy which is the COMPLETE opposite of Richardson. He has enough wheels to make an impact. 

If Young was 5'10 and a legit 205, this is probably a different case. However, he's going to be playing at 190. He might be the exception to the rule but that's a HUGE risk for a guy playing at that size. You can afford to take him and risk it if he drops to #9. You don't trade up and give up two 1sts, two 2nds and one of the better WR's in the league under contract and then also select someone like Young in the process. 

I could be wrong and maybe they do go that route but it just doesn't make sense to me. The Panthers are apparently open at this stage in the process but I feel like it's CJ's job to lose. 

They didn’t give up two firsts. They gave up 1 first as they got a first in return. 

48 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

Time will tell if they traded up for potential or a player close to his ceiling. Reich is a good coach and may feel he can coach Richardson to his full potential.

Mechanics and accuracy can be taught. Athleticism can’t.

Stroud is the logical selection because Carolina needs a starter and Richardson will take some time. My gut just tells me they will take Richardson.

Mechanics and accuracy can be tweaked (we saw Stafford's comp % go up slightly under Caldwell), but Richardson's is so poor to begin with, you're hoping he becomes mediocre and I don't like investing in that. 

Bryce Young is small, but there is literally nothing he cannot do at that size. He's not exactly playing at NDSU or Wayne State, he's played at Alabama and played against the same big defenders everyone covets in the draft. I think his size is being grossly overblown, but Houston is thrilled to steal him at #2.

I think Stroud is the #1 pick, as of right now. And he's a damn good prospect. That Michigan game really tainted people's perspective of him but he has two years of game film that says otherwise. Stroud will be the best QB in Panther history (even over Newton). Reich and Caldwell will coach him up, but they need to build around him. 

I hope 4 QBs go off the board and Carter slides to us. 🤞🏽

57 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Mechanics and accuracy can be tweaked (we saw Stafford's comp % go up slightly under Caldwell), but Richardson's is so poor to begin with, you're hoping he becomes mediocre and I don't like investing in that. 

Bryce Young is small, but there is literally nothing he cannot do at that size. He's not exactly playing at NDSU or Wayne State, he's played at Alabama and played against the same big defenders everyone covets in the draft. I think his size is being grossly overblown, but Houston is thrilled to steal him at #2.

I think Stroud is the #1 pick, as of right now. And he's a damn good prospect. That Michigan game really tainted people's perspective of him but he has two years of game film that says otherwise. Stroud will be the best QB in Panther history (even over Newton). Reich and Caldwell will coach him up, but they need to build around him. 

I hope 4 QBs go off the board and Carter slides to us. 🤞🏽

I figure it's going:

1) Car - Stroud

2) Hou - Young

3) Ari - Anderson or trade down (Seattle, Las Vegas, Atlanta, Washington are all in the mix here)

4) Ind - Richardson or Levis

5) Sea - Richardson or Carter

18 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I figure it's going:

1) Car - Stroud

2) Hou - Young

3) Ari - Anderson or trade down (Seattle, Las Vegas, Atlanta, Washington are all in the mix here)

4) Ind - Richardson or Levis

5) Sea - Richardson or Carter

IMO

1. Carolina - Stroud

2. Houston - Young

3. Trade - Richardson

4. Indy - Levis

5. Seattle - Anderson or Carter

6. Detroit - Anderson or Carter (hope a CB falls to #18 or trade for Ramsey)

1 minute ago, Louis Friend said:

IMO

1. Carolina - Stroud

2. Houston - Young

3. Trade - Richardson

4. Indy - Levis

The argument of Levis over Richardson is that you should expect Levis to be able to start year 1. At whatever level... hard to say. However, you're going to get him on the field with a reasonable expectation that he can compete with a veteran guy. Richardson is almost guaranteed to sit year 1 with no real threat at getting on the field other than maybe some packages to get him experience. Does a Josh McDaniel's offense emphasize accuracy and timing or a deep ball with some movement ability. I'm feeling like Jimmy G is going to LV and that would pull the Raiders out of the trade up market. They'd probably take someone if they slipped to #7. 

Atlanta could be in the mix for Lamar and it wouldn't be totally shocking if he became a Falcon. They've publicly said they're out but that's probably just gamesmanship/smokescreen. That would have Baltimore sitting there at #8 and in need of a new QB. That could be a trade up position if they really like Richardson's future potential (and the fact that he probably has an agent). 

34 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

The argument of Levis over Richardson is that you should expect Levis to be able to start year 1. At whatever level... hard to say. However, you're going to get him on the field with a reasonable expectation that he can compete with a veteran guy. Richardson is almost guaranteed to sit year 1 with no real threat at getting on the field other than maybe some packages to get him experience. Does a Josh McDaniel's offense emphasize accuracy and timing or a deep ball with some movement ability. I'm feeling like Jimmy G is going to LV and that would pull the Raiders out of the trade up market. They'd probably take someone if they slipped to #7. 

Atlanta could be in the mix for Lamar and it wouldn't be totally shocking if he became a Falcon. They've publicly said they're out but that's probably just gamesmanship/smokescreen. That would have Baltimore sitting there at #8 and in need of a new QB. That could be a trade up position if they really like Richardson's future potential (and the fact that he probably has an agent). 

IMO, the guy who drafted Tebow and the team who has reached for athletic freaks at TE and WR the last two drafts are probably more likely to take the boom or bust QB than Levis who I think is more suited for a boring team/city like Indy. 

4 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

IMO

1. Carolina - Stroud

2. Houston - Young

3. Trade - Richardson

4. Indy - Levis

Deonte Banks @#18