2023 Offseason Thread

Superduperman

14 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

TBH, if Glenn is thinking about taking a HC job, I hope he gets one this offseason. I'd rather promote or bring in a new DC before we build up this defense. I'd rather keep Ben Johnson since we've sort of molded this offense around his vision. Glenn hasn't built up a defense yet. I'd hate to spend draft picks/cap space on players for one system just to switch next year, once again. I don't think Glenn should be fired. I think he's a fine coordinator, but I wouldn't be upset if he left. We'd get a couple draft picks and can get someone in here to build in their vision. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

TBH, if Glenn is thinking about taking a HC job, I hope he gets one this offseason. I'd rather promote or bring in a new DC before we build up this defense. I'd rather keep Ben Johnson since we've sort of molded this offense around his vision. Glenn hasn't built up a defense yet. I'd hate to spend draft picks/cap space on players for one system just to switch next year, once again. I don't think Glenn should be fired. I think he's a fine coordinator, but I wouldn't be upset if he left. We'd get a couple draft picks and can get someone in here to build in their vision. 

Anyone in mind on who you'd want to take over?

17 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

It may start to become a locker-room issue.  How do you tell players that playing time is based on merit and performance but allow a player to hold a roster spot when he really isn't living up to expectations?  It might be a hard decision with respect to the salary cap but I would rather have a player that is performing or that we are developing.  RIght now, Okudah doesn't fall into either category.

Okudah has struggled down the stretch but showed flashes and is just 15 months removed from a torn Achilles.  He is still under contract this year fully guaranteed so he wont be cut but could be traded.  I agree we won't pick up his 5th year option but having another full offseason to work on things in a prove it year is likely.  I do think if Harris is not re-signed, it might be worth trying him in that role since he seems solid against the run and would face lesser talented WRs.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

Duce Staley should be getting some interviews.  I don't see Ben Johnson being ready to be a HC.  Aaron Glenn might be more prepared at this point.

Agreed on Duce, and if Johnson leaves I wouldn't be shocked if he moves into the OC role.  I do think that Dan Campbell should be getting more credit for the offense than he has as well.  We turned things around last year when he started calling plays and have built on that.  he has helped Johnson develop into the role and if Johnson leaves, I have faith in DC being able to help develop another one.  

I agree Glenn is more likely ready to be a HC and is more likely to have a similar impact that DC has had given his attitude and leadership he has displayed.  He may not have a great defense statistically but thats not really the role of the HC, as seen by Dan Campbell's success and role.  I really hope we can keep our staff together and see what happens next year with some continuity but it is also nice to have assistants being courted. 

• Like 2

I could see Glenn being a better HC than he is a DC. I think that his strengths are his leadership and his relationships with the players and their development and not necessarily a genius scheme. 

It feels too early for Ben Johnson, but some teams like to swing for the fences. I don't know if a team that fired their HC with years left on their contract would necessarily want to take a gamble on a guy like that though. He could be a total bust in that role. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lions017 said:

I could see Glenn being a better HC than he is a DC. I think that his strengths are his leadership and his relationships with the players and their development and not necessarily a genius scheme. 

It feels too early for Ben Johnson, but some teams like to swing for the fences. I don't know if a team that fired their HC with years left on their contract would necessarily want to take a gamble on a guy like that though. He could be a total bust in that role. 

I think we will see a series of guys fall of the list like Harbaugh and Payton and then will start seeing some of these lesser known/qualified candidates filling some roles.  I still feel like Bieniemy, Demeco Ryans, Leftwich, Gannon and a couple others should be ahead of them in line for HC gigs.  

If Glenn does go, I think hiring Eijro Evero to replace him would be a great move.  He had a really good year in Denver despite the offense being trash and he likely will be looking for a new gig when they hire their HC unless he gets a HC job himself.  His connection with Holmes from their time in LA could be a connection that would give us a leg up.    

On 1/9/2023 at 5:16 PM, Louis Friend said:

Coaches-

HC MCDC has had some growing pains and on the job education this season. Time management, timeout management and player rotation has been areas of assessment for him. But I like that he takes accountability for those things and you can see the growth throughout the season. He seems to take all of the blame and hand out all of the credit, and although we know that's not always true, that's the type of leadership that engages people. I do like that he seems to have a good working relationship with his coaching staff, but if a hard decision to part ways with one comes up, he's not afraid to make that move. But he does so with respect. Relationships in this league go a long way. 

I haven't really seen it be talked about since the end of the game, but what does everyone think of MCDC declining the intentional offsides penalty during the final drive?

Early in the season MCDC was rightfully getting called out for poor clock management, but the move to decline the penalty was brilliant! He has shown the ability to grow and improve on his weaknesses which I haven't seen from many other coaches. 

Edited by Nnivolcm

2 hours ago, Nnivolcm said:

I haven't really seen it be talked about since the end of the game, but what does everyone think of MCDC declining the intentional offsides penalty during the final drive?

Early in the season MCDC was rightfully getting called out for poor clock management, but the move to decline the penalty was brilliant! He has shown the ability to grow and improve on his weaknesses which I haven't seen from many other coaches. 

It's a good call that will only look smart if you convert the 2nd and 1, and they did. Smart and confident in his players.

11 hours ago, Nnivolcm said:

I felt like it was a typical Dan Campbell move. Basically "F*** you Green Bay, come and stop us." And he knew they couldn't.

Was it brilliant, yes. But I think DC is seriously undervalued as a tactician. I think he puts in a lot of thought into that clock management, but also bases on the ebb and flow for the game. At the end of the day, we as fans will say kudos for everything that works, but when the same call doesn't work.... "WTF were you thinking!"

• Like 1