2023 Offseason Thread

Superduperman

21 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Returning To School

https://www.the33rdteam.com/category/nfl-draft-2/2023-nfl-draft-underclassmen-declaration-tracker/

• Rome Odunze, WR, Washington (Jan. 12)
  • Spencer Rattler, QB, South Carolina (Jan. 10)
  • Benjamin Yurosek, TE, Stanford (Jan. 9)
  • Blake Corum, RB, Michigan (Jan. 9)
  • Cade Stover, TE, Ohio State (Jan. 9)
  • Jared Verse, DE, Florida State (Jan. 7)
  • Cooper Beebe, OL, Kansas State (Jan. 7)
  • Layden Robinson, iOL, Texas A&M (Jan. 5)
  • Jayden Daniels, QB, LSU (Dec. 22)
  • Bralen Trice, DE, Washington (Dec. 19)
  • Zion Tupuola-Fetui, DE, Washington (Dec. 19)
  • Bo Nix, QB, Oregon (Dec. 18)
  • Michael Penix Jr., QB, Washington (Dec. 4)
  • Olu Fashanu, OT, Penn State (Nov. 28)

Beebe and Robinson biggest bummers for me. Makes RG picks even more hit or miss. I think O'Cyrus Torrence could be in play at #18.

12 hours ago, Superduperman said:

I remain convinced their Plan A will be to bring Vaitai back.

It wouldn't shock me but also he isn't a DC/Holmes guy in the first place.  He did have a solid yet unspectacular 2021 so it wouldn't shock me and given his dead money being there either way, he is only costing $7M for us.  But I think we may be more likely to re-sign Brown to a similar contract to what we would save from Vatai if the injury concerns are serious long term since back injuries are tough to come back from and be dependable.  

44 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

It wouldn't shock me but also he isn't a DC/Holmes guy in the first place.  He did have a solid yet unspectacular 2021 so it wouldn't shock me and given his dead money being there either way, he is only costing $7M for us.  But I think we may be more likely to re-sign Brown to a similar contract to what we would save from Vatai if the injury concerns are serious long term since back injuries are tough to come back from and be dependable.  

I want Brown to come back but I have a feeling that he's going to want a shot at a starting gig (more likely OC but open to OG) with another team. I think he did a solid enough job filling in for Ragnow that some team will give him a bit more than we can as a principal back-up. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

I want Brown to come back but I have a feeling that he's going to want a shot at a starting gig (more likely OC but open to OG) with another team. I think he did a solid enough job filling in for Ragnow that some team will give him a bit more than we can as a principal back-up. 

I think if we brought him back it would be as a starter at RG and we would release HV.  It will probably be a wash financially but safer with Vaitai's injury risk with the back.  I'd rather pay another RG but don't want to break the bank either.  

26 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I think if we brought him back it would be as a starter at RG and we would release HV.  It will probably be a wash financially but safer with Vaitai's injury risk with the back.  I'd rather pay another RG but don't want to break the bank either.  

What I want to happen vs what I think will happen are two different things. I'd like for us to keep Brown but I feel like he's a decent candidate to go out the door. 

Either:

a) We cut Vaitai and re-sign Brown or

b) We keep Vaitai and draft an OG knowing he's more likely a cap casualty next year (either way) and for insurance in event of injury this year. 

I was curious to see how Holmes' draft classes would break down in terms of conference. 

• Big Ten - 1
  • ACC - 2
  • PAC-12 - 4
  • SEC - 0
  • Big 12 - 0
  • FCS - 0

• Big Ten - 2
  • ACC - 1
  • PAC-12 - 1
  • SEC - 2
  • Big 12 - 1
  • FCS - 1

TOTAL (YTD)

• Big Ten - 3
  • ACC - 3
  • PAC-12 - 5
  • SEC - 2
  • Big 12 - 1
  • FCS - 1

As a guy that was previously based on the west coast, I do wonder if Holmes was more comfortable with west coast prospects and has now shifted to a more balanced approach. 

On 1/18/2023 at 3:12 PM, Karnage84 said:

What I want to happen vs what I think will happen are two different things. I'd like for us to keep Brown but I feel like he's a decent candidate to go out the door. 

Either:

a) We cut Vaitai and re-sign Brown or

b) We keep Vaitai and draft an OG knowing he's more likely a cap casualty next year (either way) and for insurance in event of injury this year. 

I am of the opinion we should just draft our starting RG. We can't pay everyone on the line market value, you have to some cheap talent somewhere. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, General Tso said:

I am of the opinion we should just draft our starting RG. We can't pay everyone on the line market value, you have to some cheap talent somewhere. 

We are paying alot of money to our OL already and Jonah is due for a contract. Getting a rookie contract or two there would be ideal. 

4 hours ago, General Tso said:

I have a feeling that Brown is going to find a starting gig, we keep Vaitai and then draft his eventual replacement. 

I'd like to cut Vaitai, sign Brown to a friendly deal and still add someone via the draft (maybe an OT that can kick inside). 

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

I have a feeling that Brown is going to find a starting gig, we keep Vaitai and then draft his eventual replacement. 

I'd like to cut Vaitai, sign Brown to a friendly deal and still add someone via the draft (maybe an OT that can kick inside). 

Cutting V frees up almost 7 million id be more than disappointed if they kept him. Cutting V, Brockers and   Okwara should free up about 24 million combined.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BigC421/ said:

Cutting V frees up almost 7 million id be more than disappointed if they kept him. Cutting V, Brockers and   Okwara should free up about 24 million combined.  

I don't think they are going to do anything with Okwara until after the draft.  Players with good pass-rush skills have good value.  I suspect that he will be traded after June 1st to a team that is short on pass-rushers. This will also give us the most net-cap space benefits.

https://overthecap.com/player/romeo-okwara/5296