2023 Offseason Thread

Superduperman

6 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

I was watching some of the twitter highlights.  I might be wrong but Jameson Williams looks noticeably bigger in his upper body.  Am I imagining things?  If he has improved his upper body strength that will make him even more dangerous.

He's been hitting the Bet365 workout

One thing of minor concern at this point:  The Lions continue to hold keep Jahmyr Gibbs on the sidelines.  At least in the press photos.  It isn't so concerning now but he really needs to get some reps in when Mini-camp and training camp come around.  Hoepfully they are just being overly cautious.

Update:  One of the articles mentioned that Dan Campbell is planning on having him in Thursday's practices.    Hopefully that will actually happen.

Edited by Just Want A Title

1 minute ago, Karnage84 said:

Lions have traded a 2026 conditional 7th round pick to Jacksonville for Riley Patterson

It is a pretty smart move.  Riley Patterson played pretty well for both the Lions and the Jags.  He hit a couple of pretty big kicks last year.  If he improved his leg strength compared to when he was playing with the Lions, he could win the job for sure.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

It is a pretty smart move.  Riley Patterson played pretty well for both the Lions and the Jags.  He hit a couple of pretty big kicks last year.  If he improved his leg strength compared to when he was playing with the Lions, he could win the job for sure.

I'd say he'd have to pull a "Goff v McVey" (and by that, I mean making lewd comments about their HC's spouse) to not be winning the job. The Lions don't go and make that trade without giving him the leg up (pun intended) on winning that job. 

• Like 1

I am glad it allegedly isn't a prominent player that is being investigated for gambling.  Still, this isn't a great look especially after Jameson Williams saying that he wasn't aware of the league's gambling policy.  One interesting trait of the Lions draft class this year is that pretty much all of their draft picks were considered to be high-character players.  Probably not a coincidence.

https://www.mlive.com/lions/2023/05/another-lions-player-reportedly-under-investigation-for-gambling-violation.html

One other thing I notice from the OTA photos and videos:  Brodric Martin, who is listed at 330Lbs, carries his weight really well.  He doesn't look like Shaun Rogers or other really large DTs are kind of soft/sloppy and many times have their stamina/conditioning as a weakness.  I think it will be really interesting to see how he progresses in training camp and in pre-season games.

As much as I have been frustrated with the draft coverage by the folks covering the Lions.  The OTA coverage has been solid.  One thing that came up on two different podcasts:  Concerns about Jameson Williams.  Granted, it is only May but Amon Ra St Brown is catching everything except the Bird Flu but Jameson Williams is still having some issues with drops.  I think he has to get used to the idea that there is more to being a WR in the NFL than just being fast and that he is going to take some hits. On the other hand, Jamarr Chase had problems with drops as well early in his career and that has worked out pretty well.  Hopefully this will get ironed out.  

I give him credit for talking to the press about the gambling incident.  He wasn't specific about the incident but maybe that is how the Lions want him to handle it.  Still, saying things like "I don't remember" or I didn't know is kind of specious.  

You have to worry when the word "concerned" keeps coming up.  Still, he is still relatively inexperienced as an NFL WR and still pretty young.  Maybe being around Amon Ra St Brown will help his development.

This podcast with Rick Spielman on how he sees the Lions draft is hilarious!  He absolutely roasts Ryan Wilson from CBS Sports.  When you listen to Ryan Wilson's explanation of how he is grading the draft for various teams he pretty much deserves to be roasted for his draft grades.  This is so awesome!

https://lionswire.usatoday.com/2023/05/30/rick-spielman-lions-draft-2023-laporta-defends-versus-critics-cbs/

41 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

This podcast with Rick Spielman on how he sees the Lions draft is hilarious!  He absolutely roasts Ryan Wilson from CBS Sports.  When you listen to Ryan Wilson's explanation of how he is grading the draft for various teams he pretty much deserves to be roasted for his draft grades.  This is so awesome!

https://lionswire.usatoday.com/2023/05/30/rick-spielman-lions-draft-2023-laporta-defends-versus-critics-cbs/

Yes, I saw that.

Ryan: I ranked teams based on how I thought the players graded out before the draft

Rick: Did you take into account team philosophy or team needs?

Ryan: No, it's just whether they picked them higher or lower than I thought they should go

Rick: You're dumb.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

Wilson says Lions we’re ranked 21st because they reached for players the media had lower. Then proceeded to claim he had Campbell, LaPorta and Branch as first rd picks, Hendon graded as a 2nd rd pick and Green as a late 7th who went in the 4th (which he did not, he was a 7th). He deserved to be raked. 

• Like 5