2023 Offseason Thread

Superduperman

15 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

Ed Oliver has signed an extension with Buffalo

This is good for the Bills but honestly, I am not sure he would have worth a splash trade/signing.  He is a solid player but a bit of a tweener.  I wouldn't put him in the top-tier of DTs (Chris Jones, Christian Wilkins, Jeffrey Simmons, Dexter Lawrence and Daron Payne).

Brodric Martin, from a physical perspective, is a lot like Dexter Lawrence.  His movement skills are a little better though.  It will be interesting to see how he develops this year.

4 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

This is good for the Bills but honestly, I am not sure he would have worth a splash trade/signing.  He is a solid player but a bit of a tweener.  I wouldn't put him in the top-tier of DTs (Chris Jones, Christian Wilkins, Jeffrey Simmons, Dexter Lawrence and Daron Payne).

Brodric Martin, from a physical perspective, is a lot like Dexter Lawrence.  His movement skills are a little better though.  It will be interesting to see how he develops this year.

The idea of needing to upgrade at IDL could just be media/ fan driven and the Lions could be content right now with who is on the roster. Hopefully certain guys can step up to fill the literal and proverbial holes on the DLine.

On 6/4/2023 at 11:39 AM, Karnage84 said:

The idea of needing to upgrade at IDL could just be media/ fan driven and the Lions could be content right now with who is on the roster. Hopefully certain guys can step up to fill the literal and proverbial holes on the DLine.

Like the Lions were content with their LBs until they drafted Campbell at #18. 

IDL is still a need. They brought back Buggs but claimed he played too many snaps last year. Levi and Benito provide nothing. Even with Alim slimming down to move to 3T, the Lions are thin and have guys out of position. Brodric might end up being a player, but he’s not enough for me not to address the massive holes there right now. 

Edited by Louis Friend
  • Like 1

I am glad to see Ifeatu Melifonwo and Derrick Barnes get some recognition for their improvements from Dan Campbell.  If Melifonwu's stays healthy he has the physical tools to get significant playing time even with improved cadre of safeties.  

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2023/6/9/23755085/dan-campbells-5-most-improved-detroit-lions-minicamp-otas-practice

3 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

More good news on Tracy Walker.  I cant believe how much depth we are going to have in the secondary this year.

https://lionswire.usatoday.com/2023/06/14/tracy-walker-lions-injury-update-cleared-for-traaining-camp/

I am excited.  I like the names, just hope they fit well in the system.  Even though Tracy is cleared, it will likely take some work to get back to the player he was.  Cam Akers and Okudah both lost something with their similar injuries so hoping he can get back close to what he was.  

I’ve been trying to go through and predict the position groups and how many the Lions will keep in each group for their 53.

I think they’ll keep 9/10 DBs on the roster.

Guys on the 53:

Cam Sutton

CJ Gardner-Johnson

Emmanuel Moseley 

Jerry Jacobs

Tracy Walker

Kerby Joseph

Brian Branch

Will Harris

???????????????

I think camp will decide the last one or two guys. 

Guys on the bubble:

Ifeatu Melifonwu

Chase Lucas

Savion Smith

Brandon Joseph

Starling Thomas 

Jarren Williams 

56 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

I’ve been trying to go through and predict the position groups and how many the Lions will keep in each group for their 53.

Guys on the 53:

Cam Sutton

CJ Gardner-Johnson

Emmanuel Moseley 

Jerry Jacobs

Tracy Walker

Kerby Joseph

Brian Branch

Will Harris

???????????????

Guys on the bubble:

Ifeatu Melifonwu

Chase Lucas

Savion Smith

Brandon Joseph

Starling Thomas 

Jarren Williams 

From the sounds of it, Iffy has made a lot of progress and is repping with the ones a lot.  Starling Thomas has a lot of buzz too but there is always an UDFA or two that get hyped up because they play better than an UDFA should but not good enough to make the team.  Its nice to have people competing for those last few spots and not trying to see who will be good enough to be worth keeping ont he roster because we need bodies on the back end. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Guys on the 53:

Cam Sutton

CJ Gardner-Johnson

Emmanuel Moseley 

Jerry Jacobs

Tracy Walker

Kerby Joseph

Brian Branch

Will Harris

???????????????

Guys on the bubble:

Ifeatu Melifonwu

Chase Lucas

Savion Smith

Brandon Joseph

Starling Thomas 

Jarren Williams 

A lot can happen between now and the conclusion of training camp.  However, if Ifeatu Melifonwu and and Starling Thomas continue to improve in their play it will be tough to keep them off the roster.  The good thing about this is that DBs have a lot of value.  I suspect Brad Holmes will try to flip some of the players who don't make the initial roster for late-round picks

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Nnivolcm said:

I would love it.  Maybe the mid season one this time though but I think it would be great to see how some guys progressed and how different things are with real expectations this year.  But I assume its pretty invasive and distracting and probably would be better not to, but DC is must watch TV. 

• Like 4