2023 Offseason Thread

Superduperman

13 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

And there we have it, Justin Rogers first to report that the Lions gave hired Dre Bly as DB coach. He spent the last 4 years at UNC. This is his first NFL coaching gig. 

Although I'm always nervous when we hire guys without a lot of experience coaching in the NFL, I love how this staff brings on former players. Especially the ones who used to play here. I think it is going to speak volumes to current players and future free agents.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

And there we have it, Justin Rogers first to report that the Lions gave hired Dre Bly as DB coach. He spent the last 4 years at UNC. This is his first NFL coaching gig. 

https://www.detroitlions.com/news/lions-add-dre-bly-steve-heiden-to-coaching-staff

He was a minority intern in New Orleans with Glenn and Campbell in New Orleans in 2017.  So they have some familiarity.  Not sure how UNC's DBs graded out but hopefully he can help grow our CBs.  He has a hefty task ahead of him. 

1 hour ago, LionArkie said:

Although I'm always nervous when we hire guys without a lot of experience coaching in the NFL, I love how this staff brings on former players. Especially the ones who used to play here. I think it is going to speak volumes to current players and future free agents.

This is a good strategy. I think coaching in general is a little overrated anyway, talent and effort/buy-in are equally important and we're seeing that the effort and buy-in are improved by having coaches who understand the players and relate to them. Now we'll see how they replace Duce and Glenn if he gets that Colts job, it's a fair assumption they'll follow the same pattern.

2 hours ago, LionArkie said:

I think the big thing that can make him a good NFL coach is that he was an under-sized CB who had a fair amount of success in the NFL.  He had to be a lot better at other very important aspects of playing CB to compensate for his size.  Hopefully he can give our CBs a boost in those areas.

I think the biggest thing about hiring former players as coaches is not just that they were players, but successful players. They aren't Tebow to coach QBs, they are hiring All Pros, Pro Bowlers, Superbowl Champions as coaches. Guys who competed at the highest levels and for extended periods. 

From what I'm gathered, he's been highly liked and respected in all of his roles. He's had experience at nearly every coaching position and done well. Seems like a very nice replacement for Duce. Seems like another guy Campbell will try to develop as a future HC, much like he was with Duce. I'm interested in how this will play out with Swift. Swift and JT are different types of RBs. Will be interesting if the Lions draft a workhorse RB. 

ETA: Montgomery was the WR coach at the Steelers with Mike Wallace (Pro Bowl 2011), Hines Ward, Emmanuel Sanders, Antwaan Randle El, Antonio Brown (Pro Bowl 2011), and Jerricho Cotchery.

Edited by Louis Friend