2023 Offseason Thread

Superduperman

3 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Any chance the Lions keep DJ Chark?

it's hard for us to gauge how likely any of our FAs are to stay. We can make some decent guesses, but the Lions have a lot of options and it seems unlikely they'll keep all 15 of them.

DJ is a tough one because he'll probably need a fairly high amount, and he didn't have the kind of season that would make that a no-brainer. I'd like to see him come back because I think he fits his role in the Lions' offense very well, as long as he's healthy. If you ask me, the chances of the Lions bringing him back to be a little over 50-50.

One of the thing I can't figure out when I am reading a lot of the draft coverage for the Lions:  When discussing the Lions needs at CB most of the pundits say that we need to add a CB next to Jeff Okudah as if he is holding our CB room together.  The thing is, Jerry Jacobs was our best and most consistent CB once he got back on the field and it really wasn't close.  eff Okudah may have been drafted #3 but even with extended playing time that should have accelerated his learning curve, his play fell off a cliff at the end of the year.  

We really need to re-make our entire CB room but the one CB that has shown he is a legit starting CB, even if he is a #2CB, is Jerry Jacobs.  I don't understand how so many people can mis-read the situation.  If they were reporting it correctly they would be saying we need to draft CB because of Jeff Okudah's inconsistent play.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

One of the thing I can't figure out when I am reading a lot of the draft coverage for the Lions:  When discussing the Lions needs at CB most of the pundits say that we need to add a CB next to Jeff Okudah as if he is holding our CB room together.  The thing is, Jerry Jacobs was our best and most consistent CB once he got back on the field and it really wasn't close.  eff Okudah may have been drafted #3 but even with extended playing time that should have accelerated his learning curve, his play fell off a cliff at the end of the year.  

We really need to re-make our entire CB room but the one CB that has shown he is a legit starting CB, even if he is a #2CB, is Jerry Jacobs.  I don't understand how so many people can mis-read the situation.  If they were reporting it correctly they would be saying we need to draft CB because of Jeff Okudah's inconsistent play.

they aren't really paying attention. Same people say the Lions' defense was ranked 32nd in the league, ignoring the difference between the first and second half of the season

• Like 1

In reality, we probably need 3 new corners to go with Okudah and Jacobs. Harris, Oruwariye and Hughes are all FAs I believer and I wouldn't resign any of them. In this league you need up to 5 CBs for both playing situations and injuries. So I totally see us signing at least one CB, draft another, maybe draft even two. Would be nice of Chase Lucas could just step up, but you can't count on a 7th rounder.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, General Tso said:

In reality, we probably need 3 new corners to go with Okudah and Jacobs. Harris, Oruwariye and Hughes are all FAs I believer and I wouldn't resign any of them. In this league you need up to 5 CBs for both playing situations and injuries. So I totally see us signing at least one CB, draft another, maybe draft even two. Would be nice of Chase Lucas could just step up, but you can't count on a 7th rounder.

Agreed. Ideally, we sign a FA or trade for a CB and draft one or two and sign a S. Lions still play a shell 4-2-5. We need secondary players to make up for the lack of linebackers. TBH, we are hoping Walker comes back from injury and actually plays well, which he has not as of yet. We are hoping Okudah develops, which he has not as of yet. We hope Jacobs and Kerby stay healthy and continue to play well with expanded roles, but they haven't played alot as of yet. But we are lacking across the board and hoping for alot just to be mediocre. 

On 2/11/2023 at 11:31 PM, Louis Friend said:

Agreed. Ideally, we sign a FA or trade for a CB and draft one or two and sign a S. Lions still play a shell 4-2-5. We need secondary players to make up for the lack of linebackers. TBH, we are hoping Walker comes back from injury and actually plays well, which he has not as of yet. We are hoping Okudah develops, which he has not as of yet. We hope Jacobs and Kerby stay healthy and continue to play well with expanded roles, but they haven't played alot as of yet. But we are lacking across the board and hoping for alot just to be mediocre. 

We were mediocre the second half of the season.  Slight improvements at CB and further development from our DEs/LBs and we can be a pretty solid D.  I wouldn't be shocked to see us take a S early that can cover the slot/play nickel or dime DB like Branch or Johnson.  They also can serve as a fill in for Walker until fully healthy if we don't re-sign Elliot.  It would be nice if we really focus on D early in the draft and can grab a couple starters there.  If that happens we have the chance to be a solid D next year.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

We were mediocre the second half of the season.  Slight improvements at CB and further development from our DEs/LBs and we can be a pretty solid D.  I wouldn't be shocked to see us take a S early that can cover the slot/play nickel or dime DB like Branch or Johnson.  They also can serve as a fill in for Walker until fully healthy if we don't re-sign Elliot.  It would be nice if we really focus on D early in the draft and can grab a couple starters there.  If that happens we have the chance to be a solid D next year.  

I am high on both Branch and Johnson. Would be thrilled with either of them. 

With Aaron Glenn returning to the Lions as DC, so far, we've only lost Duce Staley as RB coach, correct? I know there are rumors that Seth Ryan might be in play for the Jets, but as of right now, he's still with Detroit. 

So the Lions are bringing back almost their entire coaching staff, plus Scottie Montgomery as RB coach and Dre Bly as CB coach. I think its interesting that Bly is only CB coach, as there are rumors Glover Quin might be added as S coach. 

The continuity of this staff staying mostly intact this season bodes so well for the development and growth of such a young roster. Its nice to see guys want to stay and will be interesting if that stability will attract any free agents who might be hesitant to join a team with question marks. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

With Aaron Glenn returning to the Lions as DC, so far, we've only lost Duce Staley as RB coach, correct? I know there are rumors that Seth Ryan might be in play for the Jets, but as of right now, he's still with Detroit. 

So the Lions are bringing back almost their entire coaching staff, plus Scottie Montgomery as RB coach and Dre Bly as CB coach. I think its interesting that Bly is only CB coach, as there are rumors Glover Quin might be added as S coach. 

The continuity of this staff staying mostly intact this season bodes so well for the development and growth of such a young roster. Its nice to see guys want to stay and will be interesting if that stability will attract any free agents who might be hesitant to join a team with question marks. 

will ferrell omg GIF

On 2/13/2023 at 5:29 PM, Louis Friend said:

REPORT Todd Wash leaving to take the same job with Carolina Panthers per Dan Graziano ESPN

10 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

Which former player can we get to be DL coach? 

Finding the right replacement is going to be pretty important.  We already have a young group of D-lineman in Aidan Hutchinson, Alim McNeil, Josh Pascal and James Houston.  I think Alim McNeil hasn't quite reached his ceiling.  Josh Pascal and James Houston still have a lot of untapped potential also.  We will probably be adding a young DT in the draft also.  This might be the most critical off-season coaching staff decisions Dan Campbell and Aaron Glenn will have to make.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Just Want A Title said:

Finding the right replacement is going to be pretty important.  We already have a young group of D-lineman in Aidan Hutchinson, Alim McNeil, Josh Pascal and James Houston.  I think Alim McNeil hasn't quite reached his ceiling.  Josh Pascal and James Houston still have a lot of untapped potential also.  We will probably be adding a young DT in the draft also.  This might be the most critical off-season coaching staff decisions Dan Campbell and Aaron Glenn will have to make.

Not that I expect anything but we also have Levi in that mix as well.  And as you mentioned likely to add another one to three DL in the draft.  I agree this is definitely an important hire since growth from the DL is huge for improving our D as a whole. We have Cameron Davis as an assistant DL coach so wonder if he will be promoted or if they will look outside the organization.  Davis was only here one year so may not have the experience we want. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

And so it begins...

Per Twitter, Lions just cut Michael Brockers. Not unexpected. Frees up $10million in capspace. 

I would expect them to make decisions on Quintez Cephus, Charles Harris and Halapoulivaati Vaitai fairly soon.  Making Harris a pre-June 1st cut would create $4-millon in cap savings but post June 1st bumps that to $6 million.   It is a similar situation with Vaitai:  making him a pre-June 1st cut saves $6.5 Million but designating him a post June-st cut would save $9.5 million.  That would add either $13.5 million or $16.5 million in cap space depending on how they structure the roster moves.  

That should put them right at $40 million in cap space with a possible move with Romeo Okwara that could add more.