2023 Offseason Thread

Superduperman

1 hour ago, Just Want A Title said:

I would expect them to make decisions on Quintez Cephus, Charles Harris and Halapoulivaati Vaitai fairly soon.  Making Harris a pre-June 1st cut would create $4-millon in cap savings but post June 1st bumps that to $6 million.   It is a similar situation with Vaitai:  making him a pre-June 1st cut saves $6.5 Million but designating him a post June-st cut would save $9.5 million.  That would add either $13.5 million or $16.5 million in cap space depending on how they structure the roster moves.  

That should put them right at $40 million in cap space with a possible move with Romeo Okwara that could add more.  

I think I'd rather cut Romeo (age+contract) than Harris. Can also restructure a couple guys to add space. 

Harris, Hutch, Houston, Cominsky, Paschal, draft pick? Would be enough IMO. Use that money to address DT, LB, CB, S, RG, Back QB, K. 

4 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

I think I'd rather cut Romeo (age+contract) than Harris. Can also restructure a couple guys to add space. 

Harris, Hutch, Houston, Cominsky, Paschal, draft pick? Would be enough IMO. Use that money to address DT, LB, CB, S, RG, Back QB, K. 

The Lions just got themselves out of "Cap Jail".  Restructuring tends to create bigger problems down the line (see the Saints annual cap insanity).  If they can create $40 million in cap space without creating bigger hits later on they should do so.  

The thing with Romeo Okwara is that he might have some value after June 1st to a team that needs pass rushing depth or had an injury.  The best case scenario for the Lions is to be able to trade Romeo Okwara after June 1st.  They would get the same cap savings but get something in return.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

The Lions just got themselves out of "Cap Jail".  Restructuring tends to create bigger problems down the line (see the Saints annual cap insanity).  If they can create $40 million in cap space without creating bigger hits later on they should do so.  

The thing with Romeo Okwara is that he might have some value after June 1st to a team that needs pass rushing depth or had an injury.  The best case scenario for the Lions is to be able to trade Romeo Okwara after June 1st.  They would get the same cap savings but get something in return.

You do know that they can cut a player now with a post June 1st designation, correct? All it does is reduces the prorated future cap hits so it doesn't have to be paid all this season. Technically, we are already under the cap for the March 15th deadline.

Just now, Louis Friend said:

You do know that they can cut a player now with a post June 1st designation, correct? All it does is reduces the prorated future cap hits so it doesn't have to be paid all this season. Technically, we are already under the cap for the March 15th deadline.

As far as I know, each team only has 2 post June 1st cuts per year.  Quote:

Additionally, teams are allowed to designate up to two players per year as post-June 1st designations, even if they are released prior. The rule enables teams to maintain cap compliance during the offseason.Jun 1, 2022.

https://www.the33rdteam.com/category/training-camp/explaining-june-1-salary-cap-implications-in-the-nfl/

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

I kind of think Okwara doesn’t  have value in Detroit he’s unlikely to have value elsewhere at his current salary. He just isn’t available enough.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

I kind of think Okwara doesn’t  have value in Detroit he’s unlikely to have value elsewhere at his current salary. He just isn’t available enough.

That’s my take. The questions on his recovery and ability at that price is why we are discussing cutting him.  Nobody else is going to spend that much cap space with those same questions.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

His salary was okay three years ago when he was a useful rusher. Now he's older and has missed ALOT of the last two seasons while we've added real talent, and cheap talent, at his position. I like him as a person, but value wise, it makes much more sense to cut him and keep Harris than the other way around. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

That’s my take. The questions on his recovery and ability at that price is why we are discussing cutting him.  Nobody else is going to spend that much cap space with those same questions.  

How long have players like Frank Clark and Carlos Dunlap been able to hang just because they can generate pressures or sacks?  If a team has an injury during OTAs, which seems to happen every year, there could be an opening for a deal.  Also, a team might be looking to load up for  playoff run and be willing to give up something to improve their pass-rushing depth.

4 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Fp18nv2X0AEtz-T?format=jpg&name=medium

Jalen Ramsey is still on the short list of best 6-8 CBs but we would have to give up a lot to get him.  We will probably be in a position to have our choice of Devon Witherspoon or Christian Gonzalez without giving up any draft capital.  This would be an "all-in" trade made to get the Lions to the Super Bowl.  We aren't one player away from being a Super Bowl Contender.  This kind of short-term move doesn't seem to fit with how Brad Holmes wants to build the Lions.  I could see Cincinnati making that move though.

7 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

How long have players like Frank Clark and Carlos Dunlap been able to hang just because they can generate pressures or sacks?  If a team has an injury during OTAs, which seems to happen every year, there could be an opening for a deal.  Also, a team might be looking to load up for  playoff run and be willing to give up something to improve their pass-rushing depth.

Frank Clark's best ability is availability. He's never missed more than 2 games in a season in his 8 year career and might be a cap casualty this season unless he works a new deal with the Chiefs. Carlos Dunlap has only made more than $8,500,000 in a season twice, both years when he signed a new contract. His cap hit is $3,000,000. Romeo got paid $26 million over the last two seasons while playing 9 total games. His cap hit this season is $14,500,000. Both of those players offer more value for their contracts than what Romeo offers on his current contract.

7 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

Jalen Ramsey is still on the short list of best 6-8 CBs but we would have to give up a lot to get him.  We will probably be in a position to have our choice of Devon Witherspoon or Christian Gonzalez without giving up any draft capital.  This would be an "all-in" trade made to get the Lions to the Super Bowl.  We aren't one player away from being a Super Bowl Contender.  This kind of short-term move doesn't seem to fit with how Brad Holmes wants to build the Lions.  I could see Cincinnati making that move though.

1. What would be alot to you? a 1st? 2 2nds? 

2. We will be in position to get Witherspoon or Gonzalez no matter what trade the Lions make, as they would not send the #6 pick back to the Rams. 

3. Trading for a single player does not seem to be an "all-in" move. Every team adds players every offseason. Lions are expected to add one or two FAs outside of their own guys with the capspace they will have available. 

4. Not sure how trading for a guy on a 3 year deal is a "short-term move" when the Lions have signed guys to 1 or 2 year deals since the Holmes/Campbell regime arrived.

5. Not sure how adding a vet presence at a young position you are trying to build up is seen as a negative. Lions are the youngest team in the league. They don't need an influx of youth, they have plenty. And will have even more after the draft. Adding a vet player doesn't negate the foundation of how Holmes has built this team. The young guys need growth and development on the field. It's why we had guys like Roy Williams around for Calvin Johnson. Why we brought in KVB for Suh. Why we signed Glover Quin when we had Slay and Diggs.