2023 Off Season / Draft Thread

DM316

23 hours ago, SoCalDirtyBird said:

The best scheme fit for Lamar is the one he's already in IMO. Don't get me wrong, he would absolutely ball out here with our run game and the London-Pitts duo plucking his less-than-accurate passes out of the air with their good ball skills and tremendous wingspans.

But trading 2-3 first round picks + change AND giving him an insane contract probably wouldn't help us much in the wins category with the way our roster is constructed. The Rams and Broncos were in much better positions with the talent on their roster when they went out and got the "missing piece" QBs that they got. We, on the other hand, probably couldn't afford to have Lamar taking a giant portion of the cap, resigning our homegrown talent (best guard & top 5 corner in the league), and not having first round picks for the foreseeable future to infuse the roster with affordable talent.

Lamar is an incredible talent, no doubt. But he's not the missing piece for us, our roster still has a ways to go unfortunately. He could win a superbowl with NYJ with the way that roster is constructed though.

Fair enough. Maybe if the price for Lamar (both salary and picks) goes down, it will be a possibility. I have a feeling that if Lamar might be overvaluing himself and he will find that out if the Ravens allow other teams to negotiate with him. 

Regarding the Jets, they don't even have a OC now, so it's hard for me to predict whether he'll be a good fit. I don't see many better fits in the league than Arthur Smith's offense. 

I'd think with Lamar you'd be an easy 11-win team and should win the division without a problem. That would probably be good enough for Arthur Smith to get an extension. Another 7 win season, on the other, would dampen his employment prospects.  

On 1/23/2023 at 9:27 AM, AngusMcFife said:

Fair enough. Maybe if the price for Lamar (both salary and picks) goes down, it will be a possibility. I have a feeling that if Lamar might be overvaluing himself and he will find that out if the Ravens allow other teams to negotiate with him. 

Regarding the Jets, they don't even have a OC now, so it's hard for me to predict whether he'll be a good fit. I don't see many better fits in the league than Arthur Smith's offense. 

I'd think with Lamar you'd be an easy 11-win team and should win the division without a problem. That would probably be good enough for Arthur Smith to get an extension. Another 7 win season, on the other, would dampen his employment prospects.  

We'd have a good year next year (provided Lamar can avoid injury), get bounced from the playoffs early cause we still can't stop anyone, and the clock would be ticking again for Smith in the seasons to follow. We'd be back in the cap hell that we just got out of, with a superstar QB that has been prone to missing time up to this point in his career, with no good draft picks to help us turn things around. Mans needs to just stay with the only team that doesn't have to give up a ton of picks for him IMO. We'll see how this plays out.

7 hours ago, SoCalDirtyBird said:

We'd have a good year next year (provided Lamar can avoid injury), get bounced from the playoffs early cause we still can't stop anyone, and the clock would be ticking again for Smith in the seasons to follow. We'd be back in the cap hell that we just got out of, with a superstar QB that has been prone to missing time up to this point in his career, with no good draft picks to help us turn things around. Mans needs to just stay with the only team that doesn't have to give up a ton of picks for him IMO. We'll see how this plays out.

Love that Falcon optimism, LOL

• Like 1

Waaaaayyy too many holes to make that deal. I get that draft picks aren't guaranteed to hit and a franchise QB is the say all, be all but I saw one comp package that was floated and it would be a hard pass ..... Terrell, Jarrett, and 2 1st's plus more picks. 

I just thought of this wildcard and I don't know how to feel about one way or the other. Throwing it out there because it's in the realm of possibility. Remember the rumblings that the new regime was high on Trey Lance and he would've been the pick over Pitts if he was there? It would have to be for pennies on the dollar as far as what they gave up. Thoughts?

Edited by DM316

1 hour ago, DM316 said:

I just thought of this wildcard and I don't know how to feel about one way for the other. Throwing it out there because it's in the realm of possibility. Remember the rumblings that the new regime was high on Trey Lance and he would've been the pick over Pitts if he was there? It would have to be for pennies on the dollar as far as what they gave up. Thoughts?

3rd rounder that can become a 2nd if he hits certain statistical incentives or I'm out on Lance personally. And I don't think the 9ers would even touch that deal. Look at how much they wanted JimmyG

On 1/26/2023 at 10:17 AM, SoCalDirtyBird said:

3rd rounder that can become a 2nd if he hits certain statistical incentives or I'm out on Lance personally. And I don't think the 9ers would even touch that deal. Look at how much they wanted JimmyG

Also have to look at Rosen. Sunk cost if you know you have an upgrade.

LAS VEGAS -- The Atlanta Falcons hired Ryan Nielsen as defensive coordinator, taking him from their biggest rival after he spent last season as the co-defensive coordinator of the New Orleans Saints.

The 43-year-old Nielsen spent the last six seasons with the Saints, where he was the defensive line coach all six years while adding the assistant head coach title in 2021 and co-defensive coordinator last season.

Since 2017, the Saints have recorded 281 sacks -- second-most in the NFL over that span --and have finished in the top four in run defense in four of the past five seasons.

From ESPN. What do you guys think of the Nielsen hire? I was hoping for Evero, Wilks, or Flores personally. 

That being said, I don't hate the Nielsen hire. He obviously has a strong record in maximizing defensive line play, which is something we've needed for quite some time now. And I think that having talented, experienced guys like Terrell, Hayward, Oliver and Alford in the secondary will allow him to really focus in on the front 7 and winning in the trenches. I'm very hopeful with this hire!

• Like 1

On 1/27/2023 at 6:31 PM, SoCalDirtyBird said:

From ESPN. What do you guys think of the Nielsen hire? I was hoping for Evero, Wilks, or Flores personally. 

That being said, I don't hate the Nielsen hire. He obviously has a strong record in maximizing defensive line play, which is something we've needed for quite some time now. And I think that having talented, experienced guys like Terrell, Hayward, Oliver and Alford in the secondary will allow him to really focus in on the front 7 and winning in the trenches. I'm very hopeful with this hire!

I am as well, and it weakens our hated rival.

• 1 month later...

Vet QBs I want for next year in the 4-8m range in order:

1. Darnold

2. Ryan (lol, I’d love it)

3. Dalton

4. Wentz (don’t know if he’d play for that cheap)

All guys that can can come in and execute (somewhat) similar to the way Tannehill has executed in Smith’s offense. They’re all options that could keep us somewhat competitive if Ridder flops or gets hurt.

I’m not a fan of tanking for Caleb Williams in any scenario personally.

3 hours ago, SoCalDirtyBird said:

Vet QBs I want for next year in the 4-8m range in order:

1. Darnold

2. Ryan (lol, I’d love it)

3. Dalton

4. Wentz (don’t know if he’d play for that cheap)

All guys that can can come in and execute (somewhat) similar to the way Tannehill has executed in Smith’s offense. They’re all options that could keep us somewhat competitive if Ridder flops or gets hurt.

I’m not a fan of tanking for Caleb Williams in any scenario personally.

Heinicke for me.

22 hours ago, scar988 said:

Bridgewater. 

Trubisky. Those are my top guys in that range.

Agreed on Bridgewater. I could come around on Trubisky depending on contract. I still think dominoes fall in such a way that Tannehill ends up here (just gut, and it looks like TEN may look to start fresh).

Now that we're a week away from free agency, who do you think we'll target? Jessie Bates seems a given with the pics on the internet. We've discussed Davenport, think we make a run at him as well. A veteran QB seems a given as well. Anyone else? I hope we go big on one or two of the "first wave" free agents, then wait until the second wave to fill other needs. I'm curious if we will target an RT in FA or in the draft