2023 NFL coaching rumors and notes

Forge

25 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Welp

my money is on Sean Payton now

I think Payton waits to see what happens with Dallas and McCarthy and either takes the Denver job or goes back to TV for one more year. The Panthers job isn't bad at all but I'm not sure if that is the spot for Payton. Thought this would be a really good job for Ryans though. 

10 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I think Payton waits to see what happens with Dallas and McCarthy and either takes the Denver job or goes back to TV for one more year. The Panthers job isn't bad at all but I'm not sure if that is the spot for Payton. Thought this would be a really good job for Ryans though. 

I don't see where McCarthy gets fired unless the Cowboys lose this week.

7 minutes ago, scar988 said:

I don't see where McCarthy gets fired unless the Cowboys lose this week.

Right, but what if the Cowboys get blown out on Sunday? Not saying he would get fired but I'm sure Payton will want to wait it out and see what happens there. I don't think he gets fired regardless of what happens fyi. 

Really great for Detroit, really risky by Ben Johnson.

There are only 32 nfl head coaching jobs on the planet, and if we are being honest, not all of those are great. There are a few genuinely good ones available right now, those teams have interest in you, and there is no guarantee there will be any good openings next year. 

All that said, we as fans and prognosticators are always trying to give great coordinators head coaching jobs when they may not be ready or may not even want them. Good on Johnson for being honest with himself. It may not be a good move from a financial standpoint, but it may end up better for his long term career prospects spending a little longer as a coordinator. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I'm biased, but I think it is a good spot for him and better than Denver's.  Even if we assume 2022 was a fluke for Russ, even at his best, he's not an ideal fit for Payton's offense.  He's not a timing QB.  Panthers don't have a franchise QB, but we aren't tied down to anyone.  Corral is the only QB signed to the roster currently.  And we have an aggressive front office, so Payton could feel comfortable knowing the team would support whatever move he wants to make.  And we know the Panthers are willing to give a coach control over decision-making.

Which I actually think makes the Panthers a low-key candidate for Tom Brady.  Especially if we end up with Sean Payton.  It arguably makes the most sense out of any of the NFC teams and I think the Panthers could be the most aggressive.

FWIW I'm not saying I want any of this to happen.  I don't think a trade for Payton involving a 1st round pick is smart.  Although I really question if he actually goes for a 1st.  Gruden was in his 30s when he got traded.  Belichick was in his late 40s.  Payton is 59 and teams tend to go younger with HC hires nowadays.  But we'll see.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

I cannot see McCarthy getting fired, no matter what happens against SF.  He led his team further in the playoffs then last year, over coming his starting QB missing time due to injury.  IMO, his job is very safe. 

I cannot see McCarthy getting fired even if they had lost to TB. 

0% chance he gets fired losing to SF this week, even in a blowout, unless some crazy off the field stuff comes out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scar988 said:

He's just not a likable dude and has a lot of off-field questions from his time at Colorado.

IDK about his personality TBH, but to piggy-back off that Bienemy also is likely facing a stigma of being an offensive Reid disciple.

McDermott looks fantastic, Harbaugh has had a great career as a HC, Rivera has been a mid-HC who I think is nothing special (but there have been FAR worse options). That alone is a hell of a group. Bowles, Spags, and Frazier were not good HCs but no coaching tree is going be perfect.

But on the offensive side the only HC who hasn't been terrible was/is Pederson. Childress was the next best, and both Nagy and Shurmur were terrible HCs.

It can be assumed that the DC has the handle of the defense, so they are use to semi-free delegation of their side ofthe ball, but with how the offense never seems to slow down when an OC becomes a HC and the mostly negative flops that come from them, it is easy to see why some are skeptical of Reid's OCs.

4 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

McDermott looks fantastic, Harbaugh has had a great career as a HC, Rivera has been a mid-HC who I think is nothing special (but there have been FAR worse options). That alone is a hell of a group. Bowles, Spags, and Frazier were not good HCs but no coaching tree is going be perfect.

Damn, early 2000s Eagles had one hell of a coaching staff.

Weird how maybe the best coach on that staff (not inc. Reid) and one of the best coordinators of all-time never became a head coach (Jim Johnson).

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

IDK about his personality TBH, but to piggy-back off that Bienemy also is likely facing a stigma of being an offensive Reid disciple.

But on the offensive side the only HC who hasn't been terrible was/is Pederson. Childress was the next best, and both Nagy and Shurmur were terrible HCs.

It can be assumed that the DC has the handle of the defense, so they are use to semi-free delegation of their side ofthe ball, but with how the offense never seems to slow down when an OC becomes a HC and the mostly negative flops that come from them, it is easy to see why some are skeptical of Reid's OCs.

I'm waiting for the day people realize being a head coach is about far more than coordinating a single side of the ball. 

I think that's why we see so many bad head coaching hires. 

• Like 3