2023 NFL coaching rumors and notes

Forge

2 minutes ago, scar988 said:

Or the 3 straight 7-9 seasons with a 5000 yard QB every year.

Somehow him going 3 straight years without making the playoffs with prime Brees is better than Mike McCarthy losing in NFC title games with Rodgers lol

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Had there been a coordinator hired to be a HC off the back of a 32nd ranked performance? 31st in points, 29th in yards in 2021. 28th in points, 32nd in yards in 2022. Smells like a Rooney rule.

Mike McCarthy was hired to be the HC in GB after being the 49ers OC of the 32nd ranked offense 

• Like 5

What happens if Sean Payton says he's coaching and no team trades for him? Are they forced to demote Dennis Allen? If the Raiders wanted two 1sts and two 2nds and everyone said no, Gruden continues coaching his SB ready team in Oakland. Surely the Saints see the difference right? I think he should return to New Orleans. Dennis Allen isn't the guy and has obviously not been the guy since he was in Oakland. If he wants to coach and doesn't want to be in New Orleans then the trade value should be lower, like a single first or high second, imo.

It shocked me at first, but after thinking about it - it kinda makes sense.

If a good QB comes onto the market, he is likely to reset the market, even if he's not necessarily the best.

Sean Payton may not be Bill Walsh, but who is available right now with a better resume?

19 minutes ago, Trojan said:

What happens if Sean Payton says he's coaching and no team trades for him? Are they forced to demote Dennis Allen? If the Raiders wanted two 1sts and two 2nds and everyone said no, Gruden continues coaching his SB ready team in Oakland. Surely the Saints see the difference right? I think he should return to New Orleans. Dennis Allen isn't the guy and has obviously not been the guy since he was in Oakland. If he wants to coach and doesn't want to be in New Orleans then the trade value should be lower, like a single first or high second, imo.

Interesting question...I think they would just have to pay him and it would run off a year on his contract ? They can use him as the coach or not at that juncture ?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Interesting question...I think they would just have to pay him and it would run off a year on his contract ? They can use him as the coach or not at that juncture ?

Could he play a game like "I might come back, if someone trades for me"? It's a really good question Trojan asked.

22 minutes ago, Trojan said:

Payton and Allen are friends so I dont think Allen would object to that.  Allen couldn't handle bigger job than coordinator it seems.  I wonder even with him being demoted back to DC, would he receive HC salary instead of DC salary?

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I find it funny how stats seem to matter so much to fans in the coaching search. So much of statistical performance is how talented the players you have to work with are. 

It amazes me how owners will simply hire based off a current teams success. Raid the staff and think it will work in their city too. 

In hiring a HC, hire the person, not the scheme. Find someone who can delegate, build a strong staff and allow the players a voice.

It's almost like (not all, but for a lot of them at this point it's the case) nepro-babies are lazy and just looking for the easy solution of copying someone else's work in order to succeed...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ravishingone said:

Really surprised Monken did not get a HC job in college.  Did well at Southern Miss before going to the NFL for the first time.  

Monken did quite well the last time he was in TB. I think he prefers not to be a HC, just a guess, as he quit his job at USM.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Monken did quite well the last time he was in TB. I think he prefers not to be a HC, just a guess, as he quit his job at USM.

Interesting theory, I cannot disagree.  If Brady does not return to the Bucs, I'm not sure the allure for Monken to go there.  If the team falls apart next season without Brady, Bowles will probably be fired.  Monken's resume is very impressive right now.  Curious to see where he ends up.