2023 NFL coaching rumors and notes

Forge

40 minutes ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

Justin Herbert, elite QB, everyone around him should be fired whenever he falters: 25 total tds 13 turnovers

Justin Fields, awful QB, should be replaced: 25 total tds 13 turnovers 

funny how that shakes out 🤔 

Herbert: 68.2% completion 4,739yds passing

Fields: 60.4% completion 2,252yds passing

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

Herbert: 68.2% completion 4,739yds passing

Fields: 60.4% completion 2,252yds passing

Moreover:

Passing Advanced Passing
Rk Player Year QBrec Att Cmp% Y/A+ NY/A+ AY/A+ ANY/A+ Cmp%+ TD%+ Int%+ Sack%+ Rate+
1 Justin Fields 2022 3-12-0 318 60.4 100 75 95 79 81 112 75 41 92
2 Justin Herbert 2022 10-7-0 699 68.2 93 99 99 103 117 91 119 109 105

Those numbers for Fields are some of the lowest I've ever seen doing these comparisons for a single season.

On 1/19/2023 at 12:15 PM, N4L said:

Mike McCarthy was hired to be the HC in GB after being the 49ers OC of the 32nd ranked offense 

I didn't realize that. Insanity lmfao

Even more insanity that they managed to win a ring with him, but that might be due to the talent that Ted Thompson acquired through the years.

8 hours ago, Trojan said:

I read Sean Payton wants 20-25mil a year, the only other HC contract I can think of somewhat recently is Gruden 10y/100mil which everyone hated. Is there any comps for 20+ mil a year? Is this him just making crazy demands because the opening he wanted isn't available so he is asking for TV money? I don't pay attention to college coach money, but they don't make that range either right? Like this is a legit 2x premium coach money right? Or is 20-25mil for the entirety of his staff or something along those lines?

6 hours ago, Dbrog24 said:

Top College coaches are around 10mil/yr and actually it's around the same in the NFL, unless your name is Sean McVay who gets 15+

So yes, it's 2x premium coach money which no one in their right mind would give....unless you are the Walmarts 😉

This source (dated Dec 2022) has Bill Belichick making 20m a year. The rest of the premium coaches are in the 10-15m range.

Bill Belichick Tops List of Highest-Paid American Coaches, per Report - Sports Illustrated

---------

So if you think about it like a new QB resetting the market, is 20-25m for a SB winning coach with a strong resume really that crazy?

Feels like when Derek Carr was the highest paid player in the league.

56 minutes ago, Soggust said:

So if you think about it like a new QB resetting the market, is 20-25m for a SB winning coach with a strong resume really that crazy?

Feels like when Derek Carr was the highest paid player in the league.

Is Sean Payton also going to be the teams GM, like Belichick? Just because you've won a SB within your past doesn't mean you should be making Belichick type money. He's the GOAT for a reason, I do find a difference. 

38 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Is Sean Payton also going to be the teams GM, like Belichick? Just because you've won a SB within your past doesn't mean you should be making Belichick type money. He's the GOAT for a reason, I do find a difference. 

Again, I just don't think the best coach/player always gets paid the most, so I don't think the resume really matters (at the top). Belichick is better, sure, but he isn't available.

Payton's got the best resume of any Free Agent coach by a mile (that I can tell), and there are a bunch of desperate teams. Considering it doesn't count against the cap, what's stopping someone from overpaying for his services? Especially when two of the main bidders for you are likely the two richest owners in the league.

Edited by Soggust

29 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

No the HC with more SB rings then

Sean, Andy, Mike, Doug, Pete and Sean combine. That highest paid GM/HC.

And how's he done since losing Brady? How is he at hiring a coaching staff?

Bill is a great defensive minded coach. But as more time goes by, it's looking like Brady was the main key to the Patriots success.

56 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

And how's he done since losing Brady? How is he at hiring a coaching staff?

Bill is a great defensive minded coach. But as more time goes by, it's looking like Brady was the main key to the Patriots success.

If you think Tom Brady was the reason the Patriots won thier first 3 SB, you clearly don't remember the early 2000 Patriots.

Arguing that is like suggesting Bill Walsh wasn't responsible for SF winning any SB is was all Joe Montana. Without Bradshaw, Noll doesn't win. Jimmy, without Aikman. You can't prove or disprove either side. They worked in tandem.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

If you think Tom Brady was the reason the Patriots won thier first 3 SB, you clearly don't remember the early 2000 Patriots.

Arguing that is like suggesting Bill Walsh wasn't responsible for SF winning any SB is was all Joe Montana. Without Bradshaw, Noll doesn't win. Jimmy, without Aikman. You can't prove or disprove either side. They worked in tandem.

Yep. Brady and Arians worked in tandem.