2023 NFL coaching rumors and notes

Forge

45 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

For a guy who had to fire the guy who brought him along early in his career  (Lombardi) you’d think he’s learned to not mix friendship and work so tightly.   Robinson would address the run game but it’s hard not to wonder if he’s going back to the LA familiarity angle rather than cast the widest net possible to find the right guy.   I like Robinson FWIW but more speaking in general terms.  

Also surprised anyone from the Bengals isn’t in the mix.

Well the NO beat guys throwing out that Payton may be booth-bound again.   That’s the 2-sided part of the equation.  If the only teams Payton likes aren’t willing to meet NO’s price or give him the control he wants (or both) - back to the booth.    Could really get interesting this week.  

Edited by Broncofan

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

Amarumo is going to be the hot guy next year.   Agree he’s done enough to be in the same tier as Ryans / Morris (the latter having been a HC I think he’d have learned).   

Also thinking about Dan Pritcher for our OC position.

7 minutes ago, Xenos said:

I keep hearing Bobby Slowik’s name in Chargers circle as a possible candidate.

Slowik has been around for a bit, but mostly as an assistant and QC. This is his first year as a passing game coordinator. He's a former PFF analyst which is kind of fun, but not a lot of real experience there. I'd be a bit surprised if Staley put his job on the line for that. Slowik will be an OC at some point, I think, but that is a pretty fast rise.  

On 1/22/2023 at 7:58 PM, ET80 said:

Ooooof… quit playing games with me. Quit it. 

After last season the trend of former mediocre backup QB's with no prior coaching experience getting bumped to the front of the line for no conceivable reason needs to be continued.  Congratulations, ET.  I hope you enjoy Chris Simms as your new HC.

32 minutes ago, Forge said:

Maybe he should get some interviews.  But to call it a joke that he hasn't?  I don't know about that.  Stats aren't the be all, end all, but this years defense is the first he's coached to a top-6 finish in scoring.  25th in yards and 29th in points in 2019.  22nd in points and 26th in yards in 2020.  17th in points and 19th in yards in 2021.  That might not be all his fault, but let's not act like he has a history of coaching up heavyweight defenses.    

On top of that, he's 56 years old.  How many coaches have been interviewed so far that are his age and don't have HC experience already?  I don't know about other teams but the Panthers have only interviewed 2 defensive-minded candidates: Wilks (who was only interviewed because he was the interim HC; no other team has reached out to him) and Evero.  We did request an interview with Ryans though.  Evero is 42 and Ryans is 38.

3 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Meanwhile Cowboys fans…..

😂😂😂🤣

What's the problem with Kellen Moore?  Genuine question because I don't watch the Cowboys every week.

From an outsiders perspective, what makes his resume any worse than the likes of Zac Taylor, Kevin O'Connell, Matt LaFleur, etc. before they got hired?  He has 4 years of play-calling experience and almost every year has the Cowboys near the top in offense productivity.  He's proven he can work with a back-up QB (Dalton and Rush).  It feels like he does a pretty good job of getting everyone involved.  I could be wrong but in the games I've watched, his short-yardage play-calling is usually pretty good.  I know people have been pointing to the game on Sunday, but guys were open... Dak missed some throws.

But like I said, I don't watch the Cowboys every week and stats don't always tell the whole story.  What are some issues with him?

Edited by iknowcool

5 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Maybe he should get some interviews.  But to call it a joke that he hasn't?  I don't know about that.  Stats aren't the be all, end all, but this years defense is the first he's coached to a top-6 finish in scoring.  25th in yards and 29th in points in 2019.  22nd in points and 26th in yards in 2020.  17th in points and 19th in yards in 2021.  That might not be all his fault, but let's not act like he has a history of coaching up heavyweight defenses.    

On top of that, he's 56 years old.  How many coaches have been interviewed so far that are his age and don't have HC experience already?  I don't know about other teams but the Panthers have only interviewed 2 defensive-minded candidates: Wilks (who was only interviewed because he was the interim HC; no other team has reached out to him) and Evero.  We did request an interview with Ryans though.  Evero is 42 and Ryans is 38.

This.  I've said on plenty of Bengals boards is the trend of going after younger offensive minded coaches.  Anarumo is neither.

30 minutes ago, Forge said:

Keep Demeco...if we lose Demeco, hire Evero to replace him as DC. 

Denver will block any lateral moves.  They already did with an earlier request.   Sounds like ownership will stand firm on him being retained as DC and likely promoted to AC with a raise with whoever the new HC is.  No brainer imo.  

Edited by Broncofan