2023 NFL coaching rumors and notes

Forge

On 2/3/2023 at 12:04 PM, jrry32 said:

That's odd. I know Murray can be a difficult personality, but he's not a bad QB.

There is a lot of “coach killer” traits in Kyler Murray - highly drafted, huge contract, poor work ethic, inability to play in structure effectively, etc. He’s going to make some wow plays that look like he’s making something out of nothing, earning him (and only him) a lot of credit. He’s also going to make some ghastly plays where you’re going to blame him (as well as anyone who designed or called the play).

Unless Murray suddenly develops the study habits and poise to understand structure and perform in structure, the juice is never going to equal the squeeze with him. Kyler requires so many concessions to his style of football, I can see why people would be hesitant.

• Like 5

Honestly if the Cardinals job scares you because of Kyler, you’re soft and shouldn’t be an NFL head coach. This team was 11-0 with Kliff Kingsbury as a head coach, predominantly because of Kyler’s talent. But also I don’t buy that Kyler scares away coaches. Personalities don’t scare away coaches when the talent is obvious 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Forge said:

Come to SF. Be a head coach in two years

It would be the smartest place to go imo. He has a fantastic history learning from great DCs that likely played into how ready he was for the job. If he can learn from great HCs to prep him for that role, there are few better than Shannahan. 

27 minutes ago, grizmo78 said:

It would be the smartest place to go imo. He has a fantastic history learning from great DCs that likely played into how ready he was for the job. If he can learn from great HCs to prep him for that role, there are few better than Shannahan. 

I'd choose Minnesota. They have a lot of good pieces on that defense. If you turn them around, you're basically guaranteed to be a HC in 2024.

2 hours ago, LuckyNumber11 said:

This team was 11-0 with Kliff Kingsbury as a head coach, predominantly because of Kyler’s talent. 

When were they 11-0?  Kyler's never even won more than 9 games in a season and the team has a losing record under him (not that it falls on Murray).  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LuckyNumber11 said:

Honestly if the Cardinals job scares you because of Kyler, you’re soft and shouldn’t be an NFL head coach. This team was 11-0 with Kliff Kingsbury as a head coach, predominantly because of Kyler’s talent. But also I don’t buy that Kyler scares away coaches. Personalities don’t scare away coaches when the talent is obvious 

When? Is that including preseason or something? 

I know everyone loves slamming Kyler Murray, but I don’t think enough people realize how badly Steve Keim was destroying the Cardinals. From the absolute horrific drafts to the fetish of passed-his-prime FA signings to the horrific coordinator hires.

Kyler has his own problems, but Steve Keim did such a number on that franchise to the point he was arguably the worst GM in the league.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I'd choose Minnesota. They have a lot of good pieces on that defense. If you turn them around, you're basically guaranteed to be a HC in 2024.

I’m not as optimistic as you. The DL and Lb group really aren’t good. There’s some decent players like Phillips, Tonga. Tomlinson is a FA. Hunter can still be really good but I think he’s best suited with his hand in the dirt. Too often he was in coverage last year. Z. Smith fizzled out by midseason, seems nagging injuries really slowed him down.  I certainly don’t expect Kendricks or Hicks to be back due to cost cutting measures, Brian Asamoah did flash last year so maybe he fills one of those spots.

Patrick Peterson and Duke Shelley are both free agents and MN is strapped for cap space. Don’t know how they’ll make that work.  

The defense requires a complete rebuild but how do you do it with limited cap and draft resources? Even managing a top 20 defense would be a huge success at this point. 

However, MN managed to be a playoff team with a terrible defense and that could propel whoever takes the DC job into a HC role in 2024. So MN isn’t a bad place if you’re looking to make that leap. Isn’t Aaron Glenn getting a lot of HC looks despite having a bad defense? He wasn’t even on a playoff team. 

Edited by vikingsrule

12 hours ago, LuckyNumber11 said:

Matt Patricia traded Darius Slay and Quandre Diggs away for peanuts because they had personalities.

I can't think of any good coaches who have done the same, but a terrible one was making it a habit. 

2 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

I’m not as optimistic as you. The DL and Lb group really aren’t good. There’s some decent players like Phillips, Tonga. Tomlinson is a FA. Hunter can still be really good but I think he’s best suited with his hand in the dirt. Too often he was in coverage last year. Z. Smith fizzled out by midseason, seems nagging injuries really slowed him down.  I certainly don’t expect Kendricks or Hicks to be back due to cost cutting measures, Brian Asamoah did flash last year so maybe he fills one of those spots.

Patrick Peterson and Duke Shelley are both free agents and MN is strapped for cap space. Don’t know how they’ll make that work.  

The defense requires a complete rebuild but how do you do it with limited cap and draft resources? Even managing a top 20 defense would be a huge success at this point. 

However, MN managed to be a playoff team with a terrible defense and that could propel whoever takes the DC job into a HC role in 2024. So MN isn’t a bad place if you’re looking to make that leap. Isn’t Aaron Glenn getting a lot of HC looks despite having a bad defense? He wasn’t even on a playoff team. 

I'll piggy back off this response to Jrry. The risk with Minnesota is if you don't turn it around, your HC prospects could dry up. With SF you know they have a ton of talent and chances of having a top defense is much more likely than with Minnesota. Their past two DC (Saleh and Ryans) got HC jobs so there is some good precedent there. And as I mentioned, beyond a 2024 HC job, you are learning from one of the better HCs in the league and setting yourself up for success once you do get that opportunity. 

So far, he has worked under Sean McVay, Jim Harbaugh, John Gruden (and Hackett). That's a pretty good list of people he's learned from so he's not exactly lacking in that department but Shannahan definitely wouldn't hurt to add to that group.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Ditto Bill O’Brien and DeAndre Hopkins/Jadevion Clowney.

It is going to be interesting But I really think both Kingsbury and Murray due there jobs well enough to win super bowls .

Are those 2 good enough to over come bad drafts no.

Eg Matthew stafford was he good enough to overcome bad drafts no.

Eg Mayfield was he good enough to overcome drafts of berry no again. 

The point head coaching can not over come passing on excellent lineman,wr,plus excellent edges.

Another example Detroit verses Cleveland Detroit starts with a horrible team then but out drafts Cleveland now Detroit has 9 wins Cleveland 

Fans answer it was Mayfield fault how about this year the same defense that intercepted Ben Roethlisberger plus beat Tom "the goat "Brady it is the defensive coordinator fault even though the linebackers are historically horrific

And he was left with 2 defensive tackles that averaged 125.00 

Happy So Excited GIF by TikTok

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grizmo78 said:

I'll piggy back off this response to Jrry. The risk with Minnesota is if you don't turn it around, your HC prospects could dry up. With SF you know they have a ton of talent and chances of having a top defense is much more likely than with Minnesota. Their past two DC (Saleh and Ryans) got HC jobs so there is some good precedent there. And as I mentioned, beyond a 2024 HC job, you are learning from one of the better HCs in the league and setting yourself up for success once you do get that opportunity. 

So far, he has worked under Sean McVay, Jim Harbaugh, John Gruden (and Hackett). That's a pretty good list of people he's learned from so he's not exactly lacking in that department but Shannahan definitely wouldn't hurt to add to that group.

Wouldn't Sean Payton have been a pretty good coach to learn under?