2023 NFL coaching rumors and notes

Forge

7 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Wouldn't Sean Payton have been a pretty good coach to learn under?

His tree never really took off that much, they had a lot of job retention though. Who has made it out of Payton's tree Dan Campbell? He used to block Aaron Glenn while calling him a future head coach. Joe Lombardi left after Payton retired I think, but maybe he slipped out a year before. I can't think of anyone who moved up from his Saints.

Edited by Trojan

14 hours ago, iknowcool said:

When were they 11-0?  Kyler's never even won more than 9 games in a season and the team has a losing record under him (not that it falls on Murray).  

Honestly think I mixed up whether I wanted to say 7-0 or won 11 games in 2021. So whichever you want to switch my statement too, I stand by that 😂

5 hours ago, grizmo78 said:

I'll piggy back off this response to Jrry. The risk with Minnesota is if you don't turn it around, your HC prospects could dry up. With SF you know they have a ton of talent and chances of having a top defense is much more likely than with Minnesota. Their past two DC (Saleh and Ryans) got HC jobs so there is some good precedent there. And as I mentioned, beyond a 2024 HC job, you are learning from one of the better HCs in the league and setting yourself up for success once you do get that opportunity. 

So far, he has worked under Sean McVay, Jim Harbaugh, John Gruden (and Hackett). That's a pretty good list of people he's learned from so he's not exactly lacking in that department but Shannahan definitely wouldn't hurt to add to that group.

If Evero as good of a DC as I think he is, he'll turn them around. In SF, you'd be following a great DC in DeMeco, and SF has a lot of dudes about to hit FA. Yes, that defense will still be very talented. But if they take a step back, how does that affect your HC odds? In my mind, the odds of Evero improving things in Minnesota are better than the odds of him keeping SF from falling off at all.

7 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

I’m not as optimistic as you. The DL and Lb group really aren’t good. There’s some decent players like Phillips, Tonga. Tomlinson is a FA. Hunter can still be really good but I think he’s best suited with his hand in the dirt. Too often he was in coverage last year. Z. Smith fizzled out by midseason, seems nagging injuries really slowed him down.  I certainly don’t expect Kendricks or Hicks to be back due to cost cutting measures, Brian Asamoah did flash last year so maybe he fills one of those spots.

Patrick Peterson and Duke Shelley are both free agents and MN is strapped for cap space. Don’t know how they’ll make that work.  

The defense requires a complete rebuild but how do you do it with limited cap and draft resources? Even managing a top 20 defense would be a huge success at this point. 

However, MN managed to be a playoff team with a terrible defense and that could propel whoever takes the DC job into a HC role in 2024. So MN isn’t a bad place if you’re looking to make that leap. Isn’t Aaron Glenn getting a lot of HC looks despite having a bad defense? He wasn’t even on a playoff team. 

My opinion is that Donatell was a bad DC. Just having a DC who is better at scheming and adjusting from week to week should make a big difference. As for cap space, I expect they'll open up enough money through restructures and cuts to do what they need to do.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Acgott said:

Super lame move by the Broncos considering the Falcons and a few teams asked to interview him for their DC position a week or 2 back and were denied and blocked from doing so.  If you were going to release him anyways you might as well out of good faith let him atleast get some good interviews in.  I would have loved him as the hire for the Falcons as DC he was one of the 1st guys we were after and wanted to interview. 

33 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

If Evero as good of a DC as I think he is, he'll turn them around. In SF, you'd be following a great DC in DeMeco, and SF has a lot of dudes about to hit FA. Yes, that defense will still be very talented. But if they take a step back, how does that affect your HC odds? In my mind, the odds of Evero improving things in Minnesota are better than the odds of him keeping SF from falling off at all.

My opinion is that Donatell was a bad DC. Just having a DC who is better at scheming and adjusting from week to week should make a big difference. As for cap space, I expect they'll open up enough money through restructures and cuts to do what they need to do.

They also need to make sure they can fit long term deals in for Jefferson and Hockenson. Donatell was bad sure, but the Vikes defense has really been bad for three seasons now. That’s spanned two regimes with largely the same personnel. The defense needs a rebuild. My biggest concern with Evero is he’s probably gone for a HC gig in a year with moderate team success. Wish we could find a coordinator who could stay for 2 years minimum for some continuity, it’s going to be a multi year rebuild given the amount of turnover that will be required.