2023 NFL coaching rumors and notes

Forge

On 2/4/2023 at 5:11 PM, LuckyNumber11 said:

Honestly if the Cardinals job scares you because of Kyler, you’re soft and shouldn’t be an NFL head coach. This team was 11-0 with Kliff Kingsbury as a head coach, predominantly because of Kyler’s talent. But also I don’t buy that Kyler scares away coaches. Personalities don’t scare away coaches when the talent is obvious 

Meh. I think every coach should be selective with the job that they take because if you flame out early there's a good chance you're never going to get another crack at it. The Cardinals were good last year because they had a ton of talent around Kyler and a very good defense. They lost a lot of pieces defensively and Kyler is coming off of a major knee injury as a smaller QB that takes a ton of hits and hasn't really been able to stay healthy.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Meh. I think every coach should be selective with the job that they take because if you flame out early there's a good chance you're never going to get another crack at it. The Cardinals were good last year because they had a ton of talent around Kyler and a very good defense. They lost a lot of pieces defensively and Kyler is coming off of a major knee injury as a smaller QB that takes a ton of hits and hasn't really been able to stay healthy.

There’s only 32 of these jobs. Eric Bienemy tried to be selective of the head coaching job he wanted a few years ago and rejected a Cardinals interview. Now he doesn’t even get interview requests anymore, and I don’t think those two things are unrelated. 

Just now, LuckyNumber11 said:

There’s only 32 of these jobs. Eric Bienemy tried to be selective of the head coaching job he wanted a few years ago and rejected a Cardinals interview. Now he doesn’t even get interview requests anymore, and I don’t think those two things are unrelated. 

I think EB's past also plays a role in him not getting a ton of interest from other NFL teams. 

• Like 3

Just now, Rrrrrrrams said:

with evero now getting the dc job in carolina, i'm pretty sure morris will not be getting the hc gig in indy.
morris will be back with the rams.

FWIW:

Wink Martindale was given just +700 odds, or an implied 12.5% chance to land the Colts head coach job on Saturday. That was fourth on the market behind Saturday, Raheem Morris, and Shane Steichen. Now he’s the runaway favorite and appears to have the job locked up with -150 odds or an implied 60% chance to be the Colts' next head coach. 

I didn't think this needed it's own thread and am curious and maybe this gets lost in here but, does anyone think that the OC search for the Ravens may give a tell on their plans on what to do with Lamar? Now I'm not part if the Falcon fans contingency that wants Lamar as I want the tea to build itself back up and we need starters and depth everywhere. Since this team is exploring a lot of options even though the were saying Lamar would have imput it seems like dependant on the scheme they decide to roll with may give a slight indication of their plans fr example if they hire someone who is known to like to pass 30-40 times a game that wouldn't fit Lamars skillset since he is better in a PA type scheme (my opinion) so this may lean towards trading Lamar away.

19 minutes ago, Falconof Shadows said:

I didn't think this needed it's own thread and am curious and maybe this gets lost in here but, does anyone think that the OC search for the Ravens may give a tell on their plans on what to do with Lamar? Now I'm not part if the Falcon fans contingency that wants Lamar as I want the tea to build itself back up and we need starters and depth everywhere. Since this team is exploring a lot of options even though the were saying Lamar would have imput it seems like dependant on the scheme they decide to roll with may give a slight indication of their plans fr example if they hire someone who is known to like to pass 30-40 times a game that wouldn't fit Lamars skillset since he is better in a PA type scheme (my opinion) so this may lean towards trading Lamar away.

They moved on from Greg Roman because they wanted someone that would implement a more diverse passing attack. I'm assuming they'll hire an OC fairly soon while the Lamar situation could drag on for a while. So no I don't think they'll signal their plans with their OC hire. But it does sound like the possibility he gets traded gets bigger and bigger every day.