2023 NFL coaching rumors and notes

Forge

1 hour ago, Forge said:

He gone

He could be but then unlike his peers he doesn't stand in the way of people bettering themselves, only blocked one guy moving once out of all the coaches he's lost. IMO that would be the most tiring thing for him he has to replace a lot of coaches every year.

17 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

He could be but then unlike his peers he doesn't stand in the way of people bettering themselves, only blocked one guy moving once out of all the coaches he's lost. IMO that would be the most tiring thing for him he has to replace a lot of coaches every year.

Since the rule change, you can't block promotions (which now includes positional coaches to coordinators) and seldom do you see lateral moves unless the staff is splintering due to a head coaching hire. Nobody really blocks anyone any more it seems like, though it's not always broadcast when they do. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

I like Caserio - I really do - but sometimes, you just have to wipe the slate clean. 

Caserio is a product of Jack Easterby, who himself is a product of Bill O’Brien - so have you really wiped the BoB era clean with this twice removed member of the era still around?

If you’re going to do it, go all out. Clean cap, war chest of picks, QBOTF likely available at 2 - start something new instead of building on a broken foundation, yknow?

Fair enough! Wasn’t calling you out, just thought I remembered you saying you were cool with him doing things after the solid draft. 

Cleaning yourself of former Pats coaches/FO guys is never, NEVER a bad thing…

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

Thoughts on him Giants fans?

He'll be a head coach one day for sure, but I doubt it will be this year. That said, it is a very good decision to interview him, mainly because he is obviously a very creative and smart guy, and it is always good to talk to people like that. He's a good play caller, he takes input from the players, he's creative in the red zone, and he is very good at making adjustments, both in game and week-to-week. Look at the Giants personnel groupings throughout the season; it's pretty cool. We were running tons of 12 and even a bit of 22 for a while until we found 3 quality receivers, then we switched almost exclusively to 11. Teams adapted to us running out of heavy with Saquon, where we had our lull and losing streak, then we adapted to get back to winning. The biggest plus about him though is what these NFL teams like about him, which is that the Giants offense is so different from what they had in Kansas City, and even with the lower quality personnel, they are succeeding (I think 16th in PPG?). The flexibility and willing to take on new challenges in different ways is encouraging. 

The negatives are that we still have Dabs, a very accomplished and experienced offensive mind, as head coach so it is hard to tell how much is Kafka and how much is Dabs. This is also his first year calling plays at any level, and there have been a few games where the playcalls and gameplan were just dumb (Seahawks and Texans games come to mind. Granted, those are outliers; overall, the gameplanning and play calling has been pretty good throughout the season).

I'd hate to lose him, but I'd hate to lose Wink more. If Kafka does get hired as a head coach this cycle (I doubt he does; I think Ben Johnson, Shane Steichen, Shane Waldron, and Sean Payton are more desirable offensive minded candidates), you'll probably see QBs coach Shea Tierney get promoted to OC and QB Davis Webb retire to become the new QBs coach.

EDIT: My personal opinion, he's the 5th best offensive minded head coaching candidate this cycle after Payton, Ben Johnson, Frank Reich, and Shane Waldron, in that order. I'd have him 8th overall, behind those guys plus Jim Harbaugh, Demeco Ryans, and Dan Quinn.

Edited by minutemancl
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

He'll be a head coach one day for sure, but I doubt it will be this year. That said, it is a very good decision to interview him, mainly because he is obviously a very creative and smart guy, and it is always good to talk to people like that. He's a good play caller, he takes input from the players, he's creative in the red zone, and he is very good at making adjustments, both in game and week-to-week. Look at the Giants personnel groupings throughout the season; it's pretty cool. We were running tons of 12 and even a bit of 22 for a while until we found 3 quality receivers, then we switched almost exclusively to 11. Teams adapted to us running out of heavy with Saquon, where we had our lull and losing streak, then we adapted to get back to winning. The biggest plus about him though is what these NFL teams like about him, which is that the Giants offense is so different from what they had in Kansas City, and even with the lower quality personnel, they are succeeding (I think 16th in PPG?). The flexibility and willing to take on new challenges in different ways is encouraging. 

The negatives are that we still have Dabs, a very accomplished and experienced offensive mind, as head coach so it is hard to tell how much is Kafka and how much is Dabs. This is also his first year calling plays at any level, and there have been a few games where the playcalls and gameplan were just dumb (Seahawks and Texans games come to mind. Granted, those are outliers; overall, the gameplanning and play calling has been pretty good throughout the season).

I'd hate to lose him, but I'd hate to lose Wink more. If Kafka does get hired as a head coach this cycle (I doubt he does; I think Ben Johnson, Shane Steichen, Shane Waldron, and Sean Payton are more desirable offensive minded candidates), you'll probably see QBs coach Shea Tierney get promoted to OC and QB Davis Webb retire to become the new QBs coach.

EDIT: My personal opinion, he's the 5th best offensive minded head coaching candidate this cycle after Payton, Ben Johnson, Frank Reich, and Shane Waldron, in that order. I'd have him 8th overall, behind those guys plus Jim Harbaugh, Demeco Ryans, and Dan Quinn.

Thank you sir. 

10 hours ago, Rrrrrrrams said:

yeah, mcavy is gone.

...for one season.

and i would think raheem morris as the hc makes even more sense now.

Not to give you heartburn, but… didn’t Bill Cowher say something similar back when he walked away in the mid 00s?

After a while.. waking up late and getting your morning coffee while doing minor show prep for ESPN/NFLN, then playing golf after a few hours on camera gets pretty comfy. Spending more quality time with his incredibly beautiful supermodel wife is also an added bonus.

Man, are the Niners going to be able to keep Ryans for another year? That would be sweet.

It seems like all of the coaching rumors are about other guys. Ryans absolutely deserves it and would be a great leader of an entire team. But boy, if the Niners get to bring him back, that would be epic.

Edited by NinerNation21
  • Like 2