2023 NFL coaching rumors and notes

Forge

Does Greg Schiano count as a college coach to NFL? I didn't realize he did 3 years of DBs for the Bears before NCAA, but he went Rutgers to Tampa. Lane Kiffin for the Raiders would too if Schiano does, though his dad Monte was the Buccs DC for forever.

1 hour ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

100% Being a modern NFL head coach is a grueling, all-in, grind of a job. The biggest issue with the McCown and Saturday candidacies wasn't the lack of experience IMO (though that was close), its that they weren't doing any serious coaching in the interim (Saturday was of a nothingburger uncompetitive high school). McCown literally was just chillin' doing nothing. I can't imagine anyone willing to live that much of a laid back life style for several years has the hustle sigma grindset that being a HC entails. At least McCown is now finally giving it a token effort.

McCown coached a nothing high school when he was around playing with the Bears if I remember right like he coached on his year of being unemployed

Edited by Trojan

7 minutes ago, Trojan said:

McCown coached a nothing high school when he was around playing with the Bears if I remember right like he coached on his year of being unemployed

I didn't know that (totally fair) but my broader point stands that you need a certain obsession with football to be a successful head coach. Sean Payton took the Broncos job in part because he couldn't sit on his hands for one more year (the $$$ certainly helped). McCarthy only made it one offseason. Reich only had a few months off. McVay seems to have an existential crisis every season but keeps coming back etc...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

I didn't know that (totally fair) but my broader point stands that you need a certain obsession with football to be a successful head coach. Sean Payton took the Broncos job in part because he couldn't sit on his hands for one more year (the $$$ certainly helped). McCarthy only made it one offseason. Reich only had a few months off. McVay seems to have an existential crisis every season but keeps coming back etc...

I went to his wiki just now, looks like he's coached HS every time he's had time:

As a player:
 * Offseason and/or practice squad member only
As a coach:
  • Marvin Ridge High School (2010-2012)
  • Myers Park High School (2019)
  • Rusk High School (2021-2022)
  • Carolina Panthers (2023–present)
    Quarterbacks Coach

"McCown [wa]s an assistant coach at Myers Park High School in Charlotte where his sons play[ed]. With his 2019 return to the NFL, the Eagles allowed him to fly to Charlotte on Mondays for high school practice and game planning, and then again on Fridays for game days.[300]"

Edited by Trojan

8 hours ago, Trojan said:

I went to his wiki just now, looks like he's coached HS every time he's had time:

As a player:
 * Offseason and/or practice squad member only
As a coach:
  • Marvin Ridge High School (2010-2012)
  • Myers Park High School (2019)
  • Rusk High School (2021-2022)
  • Carolina Panthers (2023–present)
    Quarterbacks Coach

"McCown [wa]s an assistant coach at Myers Park High School in Charlotte where his sons play[ed]. With his 2019 return to the NFL, the Eagles allowed him to fly to Charlotte on Mondays for high school practice and game planning, and then again on Fridays for game days.[300]"

Thats actually interesting. Now I can redact that criticism of him and return to his flagrant lack of high level coaching experience. I'm glad he's onto the path of getting it, sounds like he may get that coaching gig eventually.

41 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

I just found out a few weeks ago that this is the same Thomas Brown that played on that UGA team with Matt Stafford, Knowshon Moreno and Mohamed Massaquoi. 

I don’t know whether I love or hate that I remember the playing career of all these up and coming coaches.

16 hours ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

Andy Reid had a son die of a drug overdose, but chose to immediately get back into the game.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TitanSlim said:

I don’t know whether I love or hate that I remember the playing career of all these up and coming coaches.

If you want me to make you feel younger, the first NFL draft I watched was when Troy Aikman, Derrick Thomas and Barry and Deion Sanders were drafted. All in the Hall of Fame for a decade plus.