2023 NFL coaching rumors and notes

Forge

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

It doesn’t make a ton of sense to wait if it was going to be Anarumo. I’m surprised that they want a defensive minded head coach though. 

I’m not; I’ve seen their defense. Maybe the thinking is that with Kyler missing most or all of the year, they’d rather have a guy in the big chair who can get the defense in shape over a two year period rather than a guy who’d likely be running a makeshift offense and then a completely different one the next year when Kyler comes back.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, notthatbluestuff said:

I’m not; I’ve seen their defense. Maybe the thinking is that with Kyler missing most or all of the year, they’d rather have a guy in the big chair who can get the defense in shape over a two year period rather than a guy who’d likely be running a makeshift offense and then a completely different one the next year when Kyler comes back.

Murray had surgery in January so he should be ready to go by September, not sure why he’d miss most or potentially all of next season. And your head coaching hire shouldn’t be about trying to salvage a couple of games while your franchise player is potentially out. I think it should be about finding the guy that can get the most out of Kyler considering they just gave him $230M and are stuck with him for at least the next 3, probably 4 seasons. 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Murray had surgery in January so he should be ready to go by September, not sure why he’d miss most or potentially all of next season. And your head coaching hire shouldn’t be about trying to salvage a couple of games while your franchise player is potentially out. I think it should be about finding the guy that can get the most out of Kyler considering they just gave him $230M and are stuck with him for at least the next 3, probably 4 seasons. 

Sure, but Anarumo’s choice of OC could in theory get the most out of Kyler too. And it’s not about “salvaging a few games,” it’s about fixing a bad defense. If they think Anarumo can do that, they’d have to make him HC.

27 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

That and if Kyler is really as 'free-spirited' as a QB as he's often portrayed, it maybe harder to take advantage of offensive design and better to try to build a great defense with a good enough but volatile offense.

43 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Anarumo seems like the better choice. The Bengals defense is good but not great from a talent perspective but he still has found ways to slow down guys like Allen, Mahomes, etc. Their success seems more so based on him getting the most out of their personnel rather than just being overwhelmingly talented. The Eagles defense was stacked but got exposed when it mattered most due to poor coaching. 

I agree with most of this, but to be fair, he looks for specific players for specific roles.  His defense was atrocious the first year plus as he flipped the roster.  So it isn't likely he would turn the defense around for at least a year or two.  

21 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Sure, but Anarumo’s choice of OC could in theory get the most out of Kyler too. And it’s not about “salvaging a few games,” it’s about fixing a bad defense. If they think Anarumo can do that, they’d have to make him HC.

I get that way of thinking but I also think the new regime will be judged pretty heavily on Kyler’s performance. 

39 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Who else said this? It says McCoy isn’t the first, but I can’t immediately recall anyone else.

If there’s truth to this, it makes a lot of sense. 

This guy agreed and was apparently under Bienemy in Minny in 2010? Haven't heard much outside of these guys but would certainly explain his alleged bombing of interviews year after year...maybe former players have some strong opinions about him behind closed doors. All speculation at this point obviously

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

I agree with most of this, but to be fair, he looks for specific players for specific roles.  His defense was atrocious the first year plus as he flipped the roster.  So it isn't likely he would turn the defense around for at least a year or two.  

I think it’s important that he at least has a scheme that has shown to be effective against the best teams in the league and he knows the personnel he needs to execute it. I think the turn around time to find the guys he needs for his scheme is much faster and more realistic than the Cardinals ever having a defense with a talent level even similar to what the Eagles had this year.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

That and if Kyler is really as 'free-spirited' as a QB as he's often portrayed, it maybe harder to take advantage of offensive design and better to try to build a great defense with a good enough but volatile offense.

When you have a QB taking up more than 25% of your cap for the foreseeable future you can’t just hope and pray, you have to try whatever you can to make it work.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Considering how much they just invested into Kyler I just assumed that they’d double down with an offensive coach like the Broncos did with Sean Payton. 

I think a lot of the problem has been the GM hire and that guy getting up to speed with candidates who were already getting hired elsewhere.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

If it’s Gannon, then the Cardinals will be giving a job to a guy whose own team decided to pay Vic Fangio to install a defensive game plan for the Super Bowl. He’s also the DC who has struggled to make adjustments all season long and did again on Sunday. That’s opposed to the DC with the Bengals who actually gave that KC offense problems two seasons in a row, making key half time adjustments in both games.

My bad, sounds like Fangio was hired to help the offense exploit KC’s D. Still the point remains, Gannon has faced criticism for his in game adjustments - something Anorumo has received praise for.

• Like 1