2023 NFL coaching rumors and notes

Forge

10 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

I understand why he would do this to branch away from Reid or whatever, but it's really a bs narrative imo.

Teams want to hire guys underneath prolific coaches. I don't buy the idea that he is getting passed over because of lack of demonstrated success.

I am like 99.5% convinced he's just a terrible interview, which won't change even with a successful Commanders campaign.

6 minutes ago, Soggust said:

I understand why he would do this to branch away from Reid or whatever, but it's really a bs narrative imo.

Teams want to hire guys underneath prolific coaches. I don't buy the idea that he is getting passed over because of lack of demonstrated success.

I am like 99.5% convinced he's just a terrible interview, which won't change even with a successful Commanders campaign.

If he's such a terrible interview, presumably that would also be the case with Washington? 

16 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

If he's such a terrible interview, presumably that would also be the case with Washington? 

That's a good point, but I guess I'm assuming the interview qualifications for HC are more than OC?

Otherwise, I don't understand. 

-----

It doesn't make sense to me that it's racial, given that Demeco Ryans was the hottest name on the market this year.

It doesn't make sense to me that it's schematic, given that EB has called plays for years now and far less qualified schematic dudes have gotten HC jobs.

It doesn't make sense to me it's about Colorado, given that happened 20 years ago and the league has demonstrated repeatedly that results are more important than morals. 

-----

Occam's Razor for me here is that the dude is just not super likeable.

• Like 7

29 minutes ago, Soggust said:

That's a good point, but I guess I'm assuming the interview qualifications for HC are more than OC?

Otherwise, I don't understand. 

-----

-----

Occam's Razor for me here is that the dude is just not super likeable.

Agreed. He's also had a bigger media push than most HC candidates and we know people often get hired off of media hype as well. Too many things just lead to the personality conflicts.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Soggust said:

He might be a terrible interview and that won't change. But if he can prove he can lead an offense to success with a defense HC and no QB, then his interview skills won't matter much. I understand the move on his end.

1 hour ago, DawgX said:

Carolina putting together a nice staff.

Yeah - that’s a very nice group over there. They have pieces on defense and assets to get the right parts on offense. This could be a very quick turnaround in a very poor division.

• Like 3