2023 NFL coaching rumors and notes

Forge

2 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

Any chance that McVay is just following Sean Payton’s lead? Treat your job like the stock market and sell before the bottom falls out. Take a different job for a year or two and allow your stock marinate in the minds of desperate NFL GMs that remember you in the good times. 

I think there is an aspect of actual burnout/outside stressors that factors into McVay’s situation. Loss of a close family member will do that to even the toughest people, and I don't even know how you attempt to console a wife who is watching her country in the middle of a war on their own soil - that's got to be really scary for her (with her family over there) and that's not something he can just wave away with a Berkin bag and a G-Wagon, y'know? He's got to be attentive to her emotional state right now as long as that conflict is going on. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Forge said:

Since the rule change, you can't block promotions (which now includes positional coaches to coordinators) and seldom do you see lateral moves unless the staff is splintering due to a head coaching hire. Nobody really blocks anyone any more it seems like, though it's not always broadcast when they do. 

Very true, just saying this isn’t out of character for him. There is also talk that he wants to replace some of them and he’s encouraging them to find something else. Not sure that is because he doesn’t want to fire them or what but I’d prefer he just make the changes.

A lot of us are hoping he’ll bring in an actual OC and give up play calling.  Go to more of an administrative role and work with position coaches. It’s got to be exhausting replacing as many coaches as he does every year though.

5 hours ago, NinerNation21 said:

Man, are the Niners going to be able to keep Ryans for another year? That would be sweet.

It seems like all of the coaching rumors are about other guys. Ryans absolutely deserves it and would be a great leader of an entire team. But boy, if the Niners get to bring him back, that would be epic.

I read that he's going to be very selective about the job he takes so I wouldn't be surprised to see him back in San Francisco next year. The Texans could be appealing considering his ties to the organization and the fact that they're likely going to add a franchise QB. But after firing coaches in back to back offseasons, I wonder if he'd want to walk into somewhat of an unstable situation.

On 1/9/2023 at 1:27 PM, ET80 said:

Texans are looking to go young this time...

Have we confirmed that Taylor Heineke is, in fact, not the little kid from the Cam Play 60 TV ad, except all grown up?  Because, if so, that kid (whoever he is) has to be the odds-on favorite, right?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Forge said:

He's been the next "Reid tree" candidate that should be getting looks (and is more likely to succeed than others) in my estimation.  Stronger case, if we dive a little deeper than the superficial, than Bienemy for likelihood of sticking.

16 hours ago, Rrrrrrrams said:

yeah, mcavy is gone.

...for one season.

and i would think raheem morris as the hc makes even more sense now.

Honestly, I think it may depend on whether Raheem is actually brought in for a 2nd interview with another team for their HC position, as to whether he'd be offered an interim position with the Rams.  McVay and the organization aren't going to stand in his way of getting another bite at the Big Daddy apple to only, potentially, have him be a 1-2 year fill.  If he's interviewed but doesn't get any offers, he's the likely promotion.  If he gets tangible offers, my feeling is they may actually elevate Jay Gruden to that interim HC position (he's on staff as a senior offensive consultant currently), with he and McVay effectively switching spots temporarily.

Just now, Texansfan713 said:

Texans requesting permission to interview with the Sean Payton. 

So this was that Week 18 strategy?  Couldn't, in good conscience give the Saints the #1 overall, but get that one extra win and, well, the #2 is an entirely different proposition...

3 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

Texans requesting permission to interview with the Sean Payton. 

Oooooh, not a fan. He’s going to want GM duties. I’m okay with Caserio getting fired, but only for a GM - nobody gets to hold two jobs anymore.

4 minutes ago, Dr LBC said:

Honestly, I think it may depend on whether Raheem is actually brought in for a 2nd interview with another team for their HC position, as to whether he'd be offered an interim position with the Rams.  McVay and the organization aren't going to stand in his way of getting another bite at the Big Daddy apple to only, potentially, have him be a 1-2 year fill.  If he's interviewed but doesn't get any offers, he's the likely promotion.  If he gets tangible offers, my feeling is they may actually elevate Jay Gruden to that interim HC position (he's on staff as a senior offensive consultant currently), with he and McVay effectively switching spots temporarily.

Seems like it would make more sense to elevate somebody like Thomas Brown in that scenario. It would give Brown a chance to prove to other organizations that he can run a team.

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Oooooh, not a fan. He’s going to want GM duties. I’m okay with Caserio getting fired, but only for a GM - nobody gets to hold two jobs anymore.

I'm sure he'll hire an executive that hes worked with in the past to be his GM. 

I'm guessing Mickey Loomis won't leave New Orleans, but maybe Jeff Ireland? Saints have had some great draft classes before, especially 2017; i think Ireland was responsible for that?

Edited by 49ersfan

Just now, 49ersfan said:

I'm sure he'll hire an executive that hes worked with in the past to be his GM. 

I'm guessing Mickey Loomis is set, but maybe Jeff Ireland? Saints have had some great draft classes before, especially 2017; i think Ireland was responsible for that?

If that’s the case, sure. There has to be a division of power, I am too scarred from when Bill O’Brien was HC and GM.

11 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Seems like it would make more sense to elevate somebody like Thomas Brown in that scenario. It would give Brown a chance to prove to other organizations that he can run a team.

My feeling is that Brown likely still ends up elevated, but the organization isn't going to just throw him in the deep end; likely Gruden as a caretaker HC, Brown as the OC, and they'd go out and bring in a new DC (with Morris being hired away as an HC in this example), since I'm not sure we really have a viable internal candidate.

38 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Payton was essential GM 1c with Mickey Loomis and Jeff Ireland. He had a huge say in personnel, but he let Mickey handle money and Ireland oversee the scouting. I’m sure he’d consider something similar wherever he goes.