Titans OC Search 2023

KingTitan

2 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

I like Kelly and would be fine with him being OC, but if I'm Vrabel I send a feeler out to Gary Kubiak and see if he's interested in coming back to coaching. He's "retired", but he's been retired before and made his way back. Vrabel likes the run heavy offense and that's fine, so getting a guy like a Kubiak or another Shanahan disciple would be nice.

I have no idea what kind of play caller he'd be, but a name I'd look in to as well is Dwayne Ledford. He's Atlanta's Oline coach and has done an incredible job coaching them up this year. Falls under that Shanahan tree by virtue of coaching under Art. He does have some technical OC experience as he was Louisville's offensive coordinator in 19 and 20 and co-OC of Appalachin State in 13, 14 and 15 but that was under Scott Satterfield(both Louisville and App State) who is an offensive guy/has his own offensive system.

Just an under the radar potential option to look in to if we want to stick with the Shanahan line/Arthur Smith style of play calling, and can also potentially help knock out some of the OL issues.

Now I do like the idea but I feel at this point we can’t afford to take chances on none experience play callers 

23 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

I would like to formally take back my support of BoB.
Something about him is toxic. Seems to have some bad mojo wherever he goes. 

He is a major goober

not saying this to defend him … and I’m not gonna act like I know a lot about Bama…but he was able to coexist with an ego maniac like Saban, so seems to be able to keep his head down and work

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

He is a major goober

not saying this to defend him … and I’m not gonna act like I know a lot about Bama…but he was able to coexist with an ego maniac like Saban, so seems to be able to keep his head down and work

Yeah and I thought about the good stuff he has done. 
However, I don't know if this was a Texans thing or a BoB thing. I feel like people hated being there. Cunningham, Hopkins to name two. ( which I know isn't a lot lol.)

But just feels like that and then I think he had some sanctions at Penn State. Alabama fans can't seem to wait for him to leave. 

I know he brought Vrabel in, but does that mean they had a good relationship and will he stay in his lane?
If it happens I won't hate it, but I'm not rooting for it. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

I'm warming up to the idea of Kliff Kingsbury. He does have a Vrabel connection and someone with such a different background might be just what we need to get away from the old school approach to offense. 

would be absolutely shocked if Kliff doesn't go back to college as HC, but would roll out the red carpet for him

I don't think KK is an NFL head coach. I think he'd succeed as an OC.

I’d love Kliff but i feel like he’ll go back to being a college HC tho.. but if he wants to be an OC give him whatever he wants and let him have full control of the offense 

I wouldn’t mind Jay Gruden either, I honestly forgot all about him lol

Edited by 615finest

47 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

I'm warming up to the idea of Kliff Kingsbury. He does have a Vrabel connection and someone with such a different background might be just what we need to get away from the old school approach to offense. 

I'd be very happy with Kliff.  Willing to shake up an offense, worked with a short, dual threat QB already and got some good out of him, and innovative on offense.

I very much doubt he's a realistic choice though.  Head coaching at a major program is likely on the table for him if he sits out a cycle.  Or hell, Oklahoma might hire him now.

If we keep Tannehill I’d be on board with Kelly for the sole reason that we will know pretty instantly if he’s good or not. We know what Ryan can do and what he’s good at. If Kelly can recognize that and make the offense run how it’s supposed to with Tannehill then he’s probably at least as good as Arthur Smith. 

Edited by Mesa_Titan

7 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

I have no idea what kind of play caller he'd be, but a name I'd look in to as well is Dwayne Ledford. He's Atlanta's Oline coach and has done an incredible job coaching them up this year. Falls under that Shanahan tree by virtue of coaching under Art. He does have some technical OC experience as he was Louisville's offensive coordinator in 19 and 20 and co-OC of Appalachin State in 13, 14 and 15 but that was under Scott Satterfield(both Louisville and App State) who is an offensive guy/has his own offensive system.

now that’s an interesting name. satterfield is a brilliant offensive mind who runs a wide open spread attack. it’d be intriguing to see if ledford would marry any of those concepts to the standard wide zone stuff.

one sort of interesting thing that some of the broadway sports guys were speculating about was whether the firing of keith carter could possibly signal an openness to move to a different type of offense. carter is a shanahan/wide zone disciple through and through, but in past OC searches we’ve seen vrabel look into guys like ryan day and tony elliott who are college power spread types. total speculation, but i think there’s a possibility we do see some under the radar names pop up from that type of lineage.

• Like 2

1000% want an outside hire...an inside hire(TK) will wreak of Vrab's not wanting to wonder too far from where we are. So schemes are the same and just hope for a better feel for the game flow??? No guarantees with an outside hire we become a top offense, but god forbid we struggle again next year with an internal hire...we would all be calling for Vrabel's head. 

this is crazy lol, zach wilson cost this dude his job. we should give him a look even if we hire kelly- if he doesn't get an OC job here or elsewhere i'd definitely bring him in to help out with the passing game

EDIT: welp maybe not lol

Edited by -Hope-