Free Agency

Louis Friend

Just now, Just Want A Title said:

What we saw was a version of Jameson Williams, who has tremendous speed and under-rated elusiveness, play limited snaps a run a limited route-tree.  We have not seen an offense with with Jameson Williams fulling integrated with a high level of understanding.  He hasn't had a 100-yard receiving game yet.  He hasn't had a multiple TD game yet.  He hasn't had a game with more than one reception.  The Lions shouldn't hand him the WR#1 job until he earns it on the field.  I hate to say this but what happens if he is to the Lions what Jerry Jeudy has been to the Broncos?

Are you giving 15 mil to Chark for multiple years? 

1 minute ago, General Tso said:

Are you giving 15 mil to Chark for multiple years? 

That isn't the question.  The question is would another team that he doesn't know give him that amount of money for roughly a half season of solid play.  He already has a cap hit for the Lions in 2023 and 2024 due to the structure of his one-year deal.  If both sides can agree to a new two-year contract that seems like a smart move.

https://overthecap.com/player/d-j-chark/6946

1 hour ago, General Tso said:

I think we should let Chark go. Not because I dislike him, but Jamo makes him expendable and he's going to want the bag but we have other needs.

I don't know if I'd say Jamo makes him expendable. Jamo is unproven and I feel that we need to have a 3 headed horse at WR between ARSB, Jamo and someone else. Whether that's Chark, a rookie or another FA. When ARSB gets erased, the offense takes a nosedive. 

I'd like to see a bigger body guy that can compliment ARSB/Jamo. 

1 minute ago, Just Want A Title said:

That isn't the question.  The question is would another team that he doesn't know give him that amount of money for roughly a half season of solid play.  He already has a cap hit for the Lions in 2023 and 2024 due to the structure of his one-year deal.  If both sides can agree to a new two-year contract that seems like a smart move.

I feel confident in saying yes. Would love to be proven wrong, but the receiver FA class is pretty bad and Chark is a top option.

Again, I would love to have him on the team.. just think he's not my first priority when it comes to the cap space.

1 hour ago, General Tso said:

I feel confident in saying yes. Would love to be proven wrong, but the receiver FA class is pretty bad and Chark is a top option.

Again, I would love to have him on the team.. just think he's not my first priority when it comes to the cap space.

I would agree with this to some extent.  There are some discounted guys like Paris Campbell, Mack Hollins, Deandre Carter, Darius Slayton etc that could fill in that role fine and a lot cheaper.  We also could draft another if we fill other holes in free agency. 

That being said, I don't think Chark is likely to get 15M. Given his injury history and limited production but as you said, the WR market is very thin this year so who knows.  Last year the market was thin and Kirk got paid, but also proved to be worth being paid as a WR1.  Allen Robinson got 15M per year and I don't think that Chark is close to that level.  The next two highest contracts last year were MVS and Gage both signed for 3 years 30M and both had similar history to Chark before that and neither are worth the contract.  Add in another year of injuries and only 30 catches and I dont think Chark's value went up based on his production this year.  So although the elites like Adams and Hill got paid, the market for solid #2 WRs didn't inflate.  So if we can keep Chark for a 2 or 3 year, 7-9M per year deal I would do it.  That gets him off the books by the time ARSB and Jamo need contracts.    

1 hour ago, Just Want A Title said:

I don't think he has any hit to 2024.  The dead money in 2024 would have been if we cut him this year and his contract would have been extended throughout the contract, but also would have reduced next years hit. Once the contract voids, the total amount will be moved to 2023.  The two voidable years is to reduce the current year cap hit more but it all is prorated in a voided year similarly to cutting a player.   

2 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I don't think he has any hit to 2024.  The dead money in 2024 would have been if we cut him this year and his contract would have been extended throughout the contract, but also would have reduced next years hit. Once the contract voids, the total amount will be moved to 2023.  The two voidable years is to reduce the current year cap hit more but it all is prorated in a voided year similarly to cutting a player.   

According to the link below he has a cap hit of just under $3 million in 2024:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/detroit-lions/dj-chark-25160/#:~:text=Current Contract,dead cap value of %245%2C976%2C668.

13 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

According to the link below he has a cap hit of just under $3 million in 2024:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/detroit-lions/dj-chark-25160/#:~:text=Current Contract,dead cap value of %245%2C976%2C668.

Notice that 2024 is in a different font.  It is structured so they can stretch the bonus out longer.  If it was one voidable year, then the signing bonus of 8,965,000 would be stretched over two years ($4,482,500 per year), meaning the current year (2022) hit would have been 1,494,167 higher.  Since its two voidable years, they reduced the cap further in 2022.  However, once the contract is voided, it is like any other contract ending early and bonus money is accelerated into the league year the player is cut.  Thats why there is a cap hit of $5,976,668 next year, which combined with our current cap hit of 4,023,333 would equal the 1 year 10M contract he signed.  They show it on Sportrac the way the contract is written, to show how the current cap number was generated but next year is in bold given that is what will happen and 2024 will go away. 

https://www.hogshaven.com/2021/4/12/22379019/how-do-voidable-year-contracts-work-and-why-has-the-nfl-embraced-them-this-year

8 hours ago, rob_shadows said:

My free agent wet dream would be Da'Ron Payne but I highly doubt Washington actually lets him hit the market, I imagine he'll be franchised.

If by some miracle he does hit the market I'd have no problem at all with the Lions throwing 20m a year at him.

What do you see in Payne that makes him your #1 target?

6 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

What do you see in Payne that makes him your #1 target?

11.5 sacks from the DT position and I believe he also led the league in tackles for loss (among DTs) 

Add him, draft Murphy or Wilson at 6 and suddenly the d line is looking very good.

Edited by rob_shadows

20 hours ago, rob_shadows said:

11.5 sacks from the DT position and I believe he also led the league in tackles for loss (among DTs) 

Add him, draft Murphy or Wilson at 6 and suddenly the d line is looking very good.

I saw David Onyemata's name pop up in an article for another team.  He would be a really good depth signing.  He isn't flashy but he is very consistent.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/O/OnyeDa00.htm

• 4 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

I was watching GMFB this morning and they were discussing the Bills free agents. They think Edmunds and Poyer could be out in Buffalo due to cap space. I would love to get Edmunds here. Not sure what a good contract for him would be though. 

He is the #1 free agent LB and would provide a huge boost to the second level of our defense.  Cutting Michael Brockers, Haloulivaati Vaitai, Charles Harris and Quintez Cephus would more then cover his addition to the roister without taking away any production.