Free Agency

Louis Friend

14 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I'd disagree for this past year but you could be right moving forward. 

We'd have been in the playoffs 110% if we beat the Eagles week 1, Campbell didn't goof up against Minnesota and/or we had the 31st ranked defense instead of the 32nd against Seattle. 

Don't get me wrong.  The Lions at the end of the year were a better team than the Giants, Seahawks or the Buccaneers.  Were they on the level of the Eagles or Chiefs?  Probably not.  Our defense would have had problems keeping Cee Dee Lamb and Dalton Schultz contained despite not having to worry about Tony Pollard because of his injury.

From where I am sitting, Brad Holmes and Dan Campbell want to build a roster that has 3-4 year Super Bowl window.  They are probably studying teams like the Eagles, Chiefs, and 49rs and figuring out how to create the right mix of talent to become a truly great team rather than a one-and-done playoff team.

The good news is that while the Lions are trending up, the rest of the NFC North is trending down.  The Vikings have some significant salary cap issues.  The Packers have some cap work to do along with having to address their "Aaron Rodgers/QB" issue.  Also, most of the NFC South Teams aren't looking so great for 2023.

Edited by Just Want A Title
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Just Want A Title said:

Don't get me wrong.  The Lions at the end of the year were a better team than the Giants, Seahawks or the Buccaneers.  Were they on the level of the Eagles or Chiefs?  Probably not.  Our defense would have had problems keeping Cee Dee Lamb and Dalton Schultz contained despite not having to worry about Tony Pollard because of his injury.

From where I am sitting, Brad Holmes and Dan Campbell want to build a roster that has 3-4 year Super Bowl window.  They are probably studying teams like the Eagles, Chiefs, and 49rs and figuring out how to create the right mix of talent to become a truly great team rather than a one-and-done playoff team.

Agreed - just the pathway that we would have gone had we won the division or even if we made it over the Seahawks. 

• Wildcard: SF
  • Division: Philly

12 minutes ago, General Tso said:

Robert Woods just got released. Holmes is familiar with him from LA and I expect us to lose Chark, so maybe we should go for him for cheap? He's a good blocker, veteran WR and we're going to need some depth.

He would play a very different role than Chark, but he would be worth a look for sure. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Lions017 said:

He would play a very different role than Chark, but he would be worth a look for sure. 

Agreed.  I think Jamo will take over the Chark role so we don't need the exact same thing.  Wood would be competing with Reynolds more for snaps and role IMO.  If cheap enough, I am all for it since its not a long term cap hit but also at the same time would probably rather have a young guy with some upside.  Having Reynolds and Raymond as 4/5 WRs is solid but we know we arent getting anything exciting from them and Wood would be similar.  

5 hours ago, General Tso said:

Robert Woods just got released. Holmes is familiar with him from LA and I expect us to lose Chark, so maybe we should go for him for cheap? He's a good blocker, veteran WR and we're going to need some depth.

Robert Woods seems like more of a possession receiver at this point.  He runs really good routes but he has problems getting separation.

1 minute ago, Karnage84 said:

I don't know why we're getting grouped in as a team to sign Saquon Barkley. If we really wanted to go that route we should just draft Bijan. Spending huge money on a RB in their second contract never works out. 

I would have no issues with taking Bijan Robinson at #18 or a little later if we trade back from that slot.  He would make our offense really hard to defend.

• Like 1

Bobby Wagner was just released by the Rams. 

Wagner or David are intriguing FA options for us at ILB. Both are playing at an elite level despite their age. As a team that is on the up, these could be appealing targets for us and for them as guys who want to win. 

Edited by Karnage84
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, HashtagFTW said:

Wagner is at the point where every year is going to be worse than the last. And considering he's his own agent, I'm not sure he's worth the cost. 

He had a 90 pff grade and was elite in nearly all facets. If you can get him or Lavonte for around $10M, it's been a good day.