Mock Offseason 1-10-2023 - The Washington Whatevers

MKnight82

Really nice job on this even if it isn't the route I'd go.

Also I think Heinicke ends up in GB backing up Love next season,Ron going to get him a Vet QB for his final hoorah he isn't going to trust Howell, no matter how much we want him too, with his coaching career in the balance under a new Owner

INCREDIBLE analysis!

Without taking a deeper dive into all of the free agents, and draft picks, you selected I'll just simply say that I agree with your philosophy. If we don't net 3+ offensive linemen, via free agency or the draft, I'll pull my hair out. Especially since our GM apparently still thinks its 1984 and the ground and pound is the way to win...? 

I see you that Taylor is really a 1 year; $8M contract with an option to cut in out years. Emotionally, I'm done with the Taylor Heinickie hype train. Too many fan boys and girls. And he's essentially the Commanders' version of a retread at this point. I'd rather cut him loose and sign a veteran that is all about teaching, preparing, and can step in under center in a pinch. Beyond that, I'm running Sam Howell out day 1 getting first team reps. Your mid-round QB is a nice snag. I love the speed he could bring to the table. The way defenses rush the ball these days, you almost HAVE to be able to get out of the pocket. There is a rare outlier or two, these days, that stand in the pocket. But again, that's super rare. Your drafted QB is my 2a/2b along with an additional vet QB signing. 

Again, awesome write up!

Edited by Skinsin2013

Not bad at all, a couple things I may change.

OT- Cutting Leno for Dillard looks like a lateral move IMO, it’s hard to rebuild a whole O line. If I was to cut any Olineman it would be roullier who just can’t stay healthy. Or either make him restructure to save money. 

TE- im good with cutting Thomas, but I don’t think Moreau is worth that contract. However I do like Moreau just don’t think he’s a starter. You said he was stuck behind Waller, but Waller was out almost the whole season and it’s not like Moreau was this amazing TE. Especially when Schultz, Gesicki, Engram, and Hurst are FA’s. Depending on how the board plays in the draft Mayer could be the guy we pick. I also like the Georgia TE but don’t know if he would be there in the 2nd

LB- I may be one of the only ones that thinks Holcomb won’t be that expensive, I think maybe 4 mill annually. With that said Deion Jones could be a FA we look at as well. I do like the Jack Campbell pick

QB- I love what you did here, the way Heinicke is structured is perfect, I think Washington is the only team he has the potential to start. I love the Hooker pick. Gives him time to rehab and learn the offense with being behind Howell and Heinicke.

CB- we need to draft a corner in the first 4 rounds. I’m with you that Juste played well but he’s also one who’s been battling injuries the last two years. We need more depth at the CB position, someone that’s ready to start if needed.

Strong work.  Definitely improves some needed areas .

-Do you think Holcomb is really going to cost all that much?  

-I would keep Leno.  8 million for a solid LT is cheap.  

-I would ditch Roullier.  His injuries are too much.  Good chance he will likely never be the same player and we can't risk that again.  We need a legit center.

-Not sure what I think about Slye or Cheesman.  Always problems there.  And we need a return man.  Milne should not be back there.

I kind of want to build around Sam Howell & find & O-Coordinator that specializes in the "Read Option" or RPO type of Offense with a run 1st mentality. (At least that's what Rivera wants)

Using our QB as a weapon to run.

I would look into QB Marcus Mariota, as a vet to bring in for this scheme as a backup.

Then draft a QB with these same traits in the mid, or later rounds.

Go heavy in Free Agency & Draft for O-Lineman.

Same with LBers.

Draft a fast Return man, if there's one in the draft. (Replace Milne)

Look to upgrade Kicker possibly. 

This team is pretty stout. Not as many needs as I'm used to seeing.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Maybe we can combine this thread with 2023 prospects and draft pick threads. 

Nah. It's nice to see other people's takes on the offseason. Easier to tease out who is promoting what. 

@MKnight82 I like most of what you've done here. A few quibbles but I like that you've focused on building the OL. And the Hooker pick is playing with House money

• Like 1

On 1/10/2023 at 10:23 AM, MKnight82 said:

S Jeremy Reaves – no offer – he’s 28, he’s played less than 3% of defensive snaps this season and he’s going to be pushing for over a million a year in cap. We can draft someone cheaper to play ST.

With all the accolades Reaves got this season for ST, no shot they don't bring him back imo

• Like 1

I wouldn't understand moving on from Heinicke personally? He relishes whatever role the team asks him to play. He's a great teammate and he clearly supports Sam Howell. He goes in when called upon and helps the team win games. Make him the back up or spot starter and stop being silly about this. You'll be hardpressed to find a better back up and teammate. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Daboyle said:

With all the accolades Reaves got this season for ST, no shot they don't bring him back imo

Yes he made the PB for ST but he still couldn't get on the field on defense.  His contribution is very limited and he's about to get more expensive. 

8 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I wouldn't understand moving on from Heinicke personally? He relishes whatever role the team asks him to play. He's a great teammate and he clearly supports Sam Howell. He goes in when called upon and helps the team win games. Make him the back up or spot starter and stop being silly about this. You'll be hardpressed to find a better back up and teammate. 

People hating on Heinicke baffles me.  

27 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Yes he made the PB for ST but he still couldn't get on the field on defense.  His contribution is very limited and he's about to get more expensive. 

Deshazor Everett made this team for years playing nothing but special teams. I agree with @Daboyle, I think he's a lock to come back. 

Also it should be noted that he wasn't just the NFC PB ST player, he is the All-Pro NFL ST player, 1st team.

Edited by Slappy Mc