Mock Offseason 1-10-2023 - The Washington Whatevers

MKnight82

30 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I wouldn't understand moving on from Heinicke personally? He relishes whatever role the team asks him to play. He's a great teammate and he clearly supports Sam Howell. He goes in when called upon and helps the team win games. Make him the back up or spot starter and stop being silly about this. You'll be hardpressed to find a better back up and teammate. 

For me it's all about $$. We know what you get from TH. A reliable backup that is loved by his teammates. I absolutely don't believe we should be outbidding anyone for his services. You offer him almost the exact same two year deal he signed a couple years ago. If he doesn't take it, you let him go. I expect him to get some decent offers this off-season. 

Too many needs to squabble about a backup QB financially. 

22 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

You've got to replace him though. With someone competent. We've needed a backup QB EVERY year (two to be honest) since Cousins left. 

Sam Howell. 

Undoubtedly they are going to overspend for a vet QB. They will need to allocate funds there. With Fromm on the P.S. they would have 3. 

I think back-up QB is under control, we need a QB1.

28 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Sam Howell. 

Undoubtedly they are going to overspend for a vet QB. They will need to allocate funds there. With Fromm on the P.S. they would have 3. 

I think back-up QB is under control, we need a QB1.

How are they going to overspend though? There's no owner. Who is going to sign off on what they're spending? 

12 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

How are they going to overspend though? There's no owner. Who is going to sign off on what they're spending? 

The team has a budget based off the salary cap. They will have that regardless of who the owner is. The overspending is based on percentage of cap used for one player. I just think we are looking at them paying a QB 30-40M to play here. 

No trade or deal can be made until the new year starts for the NFL anyway, so expect the sale before then.

2 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

The team has a budget based off the salary cap. They will have that regardless of who the owner is. The overspending is based on percentage of cap used for one player. I just think we are looking at them paying a QB 30-40M to play here. 

No trade or deal can be made until the new year starts for the NFL anyway, so expect the sale before then.

I don’t see them making any big move for a QB with the ownership in limbo.  A new owner is going to want to have say on stuff like that.  Or at least pick the person making that decision. 

5 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I don’t see them making any big move for a QB with the ownership in limbo.  A new owner is going to want to have say on stuff like that.  Or at least pick the person making that decision. 

They already released a statement during a press conference that they have no limitations in their decision-making and will be focusing on the QB position. 

Just like we all expect Ron and his staff to be here for at least a year, they will be able to pick their QB to best showcase to the new owners in an attempt to keep their jobs. 

With how aggressive we were last year on the vets, I already can see Jimmy G being trotted out as their starter.

2 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

They already released a statement during a press conference that they have no limitations in their decision-making and will be focusing on the QB position. 

Just like we all expect Ron and his staff to be here for at least a year, they will be able to pick their QB to best showcase to the new owners in an attempt to keep their jobs. 

With how aggressive we were last year on the vets, I already can see Jimmy G being trotted out as their starter.

Ron is going to go after Carr. I still don’t see how you pull it off without an owner agreeing to pay these contracts? I get that there’s a salary floor that you have to spend but it’s still Dans money. He’s selling so it’s not like they can fine him or penalize him. Unless this ownership deal is expedited I’m expecting no free agency and losing most of the ones we have. I wonder if they can even place the franchise tag without Dan agreeing to it? I just don’t know enough about that side of the business but I do know that’s how we lost Trent Green. Trading for Brad Johnson is also what got Casserly fired because Dan didn’t want it but Charlie did the trade before he took ownership so who knows? Y

44 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Carr has to say yes to us though too, right? I'm sure we're not that high up the list.

I mean, I would assume he’d want to stay close to the West Coast but which team there needs him? So maybe he settles for some place closer like the Texans. If I were him I’d want to go somewhere with weapons and we have plenty and we’re probably in striking distance for Michael Mayer as well. I don’t think it would be hard to convince him to come play with/for Jack Del Rio again either.

Mind you, I would only go down the Derek Carr road if he were cut. I’m not trading assets and honestly I’d prefer not to do it at all but Ron is going to want a vet. Jimmy G is a possibility as well I guess but I don’t think he provides much of anything really. So I see them making a big push for Carr. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I mean, I would assume he’d want to stay close to the West Coast but which team there needs him? So maybe he settles for some place closer like the Texans. If I were him I’d want to go somewhere with weapons and we have plenty and we’re probably in striking distance for Michael Mayer as well. I don’t think it would be hard to convince him to come play with/for Jack Del Rio again either.

Mind you, I would only go down the Derek Carr road if he were cut. I’m not trading assets and honestly I’d prefer not to do it at all but Ron is going to want a vet. Jimmy G is a possibility as well I guess but I don’t think he provides much of anything really. So I see them making a big push for Carr. 

I agree with all your points. Mentally he just went through a lot of chaos. My best guess? Going through Snyder, Ron, change, etc would be at the bottom of his list. I don’t think it’s like last year with a lot of suitors, but maybe the Jets? Giants if they think he’s an upgrade over Jones?, Titans?, Saints? I’d guess those 4 over us on a best guess. 

edit: my point is that I agree with you Ron will try, but Carr would maybe pick those 4 over us first. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

I agree with all your points. Mentally he just went through a lot of chaos. My best guess? Going through Snyder, Ron, change, etc would be at the bottom of his list. I don’t think it’s like last year with a lot of suitors, but maybe the Jets? Giants if they think he’s an upgrade over Jones?, Titans?, Saints? I’d guess those 4 over us on a best guess. 

edit: my point is that I agree with you Ron will try, but Carr would maybe pick those 4 over us first. 

Oh I would think we’re at the bottom of pretty much everyone’s list. The ownership situation is going to really hurt the teams ability to do much of anything this off-season and that’s why I suspect they tag Payne. I can’t imagine Snyder approving a new contract or if he’ll even be around to do so? 

So yeah, I think they’ll make a big push for Carr. I’d have to think he’d veto a trade here but if not I’m terrified of what Rivera would do and give up? Who knows? Maybe Justin Fields becomes an option and he ships Payne plus a couple first round picks their way which would be even worse. Rivera right now is capable of anything because of his uncertain future. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Oh I would think we’re at the bottom of pretty much everyone’s list. The ownership situation is going to really hurt the teams ability to do much of anything this off-season and that’s why I suspect they tag Payne. I can’t imagine Snyder approving a new contract or if he’ll even be around to do so? 

So yeah, I think they’ll make a big push for Carr. I’d have to think he’d veto a trade here but if not I’m terrified of what Rivera would do and give up? Who knows? Maybe Justin Fields becomes an option and he ships Payne plus a couple first round picks their way which would be even worse. Rivera right now is capable of anything because of his uncertain future. 

Well if you’re to believe this Paulsen report he just said, it’s Howells chance. Doubtful on Carr

• Like 1

I don’t like the overpay for TJ Edwards or Andre Dillard. I don’t see Rivera cutting Leno at all & certainly not for an injury prone LT who he’d overpay.

I get this is what you’d like to do but, I see no desire from Rivera in giving a huge FA contract to a LB. He hasn’t done it in 3 years. I think Ron likes Holcomb & Jamin showed strifes this ruse & led the team in tackles with 104 which means he’s one of our starting LBs next year & I think Ron re-signs Holcomb.

I don’t see the point in cutting Logan Thomas. I would restructure his contract. I don’t think he’s over the hill, I think the 1st half of the year he was rocking his way back from the torn ACL & then bc our offense now has 3 legitimate good to great starting WRs that Logan doesn’t get targeted as much and neither do our RBs. We have Bates as a blocking TE, Cole Turner developing as a pass catching TE & Amari Rogers as a versatile chess piece as 4th a TE too, I don’t see the need to add a TE unless it’s Michael Mayer who’s a clear upgrade over what we have. If we draft Michael Mayer in R1, then I’d cut Logan Thomas but short of that, I wouldn’t.

We were 6-1 with Tyler Larsen as our C this year & good with him in 2021 as our starting C when Roullier went down with his broken leg/ankle in 2021 as well. After Larsen dislocated his knee cap at Met Life at the NYG, we finished the season 1-3 w/o him as our starting C. Needless to say despite his age of 33, he should be kept as a reserve center for us bc we didn’t  miss a beat with him coming in for Roullier when he was injured each of the last 2 years. 

Khaleke Hudson started week 18 & played well vs the Cowboys so, I think he’s back and our 5th or 6th LB next year if we keep 6. He’s also a good special teams player.

Jeremy Reaves is a pro bowl special teams player and offers good depth at Buffalo nickel, SS & FS. Not re-signing him would be nearly as foolish as Shan-Allen not re-signing Lorenzo Alexander a decade ago. If you have core special teams players who are good on coverage & you have good coverage units, you retain those core guys.

Cam Sims, also a core special teams guy who should be kept on a vet min contract. He’s also a solid receiver and has to be one of the best #5 WRs in the league.

I really find it concerning that you want to not re-sign 3 of our best special teams coverage guys who are also good depth players 

I would re-sign Obada as well, a DE who’s good depth that can get 3 to 5 sacks a year & can slide inside to play DT on passing downs is valuable. 

I agree with your other re-signings of Wildgoose & Danny Johnson. I definitely agree with not re-signing Trai Turner, Bostic or Mayo.

As for the draft, I really like it except for 2 picks. I don’t agree with signing another DE.  As I said, I’d re-sign Obada & we have Casey Toohill, Shaka Toney & William Bradley King as depth all 3 who’ve flashed when they’ve gotten to play. I don’t think we need to draft a mid round DE. I’d rather take another LB in R5, another CB or a C/G in round 4 instead of a DE. I see you took a C in R6, so I guess I’d take a CB or LB in R5 instead of DE.

Also while I really like Luke Schoonmaker, we already have a TE just like him him in John Bates. Plus, we drafted Cole Turner last year to be a pass catching TE, we have Amari Rodgers & Cutis Hoges developing. I see no reason to take a late round TE. The only TEs I’d draft in this class are Michael Mayer in round 1 or Darnell Washington in round 2 and if we do that, then I’d cut Logan Thomas and only then would I cut Logan.

Last note, rather than franchising & retaining DaRon Payne, I still think we need to consider tagging him and trading him if we can’t/aren’t going to sign him to a long term deal. I think we can get 2 picks for Payne, a 1st & a mid round pick. I want to keep him long term, but franchising Payne just makes no sense to me. It upsets the players so they don’t want to re-sign with your organization in the way it did Kirk & Scherff. We should’ve traded both of them after tagging them when we could’ve in 2017 & 2020 and sadly if we can’t get Payne re-signed in February/March, we need to tag & trade him. There are a lot of teams that would trade for Payne that need help on the interior of their DL, I definitely think 2 of them would be the Ravens & Steelers. I don’t want to be sitting here in a year or 2 and just looking at getting a 3rd round pick for Payne when I know this off-season we could trade him for a 1st round pick & a 3rd or 4th.

Edited by turtle28