Is his goose Cooked? (Upd: Officially now a J-E-T, 8/16)

swede700

I'm sure we'll have to come back and discuss this further during the offseason as something will have to be done with his contract, but this is the first article assessing his season this year...

Worse Than His Standard Stats: Dalvin Cook, MIN

Just as his Minnesota Vikings racked up a lot of wins with historically bad point totals, Dalvin Cook racked up a lot of yards from scrimmage with historically bad DYAR numbers. He's only the second running back on record with negative total DYAR on 1,400-plus yards from scrimmage, joining Matt Forte in 2009. And while that DYAR is skewed by a sack-fumble on a goal-line trick pass against Detroit, even without that play Cook was basically at replacement level. 

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/quick-reads/2023/mahomes-and-kelce-climbing-fo-leaderboards

Edited by swede700

The team needs someone to play RB next year and I would still way rather have Cook than Mattison so assuming Mattison is going to get paid by someone I would rather let that someone be someone else and stick with Cook. The team should be looking what other options they will have for next year as Cook on his current contract is not at all good value.

I said it in a different thread but I'd be OK rolling with Chandler, Nwangwu, and a cheap(er) veteran for 2023.

Mattison is as good as gone in FA and Cook would need to come down quite a bit from his $14.1M cap number. I can't imagine Kwesi wants to pay that from an analytical perspective.

• Like 2

Cook’s contract was basically designed to be reworked after this season, and I would expect something to happen in that regard. Cook is one of the more consistent running backs in the league, and he’s still the best option to take into next year. 

Mattison is gone, in my opinion. He’s a solid backup, but he’s just not consistent enough for me to want as a starter. And the idea of keeping Mattison and cutting Cook is completely off the table. 

Either cut Cook and role with a group of players on rookie contracts, or keep Cook. Those are the only options in my mind. And we’ve seen absolutely nothing from Nwangwu or Chandler to even remotely suggest that they could step into a more prominent role. 

Just now, PrplChilPill said:

Way too many fumbles.....I really like watching him, but if they need cap space, I think they can get a decent player to replace him. 

I agree. If a decent amount of space can be cleared, I think you pull the trigger. If we’re stuck with him for another year, then so be it. May need to find more of a downhill runner to compliment him, seems he’s not very effective in short yardage situations. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Duluther said:

Personally, I detest Cook being our back. I want someone who's reliable regarding health and ball security. I'd also like someone who's more active in the passing game. 

Every time Cook runs, I'm tensing for a fumble, and if not, an injury.

His health has been fine this year.  Yes, he generally misses a couple of games a year, but that hasn't been the case this year...and he's had 1100+ yds for 4 yrs in a row.   And he has less fumbles in 6 yrs than Adrian had in his first 3 yrs.  I'm not sure what your definition of reliable is.    

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...