2023 NFL Playoffs Talk

MikeT14

Thought this would be a fun little thread for us to talk about what's going on in the playoffs.

Who do you all like this week?

I expect SF, Buffalo to roll. I like the Chargers to squeak by. Minnesota keeps it closer than they should but win. Cincinnati over Baltimore and Dallas over Tampa.

23 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Expected blow out in first but rough start for Lawrence in 2nd game to start

Yup. Jags saved my parlay yesterday, then Bills destroyed it today by not winning by 6.5.

Then Vikes Defense completely destroyed the other two remaining parlays.

Watch those two games be the only legs I miss on. 

Anger.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, e16bball said:

My Kid (Giants fan): I’m really nervous, what if Cousins takes them down and scores to tie it up?

Me:

American Football Thumbs Up GIF by Minnesota Vikings

He's done that a lot this year and in previous years. If the guy actually gets a defense, he might win a ring. The Vikes D was straight up dog excrement today

2 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

He's done that a lot this year and in previous years. If the guy actually gets a defense, he might win a ring. The Vikes D was straight up dog excrement today

It’s honestly wild to me that smart people still say stuff like this. 

First of all, he left here to join the team with the reigning #1 defense, and they were still top 10 in 2018 and top 5 in 2019. That’s not good enough to win with? 

He’s already got a quality OL in place, along with a top 10 RB1, a top 10 RB2, a top 5 WR1, a top 10 WR2, and a top 10 TE. If you give him a high-quality defense as well, that would be arguably the best team in the league around him. He needs all that to accomplish high-level goals like beat the Giants at home or post a positive point differential? He might have a shot at winning then, but he’s basically Jimmy G/Brock Purdy at that point. 

Second of all, what else do you need to see to know who he is? Is there anything more classically Kurt than 4th and 8 with the season on the line — and he checks it down to a tightly covered TE? In the biggest moments, his brain melts. It always has. You’ll never win a SB with him, because he’ll never be able to keep it together for 3-4 big games in a row. It just won’t ever happen.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

It’s honestly wild to me that smart people still say stuff like this. 

It's also wild to me that people continually point to one person as the reason for a loss. Especially when that one person played well. Not saying you're doing that here. Just seeing it a lot from casual NFL fans.

As for my post, I was talking about with the coach, OC, and personnel he has now, if he actually gets a defense to match up, he'd get a ring. Vikes D was #31 in YPG this year (29th in PPG). The fact that they went 13-4 this year is a testament to the offense.

First of all, he left here to join the team with the reigning #1 defense, and they were still top 10 in 2018 and top 5 in 2019. That’s not good enough to win with? 

Only part right. That D dropped to 4th in 2018 and then down to 14th in 2019.

2020 they were 27th.

2021 they were 30th. 

So I'll give you that he had a Top 10 defense, once. 

And no. I don't consider 27th, 30th, and 31st good enough to win in the playoffs. And I bet the Vikes are wishing they had a 14th ranked D show up today.

He’s already got a quality OL in place, along with a top 10 RB1, a top 10 RB2, a top 5 WR1, a top 10 WR2, and a top 10 TE. If you give him a high-quality defense as well, that would be arguably the best team in the league around him. He needs all that to accomplish high-level goals like beat the Giants at home or post a positive point differential? He might have a shot at winning then, but he’s basically Jimmy G/Brock Purdy at that point. 

Okay, we're back to talking about the present season.

E- the Jints punted once today. Once. He just needed ANYONE to play defense today. Not saying he has to have Pro Bowlers at every position, but you're not going to win too many games when your defense gives up 30 points

Second of all, what else do you need to see to know who he is? Is there anything more classically Kurt than 4th and 8 with the season on the line — and he checks it down to a tightly covered TE? In the biggest moments, his brain melts. It always has. You’ll never win a SB with him, because he’ll never be able to keep it together for 3-4 big games in a row. It just won’t ever happen.

Yup. Bonehead play. Not gonna lie. But he's actually delivered earlier this season in those situations. Just didn't today on that play. He's not my favorite QB by any stretch. You'll never see me say he's an elite QB (a la Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, etc...). In fact, I've been on record saying he wasn't worth the contract they gave him. But I do think he's a top 10 to 12-ish QB. He's good enough to get you a top 10 offense. But if your defense is giving up play after play to a team that pretty much only has Saquon, you're not going to be that successful. Drew Brees had a similar problem at New Orleans. He'd end up having to engineer 40pts in many games IIRC because his defense crapped the bed and gave up 38. And BTW - Drew was a MUCH better QB in case you think I'm trying to say Cousins is as good. 

My point for today is that if the Vikes D actually plays defense on 50% of the plays, the last play Kirk makes on offense is a kneel down, and not a poor choice of targets on 4th and 8 (*)

(*)Still not sure why he didn't go with the mid-cross route. It seemed open when I was watching it, but I turned the TV to Paw Patrol for my son right after so I didn't see any analysis of the play. I might watch the All-22 later.

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

That scoop and score on the QB sneak has to have been one of the biggest win probability swings in recent memory.

Yup. I'd hate to be a Ravens fan at the moment. Thinking you're going up by 7 and in the span of about 10-15 seconds, you're down by that same amount.

I've never in my life rooted for Brady to win the Superbowl.

I've been anti-Brady/Belicheat since day-1. ( My buddy is a Raiders fan, so that should explain that)

But that changes this year.

For a guy to unretire & lose his wife, kids & who knows what else to play again?

I have a new found respect for him. 

So I will be pulling for Brady & the Bucs the rest of the way.

I mean, the dude is old. 

And he's out there still playing.

Not really a Chiefs fan, even though I live in Missouri. ( My dad was)

No way do I want the Niners winning another ring.

No possible way I can pull for any of the NFC East teams.

Tired of the non-stop Bills/Hamlin drama....we're gonna give you a neutral field if you play K.C. BS.

I do like the Bengals story. They were there last year, but didn't win it. They've still never won the SB, either.

Jacksonville would make a boring SB, sorry. I can't root for them. It would be like rooting for a soda taste contest between Mountain Dew & Tab.

So I'm hoping for a Bengals vs Bucs Superbowl.

Not caring who wins...

Edited by aceinthehouse