Roquan Smith Extension

coordinator0

Worth every penny. Hilarious how both the fanbase and EDC knew early on Queen wasn't the guy to lead the middle of the defense, a la the pursuit of Bobby Wagner, but glad we were able to end up with a guy like Smith. Night and day between our defense with him and without him this season. Also, even though this contract makes him the highest paid at the position, the guaranteed money makes complete sense.

Now, here's hoping Lamar will be willing to come down a bit on the guaranteed money....

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Happy for Smith, we all knew this was happening. I have mixed feelings about paying off-ball linebackers this much money but his impact has been undeniable.

Now let's please get Lamar extended?

If he doesn’t come off the fully guaranteed thing it’s not gonna happen.

The best case scenario IMO is for us to tag him and Herbert/Burrow both sign extensions this offseason that aren’t fully guaranteed. If he sees that no one else is giving/getting that ridiculous Watson deal besides the desperate Browns I think he’s more likely to come off it and just take a huge bag (which is what we offered last year).

• Like 1

Happy to see Roquan get locked up. That gives me extra hope regarding Lamar getting locked up as well.

1) Both represent themselves so if one guy can get it done, the media nonsense about Lamar representing himself should cool down some as there’s evidence it can get done.
2) Lamar has been available to also negotiate having been out with injury. Of course if it is happening, I doubt neither side will be leaking this type of info. It also would make sense that both parties would wait for a playoff return to see if there’s additional results that can benefit either negotiating position; mainly I think Lamar’s price won’t go down, but it could go up if he somehow comes back and dominates in the postseason.
3) This keeps the franchise tag an option so as to gives the team that additional negotiating leverage as a last resort. Lamar and his team will know that and it should increase the likelihood however slight that accepting a good offer vs the perfect offer would make sense.
4) Locking Roquan up for five years means the team can sell the long term benefits to Lamar that this team has a window with their defensive captain/leader locked up and just waiting on their offensive leader to be also locked up.

But back to Roquan, obviously everyone has already said it, he’s transformed the defense and his arrival has lessened the missed tackles this defense continued to see on a week in and week out basis. Queen definitely won’t be back at the end of his deal, but he can certainly net us back a 3rd round comp in the future if Smith’s impact continues to cover up his weaknesses and maximize his strengths.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Live look in at Campbell and Urban after the FG block in Pittsburgh

Speaking of Campbell, have to think Calais Campbell with return for one final run if we don’t get it done this season (unless he ring chases elsewhere). Dude is just one sack shy of 100 and one more season would absolutely get him there. His play isn’t what it once was, but he’s still one of the better interior defensive options in the league.

And with Roquan back in the fold and with what should be most of our other defensive options back minus probably Peters and maybe minus Houston… you’ve got to think there’s a shot at a return.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Speaking of Campbell, have to think Calais Campbell with return for one final run if we don’t get it done this season (unless he ring chases elsewhere). Dude is just one sack shy of 100 and one more season would absolutely get him there. His play isn’t what it once was, but he’s still one of the better interior defensive options in the league.

And with Roquan back in the fold and with what should be most of our other defensive options back minus probably Peters and maybe minus Houston… you’ve got to think there’s a shot at a return.

Justin Madubuike is a free agent. Still not the most consistent impact player, but when he's on he's great. I'd argue he's more valuable on the field than Peters or Campbell now. I expect him to sign a big deal elsewhere.

Edited by wackywabbit

30 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Justin Madubuike is a free agent. Still not the most consistent impact player, but when he's on he's great. I'd argue he's more valuable on the field than Peters or Campbell now. I expect him to sign a big deal elsewhere.

Yeah, while he’s shown to be really good in spurts it feels like we’ve never seen the Justin Madubuike that gets sold to us every offseason as a pro bowl caliber IDL