Roquan Smith Extension

coordinator0

2 hours ago, DreamKid said:

He's a FA next offseason.

For a second I thought I was a year older than I already feel.😅

Thought we had time still. I definitely think the 2024 draft need- or at least one of them- should be pretty clear. We’ll need to go back to the drawing board with acquiring a pass rushing IDL… though defensively having a guy like Roquan in the fold and under the assumption that Lamar returns, will make recruiting nice defensive veterans for quality deals that much more likely. Guys like to play with studs and the Ravens historical defensive past also leads to securing guys at a bargain more than some squads I’m sure.

• Like 1

I'm pretty happy with this deal. Smith checks all the boxes. Every single one of them. It would be foolish to let someone like that go. I know there's reservations about paying an off-ball linebacker, but I'm not in that camp. Not for a guy that plays/will play pretty much 100% of the defensive snaps every game while being an effective leader for that unit. And not getting toasted in coverage all that often. That's a big one.

This sets up the defensive unit for at least a couple of years. Here are the guys under contract in at least 2023:

DL: Calais Campbell / Justin Madubuike / Travis Jones / Broderick Washington Jr. / Michael Pierce

OLB: Tyus Bowser / Odafe Oweh / David Ojabo / Daelin Hayes

ILB: Roquan Smith / Patrick Queen / Malik Harrison

CB: Marlon Humphrey / Brandon Stephens / Damarion Williams / Jalyn Armour-Davis

S: Marcus Williams / Chuck Clark / Kyle Hamilton

UFA

Marcus Peters
Kevon Seymour
Vince Biegel
Daryl Worley
Steven Means
Brent Urban
Jason Pierre-Paul
Kyle Fuller
Justin Houston

RFA

Del'Shawn Phillips
Geno Stone
Kristian Welch

Not a ton of work to be done here. Cornerback is obviously the spot that needs some help, but it's not a dire situation at least. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

I'm pretty happy with this deal. Smith checks all the boxes. Every single one of them. It would be foolish to let someone like that go. I know there's reservations about paying an off-ball linebacker, but I'm not in that camp. Not for a guy that plays/will play pretty much 100% of the defensive snaps every game while being an effective leader for that unit. And not getting toasted in coverage all that often. That's a big one.

This sets up the defensive unit for at least a couple of years. Here are the guys under contract in at least 2023:

DL: Calais Campbell / Justin Madubuike / Travis Jones / Broderick Washington Jr. / Michael Pierce

OLB: Tyus Bowser / Odafe Oweh / David Ojabo / Daelin Hayes

ILB: Roquan Smith / Patrick Queen / Malik Harrison

CB: Marlon Humphrey / Brandon Stephens / Damarion Williams / Jalyn Armour-Davis

S: Marcus Williams / Chuck Clark / Kyle Hamilton

UFA

Marcus Peters
Kevon Seymour
Vince Biegel
Daryl Worley
Steven Means
Brent Urban
Jason Pierre-Paul
Kyle Fuller
Justin Houston

RFA

Del'Shawn Phillips
Geno Stone
Kristian Welch

Not a ton of work to be done here. Cornerback is obviously the spot that needs some help, but it's not a dire situation at least. 

Pretty encouraging outlook on defense going into next year. Think a CB and a pass rusher are really the only areas we probably need addressed to any significant extent.

I think CB along with WR is in play as our top preferred option in the 1st round. Depending on how the board falls, though, I wouldn’t be shocked if it was a pass rusher. But i’m really hoping for CB/WR

21 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

We’ll need to go back to the drawing board with acquiring a pass rushing IDL…

Don't sleep on the Broderick Washington Hero Arc 😅-

One of the few pleasant and shocking surprises of this season. If we can't retain Buike, we can still basically guarantee EDC will lock Washington in on a bargain deal. Add in Jones and Pierce on a team friendly, then things still look pretty bright long term. Would love to keep them all though.