Random Bears Thoughts - Offseason Thread

Ty21

I was considering making a 2023 Bears roster thread that is regularly updated with cuts, acquisitions, and general roster transactions but this would probably be easier to manage. 

I watched the Poles/Eberflus presser after the season. He didn’t say anything offputting and didn’t commit to anything drastic. 
-Fields needs to improve as a passer, Poles didn’t eliminate chance of taking a QB, as they intent to evaluate every single possibility 

-That includes the possibility of using the first pick, trading down a small amount, and trading down a huge amount

-He’s still fully in on Claypool, which goes without saying. But I wonder if he is willing to admit he’s wrong if it doesn’t work out with him 

-His favorite player was Cole Kmet and was very impressed with him. Considering how dysfunctional the offense was and pass pro, I would have to agree

-He said he loves David Montgomery, meaning it’s up to the numbers if he comes back, so they definitely value him on some level. Good to see.
-he raved on the run blocking, condemned pass blocking. Hopefully OL remains an absolute priority for him in free agency because the run blocking is a smoke screen for way worse problems 

-Das Flubby said like 3 words 

Edited by Ty21
  • Like 1

Nice. 

Looking for a place to put this thought.

I was just thinking even though I didn't see game it does look like most Bears fans are now off the Velus Jones is officially a bust and perhaps should be cut band wagon.

I was feeling fairly lonely defending his continued existence.

Also how about Green Bay's rookie LB in final game though?  Quay Walker.  Wow.   He shoved a trainer from behind in middle of a tight game with a playoff berth on the line.

It wasn't even his first time doing something that stupid this season.

To me that isn't like dropping a football or fumbling.  That is beyond stupid.   I might be so mad as to cut him on spot.  I don't care he is a first round pick.

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Nice. 

Looking for a place to put this thought.

I was just thinking even though I didn't see game it does look like most Bears fans are now off the Velus Jones is officially a bust and perhaps should be cut band wagon.

I was feeling fairly lonely defending his continued existence.

Also how about Green Bay's rookie LB in final game though?  Quay Walker.  Wow.   He shoved a trainer from behind in middle of a tight game with a playoff berth on the line.

It wasn't even his first time doing something that stupid this season.

To me that isn't like dropping a football or fumbling.  That is beyond stupid.   I might be so mad as to cut him on spot.  I don't care he is a first round pick.

I’m curious how the league will respond to that.  Especially given the timing after the damar Hamlin game.  You should never shove a trainer, much less while they’re tending to an injured player.  And in the middle of trainers getting all this praise for likely saving Hamlins life.  

I thought Poles came across well and it is clear his confidence in front of the media is growing...

I thought his answer on Fields was pretty much so perfect given the circumstance...he has improved and it is clear he is a playmaker who can offer instant offence with his legs but he has a ways to go as a passer...not sure anyone can argue that...he also said he would need to be blown away by one of these QBs in the draft to make a change there...he would already know if he was blown away but to try and keep some sort of leverage with that #1 pick you have to at least give the impression your open to the idea of taking a QB...do I think anyone buys it? No...but you have to give that answer.

I thought he was really honest when asked should you have given Fields more help and said they did what they could with what they had and if they had more they would have given him more...it is clear this is the start of the build and last year was about clearing up...I think we all knew it but it is good to have a GM who is at least honest enough to come out and say it.

I thought he was clear that we will value primer positions & value over anything else which is exactly what he needs to do and why it was the right move to trade the likes of Roquan...let Baltimore pay a 3-4 ILB $100 million not us...made it very clear it's the same with Monty this offseason...loves the player but has a value on that position and won't come away from it...made it clear he understands he needs to add more talent around Fields...namely a #1 WR who will then realign everything for the rest of the receiver group.

I think his statement about staying financially sound was also important as again you need to keep leverage with agents in free agency especially when you could be targeted by players just looking to make a quick buck.

The point on us being the 3rd least penalized team in the NFL while having over 1000 more rookie snaps than anyone else points to really strong coaching and the fact he understands that those snaps will really help some of the young guys who will go back to being rotational or depth pieces down the line.

I think it is the clear this is start of something and where we should really start to judge Poles & Flus from.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

If Minnesota said Justin Jefferson for #1 would you take it?

Or is the thought of turning the pick into a multitude of starters better?

I think we would still need to trade down and given talent than more than 1 position just because of how far away we are.

2 hours ago, Ty21 said:

If Minnesota said Justin Jefferson for #1 would you take it?

Or is the thought of turning the pick into a multitude of starters better?

Everyone knows Jefferson is a stud, but besides punter, what do we need?  Trade the #1 overall pick, build around Fields and the front 7.  

17 hours ago, CBears019 said:

I’m curious how the league will respond to that.  Especially given the timing after the damar Hamlin game.  You should never shove a trainer, much less while they’re tending to an injured player.  And in the middle of trainers getting all this praise for likely saving Hamlins life.  

Probably a fine. 

The ejection is supposed to be the main punishment/deterrent.