Random Bears Thoughts - Offseason Thread

Ty21

1 hour ago, Ty21 said:

Past 3 years doesn’t matter when referring to kickers. It’s a very “what have you done for me lately” job. Remember when a lot of us wanted Gould gone for an arbitrary reason (he can’t even kick out of the back of the endzone!). He was very limited last season for kick distance and kicking in the conditions 

I’m not disagreeing with you, but even at that he missed only 2 total FGs last year, and one was a 56 yarder he missed like 7 yards short and should never have kicked. There’s legit value to it being a reliable 3 points every time we get to the 30 yard line. That reliability has limits, but also a lot of value. You mentioned Gould - he got cut after one subpar (for him) year and it turned out to be overly hasty and a bad move too. It took us 5 seasons to find an adequate replacement. Santos isn’t Gould… but he’s not 2018 Parkey either.

All I’m saying is that I don’t think they’ll cut him just to change kickers (that’s how I read your OP on the topic, which may not have even been what you intended). I think they’ll cut him only if there’s a clearly better one with whom we can replace him. Matt Gay would he that clear upgrade to me. 

• Like 1

Daniel Greenberg on Twitter (gets a little annoying at times) made a good point. Robert Quinn only had 2 tackles, 0 sacks, and 2 qb hits after the trade and we got a 2023 4th round pick. for all the **** poles gets for trading our 2nd for Claypool (definitely not a great trade, but understood it at the time) the fact that he got a 4th round pick for a player who had 2 tackles in half a season is just outstanding work.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HuskieBear said:

Daniel Greenberg on Twitter (gets a little annoying at times) made a good point. Robert Quinn only had 2 tackles, 0 sacks, and 2 qb hits after the trade and we got a 2023 4th round pick. for all the **** poles gets for trading our 2nd for Claypool (definitely not a great trade, but understood it at the time) the fact that he got a 4th round pick for a player who had 2 tackles in half a season is just outstanding work.

Quinn’s career has gone goooood->baaaaaaad->good->bad->good->bad. All he needs is one more chance with the eagles to have a good season for them. 

13 hours ago, Ty21 said:

Past 3 years doesn’t matter when referring to kickers. It’s a very “what have you done for me lately” job. Remember when a lot of us wanted Gould gone for an arbitrary reason (he can’t even kick out of the back of the endzone!). He was very limited last season for kick distance and kicking in the conditions 

I remember one of the big points people tried to make against Gould was, "He sucks at onside kicks!" 🤣

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

That’s because people on Facebook are illiterate 

Sad thing is that they will stay that way because Facebook's algorithm is designed to reflect your own thoughts and opinions which in turn doesn't do anything but to reinforce that your opinion on a topic is the correct and only opinion on a topic. It's a vicious cycle of stupidity.

Posted in wayta earlier but for those keeping tabs on me here: I got the call that I’m officially approved for a bilateral lung transplant earlier today. Life changing news. The biggest concern in getting approved was my heart problems but apparently they are moving forward despite it, and new lungs will communicate with my heart and make it work better again. Only reason it’s failing is because my lungs are blocking the blood pumping from my heart, so my heart is essentially working harder and harder blasting into a wall it can’t get through. 

The only negative to this (outside of obviously the mortality risk) is that I have the strangest feeling that the call to get my actual transplant will happen on draft day 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Ty21 said:

Posted in wayta earlier but for those keeping tabs on me here: I got the call that I’m officially approved for a bilateral lung transplant earlier today. Life changing news. The biggest concern in getting approved was my heart problems but apparently they are moving forward despite it, and new lungs will communicate with my heart and make it work better again. Only reason it’s failing is because my lungs are blocking the blood pumping from my heart, so my heart is essentially working harder and harder blasting into a wall it can’t get through. 

The only negative to this (outside of obviously the mortality risk) is that I have the strangest feeling that the call to get my actual transplant will happen on draft day 

LOL.  Pretty sure you can catch up on draft results in post op.

Make sure you let us know when you get call so we can pray for you. 

Post again after when you are able so we can celebrate together or have someone do it for you. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

Great news man...stay strong and follow the road they set out and you will crush it...all the very best 👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ty21 said:

This is incredible news bro. As someone that works in healthcare I know what a hurdle it is to get an approval for transplant surgery. I am extremely happy and hopeful for you. You got this.

• Like 2