Random Bears Thoughts - Offseason Thread

Ty21

- Exciting young QB

- First overall pick

- Most cap space/likely to have lots of FA additions

- New team President incoming

- Talk of new stadium

Bears have a lot of intrigue.  This might be our year.  Can’t imagine the NFL wants any cameras near the Commanders until Snyder is gone for good.  Jets?  Wilson fighting for his job back may be interesting….maybe.  Sauce Gardner may make for good TV.  Other than that idk.  Saints?  Meh.  

I think the Bears get selected for it.

18 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

- Exciting young QB

- First overall pick

- Most cap space/likely to have lots of FA additions

- New team President incoming

- Talk of new stadium

Bears have a lot of intrigue.  This might be our year.  Can’t imagine the NFL wants any cameras near the Commanders until Snyder is gone for good.  Jets?  Wilson fighting for his job back may be interesting….maybe.  Sauce Gardner may make for good TV.  Other than that idk.  Saints?  Meh.  

I think the Bears get selected for it.

If it’s ever gonna happen, it’s almost got to be this upcoming season. 

3 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

If it’s ever gonna happen, it’s almost got to be this upcoming season. 

Yeah there’s too much going for the bears that will make them good for tv.  It’s a double edge sword for me - i like getting the behind-the-scenes look at the team and getting to know what the players are like off the field a bit.  But i also wonder how much a distraction that is to a very young team trying to get on the right track.

I haven’t looked into it, but I’m curious the breakdown of team success when featured in Hard Knocks.

5 hours ago, CBears019 said:

Yeah there’s too much going for the bears that will make them good for tv.  It’s a double edge sword for me - i like getting the behind-the-scenes look at the team and getting to know what the players are like off the field a bit.  But i also wonder how much a distraction that is to a very young team trying to get on the right track.

I haven’t looked into it, but I’m curious the breakdown of team success when featured in Hard Knocks.

As my daughter likes to say, easy peazy llama squeezy:

2022 cards: kyler died, Kliff fired 

2022 lions: started horribly, ended respectably 

2021 colts: team had 7 pro bowlers, 5 all pros but ended boring 9-8 no playoffs

2021 cowboys: 12-5, first round exit 

2020 rams: 10-6, won in wild csrd, lost divisional 

2020 chargers: 7-9, sucked like always. Probably compelling on the show since no one would’ve been hurt yet in typical chargers fashion 

2019 raiders: went 7-9, then abandoned their town

2018 browns: 7-8-1, seeing a 7 win trend idk if I’m loving 

2017 Bucs: 5-11, but then again to qualify for hard knocks you have to have a 2 year playoff drought, right? 
2016 Rams: 4-12, man they were blessed with some high draft picks before their sb run 

2015 Texans: 9-7

2014 falcons: 6-10

2013 bengals: 11-5 back when Marvin Lewis was still alive 

2012 dolphins: 7-9

2010 jets: 11-5, such a promising team, made it all the way to afc championship and then the next year cursed the roster for 20 years with the butt fumble 

2009 bengals: 10-6, wildcard exit. Shortly before Carson Palmer exit 

2008 Cowboys 9-7

2007 chiefs: 4-12

2002 cowboys: 5-11

2001 ravens: 10-6, won wildcard, lost div. 

6 teams on the list have been to the super bowl, 4 have one it since. 

5 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I'm not sure if the Bears have to be on HK if they're asked. Biggs wrote something weeks ago that George would never approve it. I'm not sure how that process goes but he made it sound like George would have to give the final approval

The way I always understood it was that the Bears couldn’t “reject” being on HK if chosen from the eligible teams, but that the McCaskeys were so opposed to being on it and that they had enough clout and respect amongst league leadership that they just don’t get chosen.

I wonder if Virginia’s apparently declining health helps get them a courtesy pass. The McCaskeys are super private. They seemingly wouldn’t want any of that being chronicled and shared with the public, especially if it takes a turn for the worse over the summer. 

3 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

The way I always understood it was that the Bears couldn’t “reject” being on HK if chosen from the eligible teams, but that the McCaskeys were so opposed to being on it and that they had enough clout and respect amongst league leadership that they just don’t get chosen.

I wonder if Virginia’s apparently declining health helps get them a courtesy pass. The McCaskeys are super private. They seemingly wouldn’t want any of that being chronicled and shared with the public, especially if it takes a turn for the worse over the summer. 

^^this. the eligibility factor of hard knocks refers to when the league can FORCE a team to do it. i believe the requirements are 1) haven't made playoffs in at least 2 years 2) don't have a new HC and 3) haven't been on HK in the last 10 years.

bears were eligible a couple years ago as well but McCaskeys managed to shut it down. a lot of intrigue into having it this year though

2 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Also, what happened to Chad Forbes? For awhile there he was considered a must follow & a good draftnik. Now he posts horse**** most of the time. Way to turn into a loser, moron.

When you hit your wall of intrigue and potential, you revert to dumb hot takes to try to be heard. It’s all anyone has anymore 

1 hour ago, Ty21 said:

When you hit your wall of intrigue and potential, you revert to dumb hot takes to try to be heard. It’s all anyone has anymore 

Lol I talk to my kids about this all the time (approaching teenage years). Just because someone has a platform doesn’t mean they have anything to say that’s worth listening to. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

Also, what happened to Chad Forbes? For awhile there he was considered a must follow & a good draftnik. Now he posts horse**** most of the time. Way to turn into a loser, moron.

i followed him YEARS ago because he seemed to have good tidbits, but he quickly morphed into another hot-take guy that got way more wrong than he did right