Random Bears Thoughts - Offseason Thread

Ty21

On 5/25/2023 at 2:09 PM, Madmike90 said:

This is a pretty insane stat if it's true...Gipson being double teamed that much and still us finding zero success when it came to rushing the passer shows just how bad things have been.

I think I have a good idea of who Gipson is and he can be and is better than 2022, but not great. 

Robinson is a guy I am still curious about.  That radical of a position change takes a lot of time.  Why NFL can’t usually do projects.  The lack of time.  A lot of times when it actually works you end up doing work for someone else to enjoy.  

I got burned on Dieter last year when I argued for him to start and then he got shot to start a full game at guard and immediately had a bad game.  A game I can’t defend.  Aside from that game, and I can’t remember offhand which it was, he has some good tape in regular season spot duty and preseason.  

Despite that embarrassing incident I still think he has low end to average starting potential.  He was a late to football project guy.  

Glad Bears hung onto him.  I think he can end up solid depth inside in a pinch.  

TTNL just did a long interview with Dieter on YouTube.  

One interesting tidbit I learned is for Bears the C makes initial line call and then QB can change it as he likes or not.  

Edited by dll2000

That’s why we need to sign Ezekiel Elliot to fill in at Center. Roschon to LT, Jones to QB. 

And when it works, we could plug Fields in at runningback, where half the fans think he belongs anyway 

3 hours ago, Ty21 said:

That’s why we need to sign Ezekiel Elliot to fill in at Center. Roschon to LT, Jones to QB. 

And when it works, we could plug Fields in at runningback, where half the fans think he belongs anyway 

You aren't giving Dominique Robinson his due respect. 

Johnson has been participating from zoom and staying in contact with coaches.

Nate Davis is just straight skipping voluntary OTAs, which is rare for an early FA signing.  It is voluntary I guess.  

Everyone else is there and rehabbing.

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Johnson has been participating from zoom and staying in contact with coaches.

Nate Davis is just straight skipping voluntary OTAs, which is rare for an early FA signing.  It is voluntary I guess.  

Everyone else is there and rehabbing.

Is that what they said about Davis? He just skipped them, or is he dealing with a personal or injury issue?

15 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Is that what they said about Davis? He just skipped them, or is he dealing with a personal or injury issue?

Those are my words.  Flus would probably have said as much when asked about his absence.  When it is nothing they don’t comment.  When it is something, like injury or personal issue, they typically tell us.  Like they did for everyone else not there.  

Brohm will beat out Rodgers and has more upside than Rodgers.  

Everyone is wrong often in hindsight.  But when people appeal to NFL GMs, scouts or talking heads to shut down your outside the box football opinion remember this video.

• Like 1

Wannstedt attended practice and was given full access.

He was very impressed with Fields, Moore, Jenkins, Stevenson and Braxton. 

He said Moore made 3 catches in practice he hasn’t seen a Bears receiver make in 3 years. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Brohm will beat out Rodgers and has more upside than Rodgers.  

Everyone is wrong often in hindsight.  But when people appeal to NFL GMs, scouts or talking heads to shut down your outside the box football opinion remember this video.

Damn, Brian Brohm looks like a guy who’d be cast to play Brett Favre in a movie about the Bears 2006 SB run. 

Funny how one said a guy who has accuracy issues in college isn’t going to have that randomly improve at the next level and that those wayward passes go the other way in the nfl. Lookin at you Anthony Richardson 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Wannstedt attended practice and was given full access.

He was very impressed with Fields, Moore, Jenkins, Stevenson and Braxton. 

He said Moore made 3 catches in practice he hasn’t seen a Bears receiver make in 3 years. 

Hopefully peak ARob is DJ’s floor 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ty21 said:

Funny how one said a guy who has accuracy issues in college isn’t going to have that randomly improve at the next level and that those wayward passes go the other way in the nfl. Lookin at you Anthony Richardson 

I think we’re seeing more instances of improvement at least in completion percentage (which doesn’t necessarily mean “accuracy”) now, and really, on the whole completion percentages league wide have gone way up over the past few decades.

Players with > 62% completion percentage

2001 - 6

2010 - 12

2022 - 26

• Like 2

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears/bears-center-cody-whitehair-feels-more-comfortable-season

I find it hard to believe QBs like the slower style gun snap like Whitehair says here.

It slows down the play and disrupts timing on mesh.  Nobody wants a slow lob gun snap.

This was major problem I had with Whitehair at center first time around. 

Those fractions of a second matter. 

Doesn’t sound like Jaylon Johnson is going to hold out. 

“With winning comes paychecks, and I think at the end of the day, I need to focus on winning,” Johnson said. “That’s what I’m worried about going into Year 4.”