Random Bears Thoughts - Offseason Thread

Ty21

8 minutes ago, Bigbear72 said:

We have been rebuilding since Devin Hester was ridiculous.

I like that to them, shoring up like 19 starting roster spots that need to be upgraded is an easy order. I don’t think they watch the same sport. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Our forum has better insight than all the blogs youtube channels, and podcasts IMO:

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears/bears-overreactions-grading-seven-perfect-three-move-offseason-plans

I think a big reason is because we are trying to have a REAL discussion about it, meanwhile they are trying to make divisive points to generate clicks and discussion. Clickbait pays the bills for them.

If I got money for ad revenue and views, I would be even worse than Skip Bayless (maybe). hahaha

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Our forum has better insight than all the blogs youtube channels, and podcasts IMO:

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears/bears-overreactions-grading-seven-perfect-three-move-offseason-plans

He referred to the signing of Orlando Brown, Daron Payne, and drafting of Anderson as most realistic? He thinks it’s most realistic that maybe the two best free agents are going to sign with Chicago?

9 hours ago, Ty21 said:

He referred to the signing of Orlando Brown, Daron Payne, and drafting of Anderson as most realistic? He thinks it’s most realistic that maybe the two best free agents are going to sign with Chicago?

I mean, it sounds great, but some of the stuff put together here is far more realistic than any of those options.

Payne is the guy it seems everyone wants most if he hits the market, including me. It’s a classic case of huge need meets immediate long term answer. If we land him, then our need for Carter becomes much less IMO, which I think opens up our trade possibilities much more. Underdiscussed in our trade down possibilities is how early FA is potentially going to impact how far Poles is willing to move down. How many knowns can/will we acquire before the draft, and at what spots? He’s got to build a team that’s the greatest sum of parts overall, which means weighing getting top prospect at his position versus multiple top 3-4 prospects at their respective positions.

As for Brown, I suspect he’s looking to be the highest paid OT in the league (Trent Williams and Bakhtiari both make $23M/yr), and personally I’d rather see us go after any of McGary or Taylor or McGlinchey at anywhere from $5-10M less AAV, still get a large upgrade, and be able to sign another solid starter or maybe two for the same total cost. I think that’s a much more prudent use of our FA funds, especially if we’re going to have to pay top dollar and then some for Payne like in this scenario.

Anderson is my top guy in this draft and the guy I’d take at 1 if for some reason we didn’t trade down, but after a trade down that goes beyond 2 I’m not expecting him to be there. 

6 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Payne is the guy it seems everyone wants most if he hits the market, including me. It’s a classic case of huge need meets immediate long term answer

If he’s as advertised, merely not having to answer the question about Carter and his motor is a nice reprieve. 

7 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

As for Brown, I suspect he’s looking to be the highest paid OT in the league

if he is as advertised and gives us like 6 years of stellar line play, he can fill the check in himself. The less we have to use in the draft, the more positions we can address and potentially address later on via trade downs 

9 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Anderson is my top guy in this draft and the guy I’d take at 1 if for some reason we didn’t trade down, but after a trade down that goes beyond 2 I’m not expecting him to be there. 

The only obstacle being Arizona really.  If Carter goes off at the combine or the cards trade down to a qb needy team as well, we could get our cake and eat it too. 

• Like 1

I created a franchise in madden 22 and made everyone’s ratings reflect my opinions of them then benched Fields for half the year so we’d end up with the first pick and maybe get a more realistic sim for stats. He ended up within 120 yards, 10 pass attempts, .3 ypa, 3% completion percentage and had 11 ints. Pretty close lol. 

Also my receivers had a total of 3700 yards receiving, and Fields only had 2200 of it so that would mean the guy I put at QB (Cairo Santos) managed to have 1500 in half a season. Maybe we’re using him wrong in his executive watch the team go for it instead of trying the 50 yard FG role. 

Also Al-Quadin Muhammad had 2 sacks on the year. He’s twice as good in madden.