Random Bears Thoughts - Offseason Thread

Ty21

10 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

The way I always understood it was that the Bears couldn’t “reject” being on HK if chosen from the eligible teams, but that the McCaskeys were so opposed to being on it and that they had enough clout and respect amongst league leadership that they just don’t get chosen.

I wonder if Virginia’s apparently declining health helps get them a courtesy pass. The McCaskeys are super private. They seemingly wouldn’t want any of that being chronicled and shared with the public, especially if it takes a turn for the worse over the summer. 

What if they just don't let the camera crews on their practice facility, it's private property and I don't think the NFL has any stake in that.

17 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Hey guys, wanna laugh? Look for the Bears rankings and players. 

PFF might be owed an apology compared to this. 🤨

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34536376/2022-nfl-pass-rushing-run-stopping-blocking-leaderboard-win-rate-rankings-top-players-teams

That can't be real.  Braxton Jones was better than several of the chi talking heads have tried to claim bc they don't know what they are watching.  He's not a finished product by any means but his talent is evident every time you watch tape.  Cody was solid all year, a little high of a ranking but I won't fight it.  Musty...oomph.  I give him all sorts of props as being one of the better backup centers in the league, but dude is not a starter and got beat like a drum inside every week.  Ranking the Bears as the 2nd best pass block team, is just...smelly.  it doesn't pass the eye test, it doesn't pass the stats test.  Like what are you smoking to come to that conclusion.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Hey guys, wanna laugh? Look for the Bears rankings and players. 

PFF might be owed an apology compared to this. 🤨

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34536376/2022-nfl-pass-rushing-run-stopping-blocking-leaderboard-win-rate-rankings-top-players-teams

If you get sacked 55 times in 15 games, what is the metric for pass block success

3 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

If you get sacked 55 times in 15 games, what is the metric for pass block success

I think they have a very loose definition for "maintaining blocks 2.5 seconds or longer." So if Musty gets bullrushed into Fields during his dropback and Fields gets sacked, it is still a positive block as long as Musty goes along for the ride.

3 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I think they have a very loose definition for "maintaining blocks 2.5 seconds or longer." So if Musty gets bullrushed into Fields during his dropback and Fields gets sacked, it is still a positive block as long as Musty goes along for the ride.

Someone needs to stop ESPN Analytics before Poles sees it this offseason 

14 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

That can't be real.  Braxton Jones was better than several of the chi talking heads have tried to claim bc they don't know what they are watching.  He's not a finished product by any means but his talent is evident every time you watch tape.  Cody was solid all year, a little high of a ranking but I won't fight it.  Musty...oomph.  I give him all sorts of props as being one of the better backup centers in the league, but dude is not a starter and got beat like a drum inside every week.  Ranking the Bears as the 2nd best pass block team, is just...smelly.  it doesn't pass the eye test, it doesn't pass the stats test.  Like what are you smoking to come to that conclusion.

If I didn't have a full time job or if sports podcasting was my job I would totally fact check a lot of these analytic sites grades play by play on a few guys and record it as I did it.

I know there is subjectivity, but I would give my arguments along with film at same time for everyone to see.

There is just no way some of these grades can be remotely correct.  I admit if I studied some players closely individually I may be surprised in one direction or another.   But I do not believe on a close review of 2022 I am going to suddenly think Mustipher was one of best centers in the league or Braxton Jones was one of very best left tackles or Whitehair was one of best left guards.   

Some of their criteria has to be bad as well to come to these conclusions.   A whiff or getting driven straight back from snap is extra bad.   It hurts a play and team a lot.  Conversely actually moving a guy out of a gap is huge for success of a play and is hard to do.   Not all plays are equal to success or failure.   Some are more neutral.

Sometimes you had a good block, but QB scrambled into your man due to someone else.   

I think speed with which they are reviewing these plays leads to a lot of incorrect grades.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CBears019 said:

When the Bears scored the top pick in the draft, how badly did it screw up some your guys’ mock offseasons?

I didn't finish because I didn't want to take a chance of redoing it. Lol

Should have it done tomorrow. Beem lazy after work today. It was definitely Friday the 13th. 😒

2 hours ago, CBears019 said:

When the Bears scored the top pick in the draft, how badly did it screw up some your guys’ mock offseasons?

At this point I’m basically just working on a FA projection and waiting on anything of consequence draft-wise until after any trade is made.

21 hours ago, Ty21 said:

This is not in defense of these “metrics” but a sack isn’t always the most negative outcome. And I think it’s a glorified stat both positively for DL and negative for OL. That we as fans have a skewed view on.

Again this isn’t about us specifically, but at times a sack is a perfectly fine result of a play, it’s about what that play was supposed to be, how bad the sack was (down and distance lost). It’s why tape of these type of plays are so important. Was it a coverage sack? Was it a blitz that was just draw up better than the protection called? Did someone (Lineman, RB, TE) miss an assignment? Or did we just straight up get beat?

As I said about downs, Joe Burrow said it a while back, it’s fine to take a Sack on 3rd and long, as you are trying to give those guys time to get open far enough down field, sometimes you just run out of time. But it’s far better than throwing an Interception.

If we had a team that gave up 40 sacks on the year, but 20 of those came on 3rd & 7+, that might be a pretty good line, assuming the majority of those are just do to trying to extend plays. But say you only gave up 30 sacks, only 10 are on those 3rd & long plays, but you have 10 more INTs? That’s a much worse outcome for the team. 

My point is, the measure of how good a Line is, can not be simply correlated to the number of Sacks given up. There are way more factors than just that number

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Superman(DH23) said:

The amount of people who want to act like Fields is just a running QB irks me.  

I'm not worried about it anymore. You can still find people making dumb posts about Mahomes, Allen, etc. I bet there's still people who think Brady is a "system QB." 

Put points on the board and idgaf about how it happens. Fields likely will never be a top 10 passer in yards or passing TDs but he can absolutely lead an offense with talent around him. 

I still have way more questions about Getsy and Eberflus than I do about Fields. 

20 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

The amount of people who want to act like Fields is just a running QB irks me.  

I think most people think that.  Even my dad always wants to tell me that. 

Few who closely follow Bears say it.

Seems it’s everyone except Ohio St. fans and Bears fans.