Random Bears Thoughts - Offseason Thread

Ty21

20 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

The amount of people who want to act like Fields is just a running QB irks me.  

It seemed like everyone accepted the Bears’ and Packers’ receiving corps were horrendous before the season, yet still expected both qbs to move mountains with them. The FO really failed in that regard 

18 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I'm not worried about it anymore. You can still find people making dumb posts about Mahomes, Allen, etc. I bet there's still people who think Brady is a "system QB." 

Put points on the board and idgaf about how it happens. Fields likely will never be a top 10 passer in yards or passing TDs but he can absolutely lead an offense with talent around him. 

I still have way more questions about Getsy and Eberflus than I do about Fields. 

This right here is part of the problem.  Why?  What about Justin says he can't he top in yards or TDs.  FYI Jalen Hurts was #10 in yards w/ 3701, Lawrence was #10 in TDs w/ 25.  JF1 just had 17 w/ nothing around him.  Both of those #s are easily obtainable.  I personally think Fields is a future MVP, but in order to reach that level...just like every other QB...there has to be a team around him w/ protection, and reliable targets.  If we do both of those things this offseason Fields will be top 10 in both stats next year.  I'll go further than that tho too, he will be the best QB in the NFCN (not a high bar to jump if Rodgers retires, IK) and will be top 3 in NFC

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

This right here is part of the problem.  Why?  What about Justin says he can't he top in yards or TDs.  FYI Jalen Hurts was #10 in yards w/ 3701, Lawrence was #10 in TDs w/ 25.  JF1 just had 17 w/ nothing around him.  Both of those #s are easily obtainable.  I personally think Fields is a future MVP, but in order to reach that level...just like every other QB...there has to be a team around him w/ protection, and reliable targets.  If we do both of those things this offseason Fields will be top 10 in both stats next year.  I'll go further than that tho too, he will be the best QB in the NFCN (not a high bar to jump if Rodgers retires, IK) and will be top 3 in NFC

Fields' talent isn't the issue for me. I want to see Getsy and his cast improve a lot. Until that happens his rushing will be a primary part of his offense. Not be due to his ability or preference but out of necessity. Those rushes will take away from his passing stats. 

Hurts also has the best OL in the NFL and a great cast led by Brown. They have the Bears beat across the board except maybe Jenkins. Coaching is way better there and their defense doesn't make them desperate on offensive drives like CHI has to be. 

Maybe they had Claypool playing minimal reps behind Pettis and ESB to tank, maybe Getsy got really conservative in his playcalling to tank after seeing what actually worked, and maybe they do get the talent to protect him. I'm skeptical. 

Fields SHOULD be a top 10 passer, but im just not sure the Bears don't hold him back. I hope they make me eat my words. 

14 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

I'm looking forward to year 2 of JF1 in getsy's system. That first season with Lefluer in GB looked rough too - it wasn't until season 2 when things really started rolling

Let’s hope you’re right

I was talking to a friend recently about how I joined the forums because no one around me knew anything about football and those who knew enough to even know the players didn’t know enough to discuss or debate football and football moves. People on here like to complain about dumb takes from each other (which are certainly dumb takes at times) but overall it’s infinitely better than I’ve seen on any other social media or irl in general. But this led to me mentioning @Madmike90and the unlikelihood that our most knowledgeable and impressive poster (imo) in the bears subforum is a Scottish guy that didn’t even grow up around American football culture and has to go out of his way to keep up on all of it lol. My hat is off to you for always having an insight or idea worth reading. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

I was talking to a friend recently about how I joined the forums because no one around me knew anything about football and those who knew enough to even know the players didn’t know enough to discuss or debate football and football moves. People on here like to complain about dumb takes from each other (which are certainly dumb takes at times) but overall it’s infinitely better than I’ve seen on any other social media or irl in general. But this led to me mentioning @Madmike90and the unlikelihood that our most knowledgeable and impressive poster (imo) in the bears subforum is a Scottish guy that didn’t even grow up around American football culture and has to go out of his way to keep up on all of it lol. My hat is off to you for always having an insight or idea worth reading. 

Thanks man I really appreciate that 👍

• Like 1

Jerry Gray would be another strong hire in fairness…tons of experience…

Could one of these guys even be the DC and Williams revert to being a DB coach? What ever the titles we just need as much coaching talent as possible…

Now go get an experienced DL coach as well.

17 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Justin Fields should learn to pass more good. 

He should train with Hurts in offseason to learn what he did. 

He is a RB playing QB.

Some are just so frustrating, from a scheme and technique perspective mainly. Gonna lose some plays each game but hate to see some of these when they are self-inflicted.

1. Griffin on Reddick? That's just disrespectful. Griffin never stood a chance, I feel like Reddick is CONSTANTLY overlooked. Hargrave controls Whitehair's outside arm from the snap, just a great play by him. The hell was Monty doing? Did he think Reddick was going to stunt inside? There was one obvious mismatch and he waits inside the OT to help?

2. Jones misses when he gets stabbed in the chest with a long-arm, but never swipes down, just gets rode past and dips his head. Jenkins tries to help Musty but loses sight of his surroundings and misses his own guy completely. Never even touches him.

3. Crap snap sends Fields into the overloaded side. Talk about doomed from the start. 😤 Literally could have snapped it too far to the opposite side and Fields has a huge gap. Jones needs to pass his guy to Borom who misses the inside stunt. One DL walks from Schofield and to Reiff, past Reiff and STILL makes the sack.

4. Reiff gets beat off the snap and never gives himself a chance. But Jones, damn man. Had ZERO punch, lets his EDGE dip his shoulder to basically his hip, and gets driven back. Could have at least kicked your feet back and rode the guy down. But no hand use at all. Just a horrible rep.

5. Simple stunt gets Whitehair beat inside. Seems like no communication between Jones and Whitehair.

6. WTH was Jones doing? You have Whitehair there, why are you attacking down on a guy in a pass set? Seems like a complete mental laps. Mustipher does a great job of actively doing nothing. Literally shuffled in a 1 yard box and let his guy just run around him as he stood almost straight up. Garbage.

7. Kmet on Reddick. Come on. I hold zero fault on Kmet here. That is literally like putting Musty on Aaron Donald and saying, "You got this all by yourself." Dude is a pretty good run blocker but he is NEVER going to hold Reddick one on one. Never. That is on Getsy, Leatherwood or Fields. Leatherwood attacked down, I get that you almost always take the inside rusher but why crash down so hard?

8. Jones misses his punch as it easily gets swiped away, loses his balance and gives up the inside stunt. Great work by the EDGE, made Jones look like a 5th round rookie. Lack of communication gets Whitehair hit with the EDGE and and lets his guy smoke Fields.

9. Eiselsen get put on his ***. If one of us tried to step in and block one of these guys this should happen. Not to a pro. Reiff gets whipped, Whitehair gets bullrushed back further than I like but I wouldn't say he had a true 'bad' rep. Jones has no real punch here and I hate how he gets passive in some sets. If he punches then he doesn't give near the ground he does here. You got long arms man, USE THEM!

10. Musty...dude caught the pimp hand and got smoked aside. Awesome play, I watched it like 6 times. Kinda look like he is what trips Patricks so I can't bash him much here. Other three did a great job though.

• Like 1