Random Bears Thoughts - Offseason Thread

Ty21

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Interesting that rising cap will keep some players from hitting market at same time those that do are going to see some BIIIGGG contracts.

I always think once the season ends it is just so tough to retain players…they have all the leverage of being able to just wait and tally up the best offer with what everyone else can give…

The overall figure we have might not be as big as expected but that gap between us and the rest of the league means if we really want anyone we will never be outbid.

20 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I always think once the season ends it is just so tough to retain players…they have all the leverage of being able to just wait and tally up the best offer with what everyone else can give…

The overall figure we have might not be as big as expected but that gap between us and the rest of the league means if we really want anyone we will never be outbid.

That is why I am 90% sure Payne will be a Bear in 2023.   

And likely he will be shopping for an OT.  My guess is the Jacksonville one - Taylor.

Assuming neither one gets tagged.

After that who knows.

Poles has to spend money.   He has no choice.   He may as well reup Mooney while he is at it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

That is why I am 90% sure Payne will be a Bear in 2023.   

And likely he will be shopping for an OT.  My guess is the Jacksonville one - Taylor.

Assuming neither one gets tagged.

After that who knows.

Poles has to spend money.   He has no choice.   He may as well reup Mooney while he is at it.

I think if day one we come put with Payne & Taylor then it would have been a win right off the bat...exactly the type of players we should target in terms of talent, positional value &  age.

• Like 1

Just now, Madmike90 said:

I think if day one we come put with Payne & Taylor then it would have been a win right off the bat...exactly the type of players we should target in terms of talent, positional value &  age.

Agreed.   Both 25 and entering prime.   Both coming off great seasons.   The both fill major need.   They are no brainer signings as long as no one else bids you up too much. 

The hope is neither one lays down after getting paid.   A lot of times big FAs don't work out that hard in their FA offseason compared to what they did year prior.  They travel around.  Have meetings and what not.  Teams are schmoozing them.  

And they have a down year as a result.

4 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Agreed.   Both 25 and entering prime.   Both coming off great seasons.   The both fill major need.   They are no brainer signings as long as no one else bids you up too much. 

The hope is neither one lays down after getting paid.   A lot of times big FAs don't work out that hard in their FA offseason compared to what they did year prior.  They travel around.  Have meetings and what not.  Teams are schmoozing them.  

Maybe we do need  to get Olin on staff.

Payne has a bad game, too many loafs.

Kreutz goes over to him. "That happens again and I'll break you're ******* jaw..."

Payne gets his All Pro after that.

Get Kreutz on staff and give him all the PEDs he wants. He isn't getting tested. 😁

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

I also think I am very much so on the Dre’Mont Jones train…I think if we could somehow get both Payne & Jones it would give us so much flexibility come the draft with Carter & Anderson as well as depth and match up problems…I think we need to invest the VAST majority of our cap space into the offensive & defensive lines which then makes everyone else’s jobs far easier.

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

I also think I am very much so on the Dre’Mont Jones train…I think if we could somehow get both Payne & Jones it would give us so much flexibility come the draft with Carter & Anderson as well as depth and match up problems…I think we need to invest the VAST majority of our cap space into the offensive & defensive lines which then makes everyone else’s jobs far easier.

Agree with you Mike. Having Jones and Payne as part of the rotating inside DL would be huge.  Poles can then pick up a NT in draft or FA midrange. Then Justin Jones being another rotating DT or DE puts Poles is a great spot for drafting early. Trading down to at least 4 and picking Anderson , Carter or Wilson ,the DL has become a strength. Of coarse I also believe Poles will draft an edge with one of our 3 picks in R2 or R3 regardless of who he picks in R1.

VWGpP9w.png
JSYpY83.png

My friend and I did a joint mock together, he’s a Steelers fan. Tried using that site yall used but it’s so poorly designed lol. Not realistic but was fun regardless. There’s a couple guys I shouldn’t have taken at certain spots solely because it’s utterly unrealistic they’ll ever still be around at that point. 

14 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Number of FAs depends on strategy.

Normally I think Poles wants to bargain shop in FA so you don’t end up with cap problems.  You want volume and value. The multi dart theory that Pace had (and often failed at).  But we are in different position right now. 

If Poles trades down and adds a lot of picks as is likely you have to have roster space for the young guys with potential or they get poached off PS like Zach Thomas did. It becomes a waste of time and effort.  Thomas is a low level example, but point is the PS is not a safe haven for your projects that other people like as well. You have to keep roster space for young guys you really want to keep or your draft picks just end up on other teams. 

So I think we will be involved in more large Vet signings fewer in number than signing more medium priced good vets to fill starting roles.  

I think Poles also keeps cap space as he has plans beyond this season.   Though we have all seen cap can be manipulated so that isn’t necessary, but that isn’t the Bears MO.  They are a for profit businesses. 

You don’t want all your deals ending at same time either.  You need to space contracts and FAs out. 

13 hours ago, Ty21 said:

VWGpP9w.png
JSYpY83.png

My friend and I did a joint mock together, he’s a Steelers fan. Tried using that site yall used but it’s so poorly designed lol. Not realistic but was fun regardless. There’s a couple guys I shouldn’t have taken at certain spots solely because it’s utterly unrealistic they’ll ever still be around at that point. 

I see your buddy is hoping to get the next Purdy in Duggan, which makes Pickett into the next Lance. 

I like it. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Maybe we do need  to get Olin on staff.

Payne has a bad game, too many loafs.

Kreutz goes over to him. "That happens again and I'll break you're ******* jaw..."

Payne gets his All Pro after that.

Get Kreutz on staff and give him all the PEDs he wants. He isn't getting tested. 😁

I know you are kidding, but Olin is kind of a meat head with self control issues.  He is entertaining to listen to.  I wouldn't mind hanging out with him.

I would never hire him for any kind of coaching position though.   You shouldn't be starting fights as a mature adult.  That's just immature.  

Last time I got in a fist fight I was 22 or so and I felt ridiculous after.  I even broke my hand and that still causes me problems with arthritis now and caused me problems then because I had tests to take.  I deserved that.  Even when you win a fight you lose.  

I can't even imagine it now unless I was defending myself or others.   Fighting is for impulsive children.   Or it is a sport.  Or war.

Just doing it in society is dumb.  

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I know you are kidding, but Olin is kind of a meat head with self control issues.  He is entertaining to listen to.  I wouldn't mind hanging out with him.

I would never hire him for any kind of coaching position though.   You shouldn't be starting fights as a mature adult.  That's just immature.  

Last time I got in a fist fight I was 22 or so and I felt ridiculous after.  I even broke my hand and that still causes me problems with arthritis now and caused me problems then because I had tests to take.  I deserved that.  Even when you win a fight you lose.  

I can't even imagine it now unless I was defending myself or others.   Fighting is for impulsive children.   Or it is a sport.  Or war.

Just doing it in society is dumb.  

Definitely. Seems like he'd be a fun person to hang with but you'd have to be the one that knew when to shut down a discussion that was turning south. And that might be a bit too frequent to warrant hanging out with him, idk.

Lol. Mine my last fight was 2 years ago. Dude hit me in the head with my own flashlight when I fired him. I felt stupid not for the fight, but for him still having the weapon he hit me with when I fired him. That mistake led to 11 stictches outisde of my eye. But as you mentioned, self defense rather than just stupid behavior. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Definitely. Seems like he'd be a fun person to hang with but you'd have to be the one that knew when to shut down a discussion that was turning south. And that might be a bit too frequent to warrant hanging out with him, idk.

Lol. Mine my last fight was 2 years ago. Dude hit me in the head with my own flashlight when I fired him. I felt stupid not for the fight, but for him still having the weapon he hit me with when I fired him. That mistake led to 11 stictches outisde of my eye. But as you mentioned, self defense rather than just stupid behavior. 

Yeah not much you can do when someone attacks you.  You can't account for other stupid people.  That sucks.  That probably bled a lot.  

11 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Yeah not much you can do when someone attacks you.  You can't account for other stupid people.  That sucks.  That probably bled a lot.  

Yeah, it was a good one. Mostly on him as I held him down until security got there and the police arrested him. Lol

• Like 1