QB position around the league

Pastor Dillon

We keep debating the QB issue, so I thought it would be a good idea to really discuss who needs a QB and where they are drafting. Also we need to discuss who might go after a Derek Carr or Aaron Rodgers 

lets go pick by pick 

1. Bears - They seem locked into Fields. I wouldn’t be, but they seem to be. 

3. Cardinals - hard to see them taking a QB when they have a number 1 overall pick who just signed an extension. 

4. Colts - they need a QB, without a doubt. They tried the vet route with Ryan and it didn’t work. I’d bet big that they are taking a QB in round 1 

5. - Seahawks - one of the hardest teams to gage. Geno just made a pro bowl and they are in the playoffs. I would say that the best bet is they will start Geno, Rodgers or Carr next year. 

6. - Lions - they just came out and said Goff was their QB. I would be shocked to see them go QB here 

7- Raiders. - they need a QB big time if they really are moving on from Carr. Unless mcdaniels just wants a vet, I would put them in the running for a QB. 

8- Atlanta - they need a QB but they have a lot of needs and they have 3rd rounder who played decent at the end of the season. Idk what they are gonna do. 

9- Carolina - definitely need a QB. They have some ammo to move up as well. They probably think they are a QB away from being competitive. 

10 - eagles - no chance they take a QB but they are the prime trade partner for anyone potentially moving to 10 to take a QB that slides. 

11. Titans - they need a QB, I’d be shocked if they took one though at 11. 

13 - Jets - I’m calling Aaron Rodgers to the Jets right now. 

14- Patriots - have to give Mac Jones another year 

15 - Packers - Have been grooming Love for a few years now. 

16 - Commanders - desperate for a QB 

17 - Steelers - just took one in round 1

18 - lions - probably not. 

looking at Playoff teams and you see

Tampa Bay as a team that would want a QB  

so by this calculation, QB needy teams are 

Houston
Indy
Vegas
Atlanta
carolina 
Titans
Jets
Commanders
 Bucs

thats 9 teams  

there are 4 potential 1st rounders (Young, Stroud, Levis, Richardson)

there are 4 starting level Vets who could be available (Jimmy G, Carr, Rodgers, Brady)

I wouldn’t be shocked to see it play out like this:

Texans - Young

Colts - Stroud

Raiders - Brady

Atlanta - Derek Carr

Carolina - Levis

Titans - stay with Tannehill

Jets - Aaron Rodgers 

Commanders - Jimmy G

Bucs - Richardson 

thoughts?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Warhorse said:

What if the Bears traded Fields to the Colts and selected a QB? Not saying I want this, but stranger things have happened. 

I’m starting to put a bit more thought into this - at least the idea that Fields is moved and the Bears select a QB. WHO he’s traded to remains to be seen, but Fields on the move is a definite possibility.

Ryan Poles/Matt Eberflus didn’t draft Fields; This was a Ryan Pace/Matt Nagy pick, so they’re not really tied to him. They can say they wouldn’t draft a QB unless they’re blown away by them, but why even say that to begin with? Just stand pat on Fields if you’re confident in him. 

• Like 1

Here’s another thought, has the QB position become so valuable that guys go number 1 simply because they are a QB? Look at the QBs taken number 1 overall in recent history 

2021 Lawrence 
2020 Burrow
2019 Murray
2018 Mayfield
2016 Goff
2015 Winston
2012 Luck
2011 Newton
2010 Bradford
2009 Stafford
2007 Russell
2005 Smith
2004 Manning
2003 Palmer
2002 Carr
2001 Vick

since the year 2000 only two guys take number 1 overall have won a Super Bowl and only Eli Manning did it with the team that drafted him. 

several of those guys lost in the Super Bowl and several busted out completely. 

some had good careers but not great ones. 

the point is that almost all the teams to win the Super Bowl the last 25 years have done so without taking a QB number 1 overall. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

since the year 2000 only two guys take number 1 overall have won a Super Bowl and only Eli Manning did it with the team that drafted him. 

Three guys (Manning brothers, Stafford) and Peyton won one with the Colts. 

1 hour ago, Pastor Dillon said:

the point is that almost all the teams to win the Super Bowl the last 25 years have done so without taking a QB number 1 overall. 

A few things:

- How many does Peyton Manning win without Tom Brady in his way? Not saying you count those, but a statistical anomaly such as Brady sort of ruins the analysis. 

- Is Jared Goff a SB winner if Tom Brady isn't on the Pats? Same issue here, he ran into a statistical anomaly. 

- Only two QB are undefeated in the playoffs/SB against that statistical anomaly. One is a former #1 pick on this list, the other is a career backup who has one game against him (Nick Foles).

- Stafford beat Joe Burrow for his, so that's a SB where you were going to get a guy off the list one way or another.

- Peyton beat Cam Newton, so the list goes from 3 to 4 if the Panthers OL showed up.

I don't disagree on some of what you're ultimately saying, just bringing up some interesting data within the data.