WR Talk

nicfre2011

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Is Jordan Addison going to be a first round pick?

He's got great film and IMO is a high floor slot receiver at worst. Despite his lack of great "measurables", he did run a pro ready route tree and is clearly good laterally. His smaller hands and slight frame are undoubtedly a concern, but he also does benefit from being in a very weak WR class. I think he's a first rounder this year.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

He's got great film and IMO is a high floor slot receiver at worst. Despite his lack of great "measurables", he did run a pro ready route tree and is clearly good laterally. His smaller hands and slight frame are undoubtedly a concern, but he also does benefit from being in a very weak WR class. I think he's a first rounder this year.

Very much in agreement with this 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kramxel said:

Pretty underwhelmed with this class, overall, so far in my process.

Either super light guys that won't transition well to the next level, or track suit athletes needing to learn the role.

I see a bunch of developmental guys, and not a lot of high end prospects (if any).

Yeah, it's a pretty weak class overall.

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Is Jordan Addison going to be a first round pick?

I didn't think it was a question.

38 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

JSN or Quentin Johnston first WR taken?

If it's not JSN, I'm putting the team's GM on my "****ty GM" list.

• 3 weeks later...

I am interested to get some opinions on if the impact DeVonta Smith has had in the NFL and how the Eagles have used him could serve as a template of sorts for teams when it comes to the WR prospects that lack the prototypical height and length? Year after year we hear knocks on the smaller receivers and pundits question whether they will be limited in the NFL...can they beat press coverage, etc. These aren't invalid concerns, but is there an opportunity to use how Smith is deployed emulate that for receivers like Addison, Hyatt, Flowers, Downs, Dell, and Mims, etc?

*I am not saying those prospects are in the same ballpark as Smith.

On 3/6/2023 at 9:18 AM, SmittyBacall said:

JSN or Quentin Johnston first WR taken?

Johnston isn't even a first rounder, imo.

I'd take JSN, Hyatt, Zay Flowers, 2 running backs, and even a few TEs all over him.

Edited by Epyon
  • Like 1

I was one of the earlier Johnston detractors but I fully feel like his ceiling is higher than Hyatt. My top two were always JSN and Flowers. Addison and Downs in the next tier. Then Johnston. I’m happy Johnston (and Bresee) isn’t being heralded a top 10 pick anymore because it was making me feel like I was crazy, but weighing where he could get drafted with his value, if you get him in the late first or early second you should be relatively happy. I think he could feature as a #2 outside guy. Idk how well he does against man but so far not impressed. He high points the ball better than chase Claypool, who doesn’t know how to use his size. But all my knocks on Johnston are the same for Hyatt. I think people are going to overdraft Will Fuller Lite 

On 3/26/2023 at 6:58 AM, nicfre2011 said:

I am interested to get some opinions on if the impact DeVonta Smith has had in the NFL and how the Eagles have used him could serve as a template of sorts for teams when it comes to the WR prospects that lack the prototypical height and length? Year after year we hear knocks on the smaller receivers and pundits question whether they will be limited in the NFL...can they beat press coverage, etc. These aren't invalid concerns, but is there an opportunity to use how Smith is deployed emulate that for receivers like Addison, Hyatt, Flowers, Downs, Dell, and Mims, etc?

*I am not saying those prospects are in the same ballpark as Smith.

I assume these are the guys you are talking about in the current draft?

Jordan Addison USC JR
Jalin Hyatt Tennessee
Zay Flowers Boston College
Marvin Mims Oklahoma JR
Nathaniel Dell Houston RS JR
Charlie Jones Purdue RS
Tyler Scott Cincinnati JR
Josh Downs UNC JR

Devonta Smith has changed some things no question, but the rules of the game have changed.  You cannot strike players like you used to be able to, also hand fighting at the line of scrimmage is very limited as well.  That allows smaller WRs to succeed even if they are light because it is not a matter of out muscling a DB anymore, it is being quicker than that DB and getting open because of route running not just pure speed and size anymore.

Most of the guys above are very hard to handle because of their quickness and all are in great shape and very well conditioned.

Justin Jefferson really is where it started it terms of super high end production recently from guys that fit that physical build.  Dude rips up the NFL and is not crazy strong or big or really powerful.  Is a super route runner, super quick and has great hands.  Plays tougher than his size like many of the guys above and simply put it is proven in the NFL, many guys that are shorter or lighter succeed if they have quickness, speed, good hands and are great route runners.  Also with the up tempo offenses and quick passing game, that short area quickness is killer not to mention the conditioning where one cannot keep up with that all game long and DBs will make mistakes with that volume of passing.

Tyreek Hill
Stefon Diggs
Christian Kirk
Garrett Wilson
Chris Olave
Jerry Jeudy
Diontae Johnson
Marquise Brown
Brandin Cooks
Richie James
DeAndre Carter
KJ Osborn

Here are just a few, and for a CB to match up with them is flat out hard and usually they cannot handle the change of direction or the quickness.  These dudes get open and make big plays regardless of the size.  Sure size used to be an issue for a WR but no way anymore, smaller WR, who cares honestly they can still play with the right skill set and athletic explosiveness.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I assume these are the guys you are talking about in the current draft?

Jordan Addison USC JR
Jalin Hyatt Tennessee
Zay Flowers Boston College
Marvin Mims Oklahoma JR
Nathaniel Dell Houston RS JR
Charlie Jones Purdue RS
Tyler Scott Cincinnati JR
Josh Downs UNC JR

Devonta Smith has changed some things no question, but the rules of the game have changed.  You cannot strike players like you used to be able to, also hand fighting at the line of scrimmage is very limited as well.  That allows smaller WRs to succeed even if they are light because it is not a matter of out muscling a DB anymore, it is being quicker than that DB and getting open because of route running not just pure speed and size anymore.

Most of the guys above are very hard to handle because of their quickness and all are in great shape and very well conditioned.

Justin Jefferson really is where it started it terms of super high end production recently from guys that fit that physical build.  Dude rips up the NFL and is not crazy strong or big or really powerful.  Is a super route runner, super quick and has great hands.  Plays tougher than his size like many of the guys above and simply put it is proven in the NFL, many guys that are shorter or lighter succeed if they have quickness, speed, good hands and are great route runners.  Also with the up tempo offenses and quick passing game, that short area quickness is killer not to mention the conditioning where one cannot keep up with that all game long and DBs will make mistakes with that volume of passing.

Tyreek Hill
Stefon Diggs
Christian Kirk
Garrett Wilson
Chris Olave
Jerry Jeudy
Diontae Johnson
Marquise Brown
Brandin Cooks
Richie James
DeAndre Carter
KJ Osborn

Here are just a few, and for a CB to match up with them is flat out hard and usually they cannot handle the change of direction or the quickness.  These dudes get open and make big plays regardless of the size.  Sure size used to be an issue for a WR but no way anymore, smaller WR, who cares honestly they can still play with the right skill set and athletic explosiveness.  

Ozzy,

Good feedback. I guess that after reading draft pundit write-up after write-up it is almost becoming a cliche if you are undersized (below 190 lbs), it seems the catchphrase of "likely slot only" or some other limiting descriptor is automatically used. NFL offenses seem to view that as less of a problem than the pundits. An example: Mecole Hardman seems to be limited because of his inconsistencies as a route runner (and to a lesser extent from injuries) not because of his slight frame.

Out of those names, which prospect do you think has the skillset and abilities to be deployed similar to how Smith is used by the Eagles? I am thinking Zay Flowers?

Edited by nicfre2011

27 minutes ago, nicfre2011 said:

Ozzy,

Good feedback. I guess that after reading draft pundit write-up after write-up it is almost becoming a cliche if you are undersized (below 190 lbs), it seems the catchphrase of "likely slot only" or some other limiting descriptor is automatically used. NFL offenses seem to view that as less of a problem than the pundits. An example: Mecole Hardman seems to be limited because of his inconsistencies as a route runner (and to a lesser extent from injuries) not because of his slight frame.

Out of those names, which prospect do you think has the skillset and abilities to be deployed similar to how Smith is used by the Eagles? I am thinking Zay Flowers?

I would say none of them.  DeVonta Smith has great drive and desire as a football player, has a crazy worth ethic and also has better hands arguably than any of those receivers.  Just on passion and work ethic alone not sure any of those other guys stack up.   I would say in terms of aggressive route running he is better and more pure than any of them as well.  A lot of those guys are faster and more explosive than DeVonta Smith is though but are not as refined in terms of getting open and not as talented in terms of catching the football.  

Hyatt, Mims, Scott and Jones are burners with great top end speed and Flowers has crazy quicks same with Addison and Dell.  Not sure I would say DeVonta Smith is a burner deep or crazy quick so they are different players.

19 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I would say none of them.  DeVonta Smith has great drive and desire as a football player, has a crazy worth ethic and also has better hands arguably than any of those receivers.  Just on passion and work ethic alone not sure any of those other guys stack up.   I would say in terms of aggressive route running he is better and more pure than any of them as well.  A lot of those guys are faster and more explosive than DeVonta Smith is though but are not as refined in terms of getting open and not as talented in terms of catching the football.  

Hyatt, Mims, Scott and Jones are burners with great top end speed and Flowers has crazy quicks same with Addison and Dell.  Not sure I would say DeVonta Smith is a burner deep or crazy quick so they are different players.

Addison and Flowers uncover like Devonta did in college, but he has better ball skills & is a much more nuanced route runner. Devonta Smith had the same grade as Trevor Lawrence did for me. I don't factor in positional importance, for what that's worth. I thought Devonta was as close to "generational" as you could get for WR's. He is insanely good at setting up defenders and has enough athleticism to take advantage of that.

I don't think Addison and Flowers are in the same realm as Smith, but those are the most similar, if you're trying to force a comparison (I know you're not).

• Like 1