WR Talk

nicfre2011

Yeah, Addison is great.  The size is a knock, but I've been too bearish on small WRs, and it's made me miss in the past.  He's absolutely dynamic, amazing acceleration, and looks polished.  For me, the size is the only issue with him.

I had Johnston at 1, but he was so wishy washy in the NCG that I had to bump him down.  He was getting shut down not even by Ringo, but by other Georgia DBs.

Hyatt's great, and I'd love him in the second.  But I think he's Will Fuller at the next level, and not more than that.

I worry that Johnson can get open in the NFL.  Sure he has size but that can only take you so far if you get no separation.  Spread offense Wr can be hard to judge sometimes.  It will make them lazy route runners and some of that shows with Johnson.   He does not drop his hips to make a cut so it rounds off his routes.  He is still a 1st round Wr because of his size and speed.  He has a higher ceiling than Addison but also a lower floor.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I worry that Johnson can get open in the NFL.  Sure he has size but that can only take you so far if you get no separation.  Spread offense Wr can be hard to judge sometimes.  It will make them lazy route runners and some of that shows with Johnson.   He does not drop his hips to make a cut so it rounds off his routes.  He is still a 1st round Wr because of his size and speed.  He has a higher ceiling than Addison but also a lower floor.

My biggest knock on him when I was watching games was "why is this guy not getting way more yards?"  It's like, yeah, he gets open sometimes, and Duggan misses him, but he also, and this happens way more than you want it to for a first rounder, lets lesser CBs stick on him like glue.  He has all the traits, but they don't translate to play on the field, like you would want them to.

All the top receivers have at least one major knock against them this year.  If no one separates themselves at the combine, it could be a pick your poison kind of draft, where there's no consensus No. 1.

JSN could get there with a big showing at the combine.  His only knock was his injury.  He shows he's in great shape, he could easily be the top guy.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Chase Claypool is scaring me off Johnston. I think to make it in the NFL you have to either be a great contested catch guy or be a great route runner. No matter how big, fast, strong if you can’t catch a contested pass consistently, or be so shifty(or blazingly fast) nobody can contest your catches, it’s not going to work out. That is, unless you have a great OC at scheming things open. 

I think JSN and Addison are 2 sides of the same coin.  Both are outstanding route runners.  Addison had some drop issues at Pittsburgh.  Neither has speed to blow the top off a defense.  Meaning both could be possession WR.  Again, I think both could have Amari Cooper careers but it depends on the QB.

Both are safer picks than Johnson but have lower ceilings.

Edited by jebrick
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I think JSN and Addison are 2 sides of the same coin.  Both are outstanding route runners.  Addison had some drop issues at Pittsburgh.  Neither has speed to blow the top off a defense.  Meaning both could be possession WR.  Again, I think both could have Amari Cooper careers but it depends on the QB.

I don't disagree with any of this. I think both have exceptionally high floors in the slot and/or as WR#2 types. Amari is a fair comparison, and I could even see each hitting some type of "Torry Holt" ceiling pending testing...or a JuJu type floor.

27 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Man, I think you need to watch some more Addison. 

• Like 3

FWIW - I’ve seen Addison win at all three levels, great with the ball in hand, great at winning intermediate routes, he’s torched guys on deep routes too. But, his play strength definitely should be looked at closely. He’s not nearly as effective when guys get their hands on him early.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

FWIW - I’ve seen Addison win at all three levels, great with the ball in hand, great at winning intermediate routes, he’s torched guys on deep routes too. But, his play strength definitely should be looked at closely. He’s not nearly as effective when guys get their hands on him early.

Definitely gives off the same vibes that Chris Olave did with press type coverage. It's not a "deal breaker" but it is cause for some concern.

1 hour ago, goldfishwars said:

Man, I think you need to watch some more Addison. 

More or less piggy backing off of what you're saying with what I said above, I think seeing how Olave tested put some of that to rest. We saw how fluid, sure handed, and wide open Olave could get along with body control and RAC ability at all 3 levels, so that "checked the box" on that question.

If Addison shows up and tests in a similar fashion, I think you'll see him vault and a lot of that will be put to rest. JMHO