Fixing the D in 2023 - an Ode to Purplexing.

wcblack34

I don't know...we're in a tough spot.

We dedicated 3 of our top-5 draft picks to defensive backs and we know absolutely NOTHING about them. All 3 ended up on the I.R.

So with no idea about Cine and Booth and small doses of Evans as a back-up type, we have no idea if those three (more so Cine & Booth) are part of the solution or not. That means we have to go into 2023 and spend even more on DBs in both draft capital and salary cap and pray to god Cine and Booth become something.

Then we need a DT, LBs...

Honestly, try and sign a capable veteran CB and go with P-Pat, Dantzler, FA vet, Booth at CB....Cine can get his feet wet next to Harry and hopefully take a starting gig soon....spend draft picks on the front 7, and pray Cine & Booth are both starting level players. If not, 2024 you try again.

The truly crappy part is that if we do spend 1-2 years getting back to top-16 defense, we may not have a steady QB on the roster and we'll be back to square one with a good defense and no QB.

It would have been nice to know what we have in Cine/Booth to see if there's light at the end of the tunnel and we can dedicate resources elsewhere (D-line, LB, WR2, RB)

Edited by Vikes_Bolts1228

The Vikings could clear $35M in cap space by cutting Kendricks ($9.5M), Hicks ($5M), Harrison Smith ($7.5M), and Za’Darius Smith ($13M). 

That would be quite the drastic approach to rebuilding the defense, but it might be the right thing to do. 

Although, I still think Za’Darius and Harrison Smith would look a lot better with a better DC. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

The Vikings could clear $35M in cap space by cutting Kendricks ($9.5M), Hicks ($5M), Harrison Smith ($7.5M), and Za’Darius Smith ($13M). 

That would be quite the drastic approach to rebuilding the defense, but it might be the right thing to do. 

Although, I still think Za’Darius and Harrison Smith would look a lot better with a better DC. 

I don’t think smith will be cut. But replace smith with dalvin cook and that makes sense. 

kinda torn on Z. He’s clearly still good but that’s definitely a high cap number. 

12 hours ago, SotanKing said:

well that's the hope but Cline at the moment is a total unknown

Was Cine playing/practicing ahead of Bynum much his injury? I agree he is a total unknown.  He has the athletic potential, but I don't know whether he is a good football player yet.

1 hour ago, Cearbhall said:

Was Cine playing/practicing ahead of Bynum much his injury? I agree he is a total unknown.  He has the athletic potential, but I don't know whether he is a good football player yet.

He was getting more and more reps with the ones. But Bynum earned the starting job during training camp and preseason. And even looked the part for the first handful of games. But he completely disappeared and started making a lot of mental errors for the last 10 games or so. 

I still think so much of the defense’s issues were coaching. I’ve never seen a group of players look so confused about what they were supposed to do. Especially so late in the season. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

Who would be some of the top coaching options out there for the 3-4 type defense if we move on?

Ejiro Evero might just be on the top of my list if the new staff in Denver lets him go.

I guess Evero is basically off the books as an option. Thought maybe that would be the familiar parring with him being an Ex-Ram guy who worked with KOC.
Denver has blocked him for all DC interviews but allowing him to pursue HC gigs. Would have to assume they will be looking for a HC that can work with Evero.

A couple names just to float

Brian Flores - 3/4 scheme, would fit... 
Sean Desai - another Vic Fangio disciple
Jerod Mayo - Scheme fit, no history as DC

7 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

I guess Evero is basically off the books as an option. Thought maybe that would be the familiar parring with him being an Ex-Ram guy who worked with KOC.
Denver has blocked him for all DC interviews but allowing him to pursue HC gigs. Would have to assume they will be looking for a HC that can work with Evero.

I was thinking DeSai as well 

19 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Evero would be tops on my list as well, but the only way he becomes available is if the next HC has his own guy in mind. 

21 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

My biggest issue with Flores is that he’s never struck my as a good Xs and Os guy. He’s a motivator and a leader, but I question his ability as a tactician. Similar concerns with Mayo. 

I liked the idea of Desai last year, so I’d certainly be open to the idea again. Especially after getting some experience with Pete Carrol. 

• Like 1

On 1/14/2023 at 1:41 PM, wcblack34 said:

CB Chandon Sullivan

• Expiring contract: 1 year, $1,750,000
  • 2022 salary: $1,750,000

Chandon Sullivan is

hungover-family-guy.gif

As of right now in terms of guys, if they are staying in a 3/4 Tonga should be brought back obviously.  

DE Dalvin Tomlinson/ J. Lynch
NT 
DE Harrison Phillips/ Otomewo
OLB Z. Smith/ Wonnum
ILB E. Kendricks/ Asamoah
ILB J. Hicks
OLB D. Hunter/ P. Jones
CB C. Dantzler
Slot CB
S Harrison Smith / Metellus
S Lewis Cine / C. Bynum
CB  A. Evans/ A. Booth

In more of a 4/3 base honestly it looks better, can play Asamoah as a OLB, Hicks can play OLB as well and still has great edge guys which is arguably the only strength of the team.  Could go multiple and do some 4/2/5 which could be better or 3/3/5 at times.  Sadly Hunter and Z.Smith do not drop well but I would say Hunter dropped in coverage better as a 4/3 DE than a 3/4 OLB.  

DE D. Hunter/ Wonnum
DT Dalvin Tomlinson/ J. Lynch
DT Harrison Phillips/ Otomewo
DE Z. Smith/ P. Jones
OLB Asamoah
ILB E. Kendricks
ILB J. Hicks

The secondary is clearly the issue, who is the slot and who are the starting boundary corners?  Also sucks Bynum will be on the bench if Cine is even good.  Maybe with Cine's athletic ability he can play the slot at times or cover TEs, or Bynum who did play CB in college.  Oh wait that is what Kyle Hamilton is doing on the Ravens, and Cine is way smaller and much thinner and lighter than Hamilton, seriously though Hamilton can blitz off the edge, cover the TE, cover slot receivers or drop back deep in coverage.  

If CB is not address 1st round and might not be with center on the table potentially, the best corners could all be gone by that 3rd round pick and they would have to trade back up.  These guys could be around in that 3rd round or later range and Mullen could play the slot potentially.  Ricks and Trice are both outside corners who could do well, Ricks could be great value because before the season he was a 1st round pick but did not have a great year.  Martin I like and he has great versatility and tackling and could play safety as well.

Jartavius Martin Illinois SR S/CB SR S
Tiawan Mullen Indiana SR CB
Eli Ricks Alabama JR CB
Cory Trice Purdue RS SR CB

If they are sticking with a 3/4 Keion White Georgia Tech RS SR DE should be the target in the 3rd round.  Kid is big, huge upside and can get after the passer.  Then move Phillips or Tomlinson to NT and give a productive rusher on that DL and a guy teams have to pay attention to.

19 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

Patrick Graham to me, is the one that got away but I don’t think raiders will let him leave. 

You think Ed had some soft zone coverages, wait until you see Grahams...

I do think his whole scheme is a fair amount better then Ed's.... there is actually some aggressiveness to it.