Fixing the D in 2023 - an Ode to Purplexing.

wcblack34

28 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

I guess Evero is basically off the books as an option. Thought maybe that would be the familiar parring with him being an Ex-Ram guy who worked with KOC.
Denver has blocked him for all DC interviews but allowing him to pursue HC gigs. Would have to assume they will be looking for a HC that can work with Evero.

A couple names just to float

Brian Flores - 3/4 scheme, would fit... 
Sean Desai - another Vic Fangio disciple
Jerod Mayo - Scheme fit, no history as DC

Flores I loved as a HC last year, would not mind bringing him in as the DC, Desai same thing last year I would have rather had him in as the DC.  Mayo I would not mind either but I assume he is promoted on the Patriots.

As for Brandon Staley, ehh on him as the DC but I guess it would be ok. Vic Fangio is the top guy out there no question about it but who knows if he even wants to or maybe he is just going where Sean Payton is going.  

Would not mind bringing back Andre Patterson either if he wants to but doubt he does.  

This team gave up 427 points this year with the 3-4 as their base defense. They gave up 426 points last year with the 4-3 as their base defense. 

The defensive scheme really doesn’t matter. They just A.) need someone who can coach it and design a game plan for it, and B.) get players who fit the scheme, and aren’t old/slow. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

This team gave up 427 points this year with the 3-4 as their base defense. They gave up 426 points last year with the 4-3 as their base defense. 

The defensive scheme really doesn’t matter. They just A.) need someone who can coach it and design a game plan for it, and B.) get players who fit the scheme, and aren’t old/slow. 

Agreed, and there is the reality that this defensive unit on paper, outside of the edge rushers is a mess.  That secondary was an issue before the season and is an even bigger issue after the season.  Agreed that Donatell should be fired.

The Packers, Lions and Bears all have better defensive backfields than we do.  Sure the Lions gave up a lot of big plays similar to the Vikings but they have decent young talent in Jeff Okudah, Amani Oruwariye, Kerby Joseph, Jerry Jacobs, Tracey Walker, DeShon Elliott, Will Harris, Mike Hughes, Ifeatu Melifonwu etc.  Walker was hurt all year and many others in that secondary were hurt but at least they have a decent base for a future.

Not sure the Vikings have that base but is hard to tell with Cine, Booth and Evans all being hurt last year.

Either way it is nice to have a tough football team and the Vikings were not that this past season.  Even in games they played well the D was so crap they just always let the other team back in.  

10 minutes ago, SotanKing said:

I wonder if there has been any other team that has invested as many early first two round draft picks on DBs as Vikings have in recent years but yet still have a poor DB group

What’s DB guru Mike Zimmer up to? Can’t say they didn’t give him the resources to have a strong secondary though we can’t ignore the pick burned on Gladney. Had he turned out to be a good pick, we’d be discussing how to extend him like Jefferson and maybe the CB group wouldn’t be as terrible as it is now.

19 minutes ago, SotanKing said:

I wonder if there has been any other team that has invested as many early first two round draft picks on DBs as Vikings have in recent years but yet still have a poor DB group

This team has always been snakebitten on 1st and 2nd round picks on CBs, outside of Xavier Rhodes.

1 hour ago, VikeManDan said:

Who are some external FAs that we could/should be looking at?

Defense we are about clueless until we find out the DC position. Offensive wise the real only players I see that could “make a difference” and be somewhat affordable is DJ Chark. 

I really like the idea of someone like Mecole Hardman, but even without playing a vast majority of snaps or even truly breaking out I think he will gain a pretty decent contract.

15 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

What’s DB guru Mike Zimmer up to? Can’t say they didn’t give him the resources to have a strong secondary though we can’t ignore the pick burned on Gladney. Had he turned out to be a good pick, we’d be discussing how to extend him like Jefferson and maybe the CB group wouldn’t be as terrible as it is now.

The sad thing is that Gladney had no character issues prior to the draft.  He just went down an unfortunate spiral and came to a tragic end.  The other DB picks were lauded at the time, but didn't pan out.  For all the talk about how DBs were drafted, in Zimmer's last 5 years, it was only Hughes and Gladney that were taken before the 3rd round.  He really may not have been given the resources to deal with the position once Rhodes, Waynes and Alexander were gone.  

4 minutes ago, swede700 said:

The sad thing is that Gladney had no character issues prior to the draft.  He just went down an unfortunate spiral and came to a tragic end.

That is not true. He did have some flags. Here is an article

https://www.si.com/nfl/vikings/news/geography-red-flags-character-vikings-risk-jeff-gladney

Edited by battle2heaven

Just now, swede700 said:

I did forget about that, so thank you...but they didn't seem to be that major at the time, which may be why I had forgotten.  😉

Maybe. I don't want to continue to speak ill of Gladney. He has some issues, but he also had a lot of good things going for him which made him a first round pick. Life sometimes, is full of tragedy. Rest in peace, Jeff.

• Like 2

What it should tell you and what is becoming increasingly clear is that it's even more of a talent issue than a schematic issue.  While yes, Donatell didn't scheme it well enough to disguise the deficiencies in talent (which Zimmer was much better at), it wasn't all his fault.