Fixing the D in 2023 - an Ode to Purplexing.

wcblack34

14 minutes ago, swede700 said:

What it should tell you and what is becoming increasingly clear is that it's even more of a talent issue than a schematic issue.  While yes, Donatell didn't scheme it well enough to disguise the deficiencies in talent (which Zimmer was much better at), it wasn't all his fault.  

The talent was far from superior. In reality when we go back and look at it, who had two practice squad players, a 32 year old CB as some of our highest graded players on defense. Cam Bynum who did play his way in, but we do have a safety we took in the 1st round injured. 

Our LB group all year never showed up besides on the tackle log. Anytime anything seemed to be in space they were beat. 

The defense has a whole lot of improvement to do but Ed’s defense did nothing to hide really any of our weaknesses. I’m not saying we have a top 20 defense, but I would say we could have been better than 31st.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Really expected this type of response.  If it was a clear-cut decision to fire him it would have been done already.

I think the decision to fire him has already been made. This press conference was to reflect on the success of the season, and taking that positivity moving forward into 2023. 

I’m expecting a press release about Ed’s firing by the end of the week. Otherwise they would have expressed a lot more confidence in him than using the “ongoing evaluation” phrase. 

18 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I think the decision to fire him has already been made. This press conference was to reflect on the success of the season, and taking that positivity moving forward into 2023. 

I’m expecting a press release about Ed’s firing by the end of the week. Otherwise they would have expressed a lot more confidence in him than using the “ongoing evaluation” phrase. 

We'll just have to see.  Obviously, it's not a ringing endorsement.  Here's an out of the box suggestion...fire Donatell and,  if you can't get a guy like Fangio or Evero, bring Nick Rallis back home to run the defense.  He's spent the last 2 years under Gannon in Philly and knows how to run a hybrid 3-4, 4-3 defense.  

Edited by swede700

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

We'll just have to see.  Obviously, it's not a ringing endorsement.  Here's an out of the box suggestion...fire Donatell and,  if you can't get a guy like Fangio or Evero, bring Nick Rallis back home to run the defense.  He's spent the last 2 years under Gannon in Philly and knows how to run a hybrid 3-4, 4-3 defense.  

I got the O’Connell prediction right last year, so I’ll shoot my shot and predict Jerod Mayo as the next Vikings’ DC. 

• Like 1

I really hope we go into next season with Za'darius and Danielle as our starting Edge rushers.

In hindsight I think it's clear Za'darius should have been shut down after the Bills game to fully heal rather than playing through injury. KOC should get Jones and DJ on the field more to keep Z fresher for December and January.

I think they can be a top 5 pass rush duo next year.

• Like 2

My issue with Za’Darius is that it’s two years in a row with injuries. And for someone who’s going to be 31 to start the season, it’s hard for me to trust that he’s going to be available for the full season or even half of it. 

If Smith is willing to sign a new contract that pays him like a rotational player, great! Keep him. But if he’s expecting to get paid like a starter, I’m willing to move on and find a younger player. 

There’s also the aspect of where he fits in a new coordinator’s scheme. If the Vikings hire another Fangio disciple, then I’d be more willing to keep him. If they hire a coordinator with a different system, like Flores, there are a lot more questions to ask. 

• Like 1