Teams Blowing Up Their Roster-Possible Trade Opportunities?

Just Want A Title

There are a number of teams that really flamed out this year and look to be starting over.  Those teams may look to have a fire-sale to accumulate draft picks.  There could be an opportunity for the Lions to pick up a player that would help them at a reasonable cost.  The dumpster fire teams in question:  Cardinals, Panthers, Saints (Salary Cap Hell), Atlanta, Raiders, Broncos, Browns, Colts and Texans.  Some potential targets

1.  Colts DT Deforest Buckner:  Putting him next to Alim McNeil would solve a lot of problems.  Indianapolis would save $19M in cap space.  This would give the Lions a chance to create a really good DT rotation and a dominant D-line.  Everything I have read about him indicates he would be a great locker room fit.  The colts gave up #14 to get him but I don't think they are going to get that with him going into his 8th season

2. Cardinals LB Isaiah Simmons/Taven Collins:  The change in coaching staff will likely result in a defensive scheme change.  Simmons has quietly become a very good LB and Taven Collins is right behind him.  I don't see the Cardinals keeping two high-end LBs who are more off-the-ball LBs.  Isaiah Simmons can do so many things well and will fill a pass coverage void.  Taven Collins has could drastically improve our run game and has better range for a player his size than you would expect

3. Raiders PK Daniel Carlson:  This may seem a bit out of left-field but he is a legit pro-bowl kicker who would settle our PK question from day 1.  The Lions may not want a young kicker as they position this team for their first playoff run.  The Raiders are a mess and having a Pro Bowl PK may not be something that holds a lot of interest for them.  Check out his stats from the last three years-https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CarlDa00.htm

What are some other scenarios that you think might play out?

Not a team blowing things up, but the Lions should be calling San Francisco for a price on Trey Lance. I have to believe Purdy is going to stay the guy, which means they’re probably going to want value for Lance. I would give up a 2nd or 3rd for him and see if he can’t become QBOTF. 

4 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

There are a number of teams that really flamed out this year and look to be starting over.  Those teams may look to have a fire-sale to accumulate draft picks.  There could be an opportunity for the Lions to pick up a player that would help them at a reasonable cost.  The dumpster fire teams in question:  Cardinals, Panthers, Saints (Salary Cap Hell), Atlanta, Raiders, Broncos, Browns, Colts and Texans.  Some potential targets

1.  Colts DT Deforest Buckner:  Putting him next to Alim McNeil would solve a lot of problems.  Indianapolis would save $19M in cap space.  This would give the Lions a chance to create a really good DT rotation and a dominant D-line.  Everything I have read about him indicates he would be a great locker room fit.  The colts gave up #14 to get him but I don't think they are going to get that with him going into his 8th season

2. Cardinals LB Isaiah Simmons/Taven Collins:  The change in coaching staff will likely result in a defensive scheme change.  Simmons has quietly become a very good LB and Taven Collins is right behind him.  I don't see the Cardinals keeping two high-end LBs who are more off-the-ball LBs.  Isaiah Simmons can do so many things well and will fill a pass coverage void.  Taven Collins has could drastically improve our run game and has better range for a player his size than you would expect

3. Raiders PK Daniel Carlson:  This may seem a bit out of left-field but he is a legit pro-bowl kicker who would settle our PK question from day 1.  The Lions may not want a young kicker as they position this team for their first playoff run.  The Raiders are a mess and having a Pro Bowl PK may not be something that holds a lot of interest for them.  Check out his stats from the last three years-https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CarlDa00.htm

What are some other scenarios that you think might play out?

Good topic idea, was thinking of making something like this too!

I suspect Buckner might be too old/expensive for Holmes' taste, but he's still playing at a high level. 2nd round pick I'll do it.

2 hours ago, winitall said:

Not a team blowing things up, but the Lions should be calling San Francisco for a price on Trey Lance. I have to believe Purdy is going to stay the guy, which means they’re probably going to want value for Lance. I would give up a 2nd or 3rd for him and see if he can’t become QBOTF. 

I don't see that happening this year, Trey has a dead cap hit and we would just be trading for a back up at that value.

On 1/14/2023 at 8:27 PM, winitall said:

No real reason for them to do that unless they get a crazy offer. They kept Jimmy G all year just to have insurance.