What is next for the eliminated teams

stl4life07

On 1/29/2023 at 3:01 PM, stl4life07 said:

Another year of the almost but no cigar for the Niners. Their main issue is the QB position. Yes people will say IF Purdy didnt get hurt. They wouldnt have won if Purdy didnt get hurt. Hurts was the superior QB even less than 100% himself and it showed. The Niners need to go get themselves a real QB. They dont need to just roll with a pretty good QB that Kyle and the roster make look really good in the system. If they continue to roll with Purdy the results are going to continue to be the same. Almost but no cigar. They better hope Lance develops to what many think he could be when he came out bc if he doesnt the Niners are going to be stuck with a nice QB but not that QB that will put them over the hump.

I love the Niners roster too. They could go down as the team that had everything you want EXCEPT for the QB and thats the reason they never won a Superbowl. And the worst part is Kyle really never tried outside of trading up for Lance to truly get that QB. If I was a Niners fan thats the worst part. Thats worse than a losing franchise not doing all they can to build a team to win a championship. Like Deebo, Bosa, Kittle and these other talented players on the Niners roster arent getting any younger. And you will have to think eventually some of them will move on to another team in the future. They cant keep everyone long term. They were literally so close to losing Deebo in the offseason over a contract. So like they need to capitalize now. Go get a legit QB so the Niners can actually win a Superbowl.

The NFC isnt the strongest so next season the Niners will be back at the top of the the conference as favs to go to the Superbowl. They will be a top 5 fav in the NFL to win it all but until they truly solve their QB situation I wouldnt bet on them. In the NFC Ill bet on the Eagles and a healthy and motivated Rams team to come out of the NFC to reach the Superbowl. I wont even count out the Lions but they have to get their defense fixed. They need to go all defense in the draft and make a big defensive splash in FA too. They could be next season what the Eagles are this season if they fix their defense to go along with a great offense. Why? Bc in the end Purdy isnt going to carry the Niners over the hump. Jimmy G will be gone and we know NOTHING about Lance still.

You have no idea how the game would have gone if Purdy was playing...Anyone saying they do is lying lol. And Hurts is the superior QB but what exactly did he do yesterday that was amazing? The game would have been competitive and coming down to the wire as most predicted before the game.

The 49ers were in the Stafford sweepstakes and have inquired about Rodgers in the past but Kyle traded freaking three first round picks for Lance. How is that not acknowledging he needed more at the position from Jimmy? What Purdy did after taking over from Jimmy was great and all but it's not like Kyle had any plans of playing the kid this season....It just happened due to the circumstances. 

The FO/Shanny may decide they need to sign someone like Brady for a year but it is more likely they roll with Lance and Purdy. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

You have no idea how the game would have gone if Purdy was playing...Anyone saying they do is lying lol. And Hurts is the superior QB but what exactly did he do yesterday that was amazing? The game would have been competitive and coming down to the wire as most predicted before the game.

The 49ers were in the Stafford sweepstakes and have inquired about Rodgers in the past but Kyle traded freaking three first round picks for Lance. How is that not acknowledging he needed more at the position from Jimmy? What Purdy did after taking over from Jimmy was great and all but it's not like Kyle had any plans of playing the kid this season....It just happened due to the circumstances. 

The FO/Shanny may decide they need to sign someone like Brady for a year but it is more likely they roll with Lance and Purdy. 

Yes, the Eagles offense yesterday very unremarkable, and the final score does not indicate that. 49ers in all of their ineptitude actually averaged more yards per play compared to the Eagles. Jalen Hurts was 15/25 for 125 yards with no passing TDs. He did have the one rushing TD. We'll never know how Purdy would have played if he didn't that freak injury. 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I do think we all know how it would’ve went. Regardless of if it would’ve been closer or not the Eagles would’ve still won. And these are the excuses still being made for the Niners. If Jimmy G would’ve made one pass to Sanders in the Superbowl against the Chiefs? If Tartt would’ve caught that int against the Rams in the NFCCG? If Purdy didn’t get hurt against the Eagles in the NFCCG?

So you notice the trend? Look on the other side. Mahomes superior to Jimmy G made the plays in the 4th to comeback and win. Stafford superior to Jimmy G made the plays in the 4th to comeback and win. Hurts is superior to Purdy so even if Purdy stayed healthy Hurts would’ve still found a way to make the plays to win. 

One thing we do know is if you don’t have a legit QB you won’t get over that hump and win a Superbowl. It’s rare nowadays to see what Foles did with the Eagles or what Dilfer did with the Ravens or what Johnson did with the Bucs. So I guess if that rare moment pops back up it could happen but no team should bank on that. Purdy is nice but Lance is who the Niners really banking on. If he reaches his potential now we are talking. If he doesn’t then the Niners won’t get over the hump with no QB on their current roster unless it’s one of those rare moments. 

On 1/29/2023 at 10:32 PM, stl4life07 said:

And the streak still stands. The starting QB of the Superbowl loser don’t make it back the following season. Burrow had a great shot and just came up short. I still believe in this team moving forward. As long as Burrow stays healthy they will always have a shot. 

I do think they need to get healthy on the OL and might need to improve more on it. They have some work to do on defense to keep it strong. Also let’s see what happens with Mixon. Other than that they will still be Superbowl contenders in the NFL. The AFCN should be interesting next season assuming Lamar stays with the Ravens, Watson starts looking like his old self again and the continued growth of Pickett. So it’s not going to be easy for the Bengals in the division but they have a heck of a team and they proved this season that last season wasn’t a fluke. Pay Burrow and Chase and keep them a very very long time if not for their entire career. 

Yes, their OL needs to get healthy.  Burrow was under siege all night long.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

I do think we all know how it would’ve went. Regardless of if it would’ve been closer or not the Eagles would’ve still won. And these are the excuses still being made for the Niners. If Jimmy G would’ve made one pass to Sanders in the Superbowl against the Chiefs? If Tartt would’ve caught that int against the Rams in the NFCCG? If Purdy didn’t get hurt against the Eagles in the NFCCG?

So you notice the trend? Look on the other side. Mahomes superior to Jimmy G made the plays in the 4th to comeback and win. Stafford superior to Jimmy G made the plays in the 4th to comeback and win. Hurts is superior to Purdy so even if Purdy stayed healthy Hurts would’ve still found a way to make the plays to win. 

One thing we do know is if you don’t have a legit QB you won’t get over that hump and win a Superbowl. It’s rare nowadays to see what Foles did with the Eagles or what Dilfer did with the Ravens or what Johnson did with the Bucs. So I guess if that rare moment pops back up it could happen but no team should bank on that. Purdy is nice but Lance is who the Niners really banking on. If he reaches his potential now we are talking. If he doesn’t then the Niners won’t get over the hump with no QB on their current roster unless it’s one of those rare moments. 

Don't forget the best QB named Joe to ever win a SB.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

Regardless of how many times you keep repeating it.....it's simply not true. You don't know if Hurts would have found a way or not. In fact, the Eagles passing game aside from the first drive where they got a big chunk play to Smith, was held to check. Could he have found a way to get it done? Sure, but saying we all know he would have is not true. 

The Niners have fallen short, sure....But they literally traded three first round picks for a QB so when you say Shanny doesn't want to improve at the position or want a game changer, that's just wrong. Unfortunately with Lance's injury in week 2, we never saw what he could have become at the end of the season. The team may elect to sign Brady for a year and go all in trying to win it in 2023 or they stay the course with Lance/Purdy and go that route. Either way, it is disappointing the most talented team in the Shanny era did not have a fair shot to prove they were good enough to win it all.

On to the next.............

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Regardless of how many times you keep repeating it.....it's simply not true. You don't know if Hurts would have found a way or not. In fact, the Eagles passing game aside from the first drive where they got a big chunk play to Smith, was held to check. Could he have found a way to get it done? Sure, but saying we all know he would have is not true. 

The Niners have fallen short, sure....But they literally traded three first round picks for a QB so when you say Shanny doesn't want to improve at the position or want a game changer, that's just wrong. Unfortunately with Lance's injury in week 2, we never saw what he could have become at the end of the season. The team may elect to sign Brady for a year and go all in trying to win it in 2023 or they stay the course with Lance/Purdy and go that route. Either way, it is disappointing the most talented team in the Shanny era did not have a fair shot to prove they were good enough to win it all.

On to the next.............

Well I dont ever recall me saying Kyle doesnt want to improve the QB position. He had chances and just couldnt get the job done. Not just trying to get Stafford or Brady but he passed on Watson and Mahomes by drafting a DL Solomon Thomas who isnt even on the team anymore. They decided to continue to roll with Jimmy G. Yes he did trade three 1st round picks to get Lance. Lance is a raw prospect that we assume would reach his potential. Now injuries have unfortunately stopped that. Currently though the Niners QB position is unknown moving forward. A stacked roster around it. Will Kyle just stay put and see how Lance and Purdy will develop? Will he go out and make a move for a legit QB that will be that missing piece to put them over the hump? We shall see.

I just think that in that Philly game it wouldnt have matter. Yes its a debate bc Purdy got hurt. So we can go back and forth. Purdy got hurt bc the Niners couldnt block the Eagles pass rush. I hate to say this but if Purdy didnt get hurt then he wouldve probably got hurt later. You cant send a tight end to block the Eagles leading sack defender of 16 sacks on a playaction pass and expect great results. The Eagles are sacking QBs at a high rate. They are at home against a rookie QB. I knew the Eagles should win that game bc a rookie QB would be overwhelmed in that situation. Purdy was no different. Thats why a rookie starting QB has never made it to the Superbowl. The further they advance in the playoffs if they get that far the harder it will become and they get overwhelmed. So yes we would like to think the Niners wouldve won had Purdy been healthy but history shows it wouldnt have happened. Probably a closer game and the Niners wouldve had a chance in the 4th quarter but the Eagles wouldve found a way to win still.

1 minute ago, stl4life07 said:

Well I dont ever recall me saying Kyle doesnt want to improve the QB position. He had chances and just couldnt get the job done. Not just trying to get Stafford or Brady but he passed on Watson and Mahomes by drafting a DL Solomon Thomas who isnt even on the team anymore. They decided to continue to roll with Jimmy G. Yes he did trade three 1st round picks to get Lance. Lance is a raw prospect that we assume would reach his potential. Now injuries have unfortunately stopped that. Currently though the Niners QB position is unknown moving forward. A stacked roster around it. Will Kyle just stay put and see how Lance and Purdy will develop? Will he go out and make a move for a legit QB that will be that missing piece to put them over the hump? We shall see.

I just think that in that Philly game it wouldnt have matter. Yes its a debate bc Purdy got hurt. So we can go back and forth. Purdy got hurt bc the Niners couldnt block the Eagles pass rush. I hate to say this but if Purdy didnt get hurt then he wouldve probably got hurt later. You cant send a tight end to block the Eagles leading sack defender of 16 sacks on a playaction pass and expect great results. The Eagles are sacking QBs at a high rate. They are at home against a rookie QB. I knew the Eagles should win that game bc a rookie QB would be overwhelmed in that situation. Purdy was no different. Thats why a rookie starting QB has never made it to the Superbowl. The further they advance in the playoffs if they get that far the harder it will become and they get overwhelmed. So yes we would like to think the Niners wouldve won had Purdy been healthy but history shows it wouldnt have happened. Probably a closer game and the Niners wouldve had a chance in the 4th quarter but the Eagles wouldve found a way to win still.

Now you are bringing history in it as if many rookie QBs have reached the conference championship game in the first place lol. You are moving goalposts. And how exactly did they continue to roll with Jimmy G? He was signed to be the back up this season and every team would love to have someone like as an back up. They have been trying to move off of him since 2020. 

Sure, he should have evaluated the QBs in 2017 but as @Forge mentioned, teams rarely go with a QB with their first pick when they have a new HC and GM. They wanted to build through the trenches before getting their future QB. 

You can't send a TE to block the Eagles leading sack defender? I mean that happens EVERY single week with this offense. They were sending TEs to block Parsons last week....Teams send TEs to block Bosa....That's how you make it work on those types of play actions. You are banking on the edge rushers hesitating enough to allow the TE to hold up just enough before the QB gets rid of the ball. Unfortunately that did not happen on Sunday. 

You know what slows down a vaunted pass rush? A good run game and the Niners had just that in the first half. The defense would have gotten to rest more, the offense would have been more effective moving the ball and it's a totally different ball game. Again, you, nor I or anyone else know how that games with Purdy at QB.

As for what Kyle does? Again, I can see them signing Brady for a year or just rolling with what they have. If they can get a guaranteed 2-3 more seasons from Rodgers, they maayyyy try to make that move but that's going to be awfully hard to pull off, especially with the players we have to play in the upcoming years. 

7 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Now you are bringing history in it as if many rookie QBs have reached the conference championship game in the first place lol. You are moving goalposts. And how exactly did they continue to roll with Jimmy G? He was signed to be the back up this season and every team would love to have someone like as an back up. They have been trying to move off of him since 2020. 

Sure, he should have evaluated the QBs in 2017 but as @Forge mentioned, teams rarely go with a QB with their first pick when they have a new HC and GM. They wanted to build through the trenches before getting their future QB. 

You can't send a TE to block the Eagles leading sack defender? I mean that happens EVERY single week with this offense. They were sending TEs to block Parsons last week....Teams send TEs to block Bosa....That's how you make it work on those types of play actions. You are banking on the edge rushers hesitating enough to allow the TE to hold up just enough before the QB gets rid of the ball. Unfortunately that did not happen on Sunday. 

You know what slows down a vaunted pass rush? A good run game and the Niners had just that in the first half. The defense would have gotten to rest more, the offense would have been more effective moving the ball and it's a totally different ball game. Again, you, nor I or anyone else know how that games with Purdy at QB.

As for what Kyle does? Again, I can see them signing Brady for a year or just rolling with what they have. If they can get a guaranteed 2-3 more seasons from Rodgers, they maayyyy try to make that move but that's going to be awfully hard to pull off, especially with the players we have to play in the upcoming years. 

Thats odd that teams would try to build through the trenches before getting their future QB. Usually its getting the QB then in the 2nd round get that trench guy like a LT or DL unless there is no franchise QB and a surefire potential HOF LT or DL. So that was the first mistake made by the Niners.

You are right though not many rookies reach the conference championship game.

I get what you are saying. Im just thinking about a rookie on the road with a team that literally is sacking the QB at a very high rate throughout the season. Just is a recipe for disaster and it was. Honestly could be more hindsight talking but yeah I know Kyle is wishing he could reduo that play.

If I was the Niners Id definitely go after Brady for at least one season. From what I heard the reason why the Niners didnt go after Brady when he was a free agent before was Kyle dont want to give up his system. With Brady he is going to want to run his own type of offense. I think thats one of the main reasons Arians left from coaching the Bucs. So if Brady and Kyle could mesh together when it comes to the offense I think it would work. Aint no way the Packers are trading ARod to the Niners even if the Niners had every piece to go get him. To me its Brady or just stick it out with Lance and Purdy and hope for the best. Although I think Carr would be interesting. I just dont think the Niners would go for him.

2 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

Thats odd that teams would try to build through the trenches before getting their future QB. Usually its getting the QB then in the 2nd round get that trench guy like a LT or DL unless there is no franchise QB and a surefire potential HOF LT or DL. So that was the first mistake made by the Niners.

You are right though not many rookies reach the conference championship game.

I get what you are saying. Im just thinking about a rookie on the road with a team that literally is sacking the QB at a very high rate throughout the season. Just is a recipe for disaster and it was. Honestly could be more hindsight talking but yeah I know Kyle is wishing he could reduo that play.

If I was the Niners Id definitely go after Brady for at least one season. From what I heard the reason why the Niners didnt go after Brady when he was a free agent before was Kyle dont want to give up his system. With Brady he is going to want to run his own type of offense. I think thats one of the main reasons Arians left from coaching the Bucs. So if Brady and Kyle could mesh together when it comes to the offense I think it would work. Aint no way the Packers are trading ARod to the Niners even if the Niners had every piece to go get him. To me its Brady or just stick it out with Lance and Purdy and hope for the best. Although I think Carr would be interesting. I just dont think the Niners would go for him.

You don't pay Carr what you have to over sticking with Purdy/Lance being a cheap QB room while still being good enough to compete for a SB. You break the bank for a game changer and Brady/Rodgers would be that.

I just think the team miscalculated Brady's 2019 season and thought while he may be better than Jimmy, he is getting up in age and slipping while Jimmy did a solid job in his true season as an starter. That obviously did not work out but I don't think I heard anything about Shanny being scared of having to give up his system for Brady....If Brady comes here, it will be because he respects Kyle and wants to take advantage of this system.

I really don't think Kyle is thinking he should redo the play. It's simply he does every week and it's part of why the play action works. If Purdy steps up even a bit in a clean pocket, it is likely a TD to Aiyuk and no one is talking about having a TE blocking Reddick. 

• 2 weeks later...

The Eagles fell short of winning the Superbowl but they had an incredible season.

Moving forward I want to see them get battled tested bc they weren’t this season. They had the easiest schedule I think I’ve ever seen in a season from regular season to throughout the playoffs. It showed too bc when the played good to great QBs which was rare this season they gave up a ton of points and either lost or it was close. 

Hurts have to continue to get better as a passer bc when situations like tonight happen where they couldn’t run like they wanted too he can still throw them to a win especially late in the game when they were trailing. The Eagles also have to pay Hurts then it’s going to get harder to keep their great roster in tact. They will probably be the favs to come out of the NFC next season but just remember that teams don’t usually win back to back in the NFCE division. Also starting QBs that lose the Superbowl don’t go back so next season is going to be interesting to see how the Eagles will do moving forward. I like this team but I just want to see them get battled tested and Hurts continue to develop as a passer so when they have to throw late in games bc they are trailing can he do it successfully. 

On 1/21/2023 at 11:26 PM, stl4life07 said:

I do want to see some blowouts from them next season and for them to beat some good teams too for them to show me some growth next season.

Didn't see this till today or would have responded then. First the Giants were 7-2 before they lost their two most important players in the secondary. If we had those two players healthy I believe we sweep the Commanders and beat the Vikings the first time we played them. Second the Giants did play quality teams, they defeated the Vikings in the playoffs and defeated two afc playoff teams, the Ravens and Jaguars. We also defeated teams that would have made the playoffs if they defeated us, such as the Commanders and the Packers. 

Due to the degree of difficulty of having to face the AFC East the NFC West and the Cowboys and Eagles twice next season, I can see some regression. However that means several other teams would have to step up to take a Wildcard spot from the Giants. The only team I feel strongly about doing that is the Lions.