2023 Offseason thread

Emerica

1 hour ago, Tetsujin said:

Projected to be a few million over the cap for 2023 as of now. Very few cuts to be made for savings. Lots of guys with dead cap. We can always restructure but are we gonna turn into the Saints and be in future salary cap he’ll. 

This very much feels like a "let's get back healthy and run it back'' type of offseason, in part bc they went damn near all in with this group and don't have much flexibility. Only major move i think happens is Boyer getting canned. The rest will probably be depth signings and roster trimming to fit around the cap.

Feels like next season is going to be the make or break year for a lot of folks namely Tua, Grier and McDaniel. They are tied at the hip at this point.

Cutting Byron Jones saves 4M

Cutting Ingold saves 3M

Cutting Carter saves us 2M

Cutting Smythe saves us 3.5M

Cutting Igby saves 1M

Cutting R. Davis saves 1.4M

Cutting the kicker saves us 3.7M (he’s lucky he turned it around)

Cutting Crossen saves 3M

No other real cut candidates. We have 38 players under contract for 2023.

Edited by Tetsujin
  • Like 2

I think resigning Wilkins is a priority. I expect Miami to exercise Tua’s 5th year option as well though that doesn’t affect this years cap. Gisecki is gone not sure about Smythe. Byron Jones should be. They will find money though by restructuring/ adding voidable years etc. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Phinsesq said:

I think resigning Wilkins is a priority. I expect Miami to exercise Tua’s 5th year option as well though that doesn’t affect this years cap. Gisecki is gone not sure about Smythe. Byron Jones should be. They will find money though by restructuring/ adding voidable years etc. 

Wilkins got the 5th year option which helps us avoid the franchise tag, but as good as he is it's just difficult to break the bank for ANY position that isn't one of the 5 critical positions IMO.  I wouldn't be surprised at all if Wilkins is playing somewhere else in 2024.  Gesicki isn't coming back but I expect to see Smythe back, he is under contract for 2023 and without a first round pick I doubt we are looking to create more roster needs.

I think Jones wants out of Miami and I'm sure we will try to trade him.  We should try to do the same with Cedrick Wilson too IMO.

Definitely need to bring back Mostert and Jeff Wilson.  Both are big value players and shouldn't cost much.

Edited by Swampbilly

14 minutes ago, Swampbilly said:

Wilkins got the 5th year option which helps us avoid the franchise tag, but as good as he is it's just difficult to break the bank for ANY position that isn't one of the 5 critical positions IMO.  I wouldn't be surprised at all if Wilkins is playing somewhere else in 2024.  Gesicki isn't coming back but I expect to see Smythe back, he is under contract for 2023 and without a first round pick I doubt we are looking to create more roster needs.

I think Jones wants out of Miami and I'm sure we will try to trade him.  We should try to do the same with Cedrick Wilson too IMO.

I think we should keep Wilson, we were just blessed in the wr department injury wise as opposed to other years. though if Eazy E is developing maybe they can part with him. Good deal on Wilkins I thought he was FA for some reason. 

10 minutes ago, Phinsesq said:

I think we should keep Wilson, we were just blessed in the wr department injury wise as opposed to other years. though if Eazy E is developing maybe they can part with him. Good deal on Wilkins I thought he was FA for some reason. 

Easy E and cap are exactly why I think we should try to move Wilson.  

Once we traded for and signed Chubb I immediately felt like that will prevent us from re-signing Wilkins, but to be fair Wilkins team is probably talking about being paid the kind of money we spent on Chubb and Wilkins just doesn't have the positional value IMO.

3 hours ago, Swampbilly said:

Once we traded for and signed Chubb I immediately felt like that will prevent us from re-signing Wilkins, but to be fair Wilkins team is probably talking about being paid the kind of money we spent on Chubb and Wilkins just doesn't have the positional value IMO.

Wilkins might not have the positional value but he absolutely played up to that level. It would be a major blow to our defense to lose him...

3 hours ago, Swampbilly said:

Look for Miami to extend Wilkins this offseason.  They can make his base salary low and pay him guaranteed bonus money to spread the cap hit.  Doing this with guys who are young and the team is committed to is no issue.  Its the older guy that you break the bank for and sign for 4-5 years and he is only going to give you 2 great years where you get yourself in trouble.

Tyreek, Chubb and Ogbah will more than likely restructure to convert salary into bonus.  Save money by spreading.  Grier is actually one of the best in the league at this.  Miami is fine.  Don't read into media BS.  Austin Jackson and Iggy collectively will make >$8m this season.  That fully comes off the books for 2024.  Those two will not be coming back.  They will however need to make a decision between Raekwon Davis and Sieler at some point after 2023.  

3 hours ago, Rgossett07 said:

They will however need to make a decision between Raekwon Davis and Sieler at some point after 2023.  

There should be no need for a decision on this.... the play is obviously to keep Sieler and kick Davis to the curb. High draft pick or not, I see no use for a nose tackle who constantly gets pushed around like a rag-doll.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

There should be no need for a decision on this.... the play is obviously to keep Sieler and kick Davis to the curb. High draft pick or not, I see no use for a nose tackle who constantly gets pushed around like a rag-doll.

Davis does show flashes, but they are just too few and far between.  No-brainer to keep Sieler over him.  

• Like 1